It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Very good suggestion.
Reading to your children has many benefits.

Just to add, It's been awhile since I posted this and it's nice to see it dredged back up.
Sinsc My las post on this thread I've been reading about writing (of cours writing as well) and I've been reading about beekeeping.
Actually very interesting.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

i read a great deal
i juggle about 3 books at a time and a few a week i go through
this statistic is terrible and shocking
if 80% of the people dont read much or at all whay is it still so difficult to show worth in a the current market place of business- job seeking and advancement?
and regardless of media reading books is an important practice- it is more transportable and easier on the eyes, and only when reading it a habit does it show the value of books. I don't think they will ever disappear.
with the failure of companies such as eInk and what not making reading tablets it just is not the same.
(p.s. forgive spelling errors i am on a non QWERTY keyboard)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I don't think books will disappear but I think that they will be less of a bulk commodity and will get more and more expensive.
The new story readers and e-books are great and may even increase reading in the long run.
They won't replace paper and ink though. At least not for a while.
I hope never.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Wow, I can't even imagine not reading.
I even read the ingredients and dietary stats on food packages. I don't care about whats in the food, if I am idle I must read something, anything.

I read Fahrenheit 451 and later watched the movie and so amazed at the idea of people memorizing books to keep them alive in a Orwellian police state that openly burned them, that I memorized one myself. I also love the sound of an old manual typewriter smacking away. I own one and use it when ever I write letters or papers that need to be typed. Its like a literary machine gun spewing out information, entertainment, creativity and inspiration and only those that can't or don't read suffer, whether they know it or not.

BTW I HIGHLY recommend "Darkness at Noon" by Arthur Koestler to any ATS-er.

[edit on 13/1/09 by Pfeil]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I read alot... but I read fanfiction, ebooks, or things I find intresting on the internet mostly. Or to the Library. I really want to read The Host, but I never have any money and every time I mention it to my sig other he always says next time and next time it never happens
. . And The Host is always checked out at the Library... other than that I read a lot of kids books... only because I try to read to my son each night, even if he's not paying attention... lol.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm still working on a monster of a book called "Tragedy and Hope" by Carroll Quigley. I've been reading it for about 3 weeks now. Not much time between work, family, and friends to sit down for a day or so and knock it out. I really do love sitting with a good book and just not be bothered for a day or two. Makes you feel good.

It is sad to see such a statistic, but are we sure it's correct? I mean, I know tons of people that read books all the time. We even trade from time to time. Though I generally hang on to most of my books, as at some point or another I like to read them again to refresh my memory. I just refuse to believe that unbelievable number of 80%, that is astonishingly high. It's very possible in this day and age, but I honestly just don't want to believe it.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Why should people read when they are told how to act, what to buy and when to do something by someone on T.V.? Especially when politicians use the T.V. to ly to the public, and the dumbed down population take it as the gospel hook line and sinker.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
I'm still working on a monster of a book called "Tragedy and Hope" by Carroll Quigley.

That's an excellent read...I wouldn't give you any spoilers, but I will say that it's full of lots of surprising (but well-researched) information. Everyone here should give it a go.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Those stats, if true, are depressing. I love reading myself, especially history. I juggle about five books at a time, and own maybe 300 books of my own. I'd own more, but since reading is going down, books are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than they used to be...frakking internet...should be abolished

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Those statistics cannot be right.
I honestly cannot believe those "facts."
As an also avid reader, I cannot believe that at some point many of these people will not pick up one book or another in their free time.

That is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
That's such a sad statistic.

I read about a book a week.

If your children see you reading there's a much better chance that they will become readers.

They won't become readers if there are no books in the house.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Those statistics cannot be right.
I honestly cannot believe those "facts."
As an also avid reader, I cannot believe that at some point many of these people will not pick up one book or another in their free time.

That is ridiculous.

Yeah, I wish they were. The reason I actually think those numbers are close to the truth is because they were compiled for use by publishers who were actually trying to figure out the sales demographics. They have sales statistics and consumer demographic study down to a science.

I've made it a habit to ask people I know about their reading habits and find an alarmingly high number of them just have no interest in reading.

The reason I am adding to this thread now is that I am seriously considering the purchase of a kindle reader. It is expensive, $360 but I travel for extended periods of time to remote locations. I carry safety gear, tools and clothing along with books. I just don't have room for more than a few books and when I run out of reading material I've got no place to get more.
So, has anybody used a kindle or other reader of any type? If so, how was it.
Opinions welcome.

By the way, I recently read Brahm Stokers "Dracula"
"Thunderstruck" by Eric Larson
"Shakespeare - the World as a Stage" by Bill Bryson
"Blaze" by Stephen King
"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova
"An Inconvenient Book" by Glen Beck
"Witness to Roswell" by Carey and Schmitt

I'm presently reading "Century Rain" by Alstair Reynolds.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Oh come on.

I bet out of those 80%, half do an extensive amount of reading on the internet or on the job.

Reading is a hobby you like. Some people do not enjoy it as a past-time. Just because you do, doesn't mean you should act like it is a bad thing for those that don't.

You know what reading is for me? Spending countless amounts of hours to learn a moral in life that I already know.

Yes, I have read a decent amount of books, and yes, they were interesting. But I would rather be spending my time doing other things, because what you find fun doesn't mean I will find it fun too.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I read a lot on the internet...and I read books mainly because I have to, as I'm still in college. But....even so, I find a lot of video games, usually RPGs, to have substantial reading content. I prefer reading history or science related books as oppose to fiction or fantasy. I reserve that genre for gaming.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
... and those who buy the books are buying it as gifts, right?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
Oh come on.

Reading is a hobby you like. Some people do not enjoy it as a past-time. Just because you do, doesn't mean you should act like it is a bad thing for those that don't.

You sound a bit defensive.
If you don't enjoy reading then you don't.
Life goes on.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I am an avid reader too... these stats make me sick.

I'll add a suggestion to the list:
"Winters Tale" by Mark Helprin --- an amazing book - anyone who enjoyed the Baroque Cycle will get this.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244438418&sr=1-1

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Great thread...our literacy rate is in a sad state of affairs.

We can all agree that our educational system needs an overhaul.

Personnally, I read 2 books a week along with everything else i.e. internet, newspapers, etc...

Ciao!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I try to read 50 books a year but it usually falls around 30-40 and an extra 10-20 books get 1-3 chapters read. Usually researching something but sometimes it's just a bad book! lol

What about you guys?

Last few books this year

Alien Agenda -Marrs
On writing well- forget
Hypnosis Today- two Drs forget the names...
and Starting a Shaolin Philosophy Book---

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The world record right now is a guy who read an entire book of Dick Cavett's autobiography in 90 seconds and he had 100% recall...that is sick

I barely have time now for books outside of my degree...but once done Iw ill get back

though currently I am re-reading Hyperspace by Michio Kaku

-Kyo

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join