It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 reasons you love your home state

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'll kick it off.

OREGON

1. The great outdoors. We have the beach, Snowboarding in the Cascades, great rivers and forests, even a high desert if that is your thing.

2. No sales tax. When you buy something that is only $.99 you only have to pay $.99. You don't have to pay over a dollar for something on a dollar menu. That used to drive me crazy when I was out of state.

3. We have trained professionals who pump our gas for us. There is no such thing as a "full service" gas station because they are all full service gas stations. If it is pouring down rain, all you have to do is crack you window enough to say "Fill it with regular" and hand the attendant your card.

4. Microbrews. We have an amazing beer selection here. Most pubs worth their weight in salt have a very wide variety of beer on tap. I was in Texas once and I went to a bar with "The largest beer selection in town". They had Bud, Bud Light, Shiner, and Lone Star.... That was a very depressing evening.

5. You don't need an umbrella. Once you live here long enough, umbrellas become pointless. You rarely see them, yet it rains all the time. You just get used to the rain and it isn't worth the hassle of putting up with an umbrella every time you go out.

6. For the fella's.... Fully nude strip clubs. Of course... if that is your thing. Kind of self explanatory.

7. Summertime. Temperatures in the 80's and 90's with very little humidity. Not many bugs. Great for camping or anything really.

8. Randy Couture. UFC legend Randy "The Natural" Couture is originally from Gresham. The guy should be a hero to any man that would like to be fit into his late 40's.

9. The Simpsons: Simpsons creator Matt Groening is from here.

10. Where else have so many people died from Dysentery

And for those of you that don't have a state, you can list your country, home town... whatever you want. Or....just ignore it and let this thread shrivel up and die like I suspect it will...

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Boy you were bored last night... lol.
Here here!! Love Oregon. There is no place better on a nice day... and we appreciate them more than most because of all that rain. Oregonians are indoor people. Indoor sports, art, tech, and anything you can think of that most people do outdoors. But on a nice day, out we come to enjoy the beauty that is here. We have it all. The only thing we are missing are islands, so we fly (indoors in winter) to Hawaii....

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Yeah and about those umbrellas... when it rains, people in Oregon get that "rain smile", the one where you are squinting your eyes so much that it makes your face smile as you are running to your car...
We will all gather at the door of a place to watch the rain come crashing down, waiting for the moment it starts to subside, so we can all dart out.

Only vain women use umbrellas to protect their hair... I have about 5 umbrellas, and I don't think I have even used them in 10 years.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Massachusetts

1. Travel to the mountains, beach, city, lakes, forests in a couple hours or less no matter where you are.

2. Boston - A mini New York with better parking.

3. Sports: Red Sox and Fenway Park
New England Patriots
Boston Celtics
(all recent champions)

4. Cape Cod - From Wareham to P-Town... Never a dull day. Traffic sucks, but I tend to go in the off season.

5. Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket - Two equally beautiful Islands, only a short ferry trip away.

6. Seafood- Clam Chowder, Lobsters, Oysters, Clams, Crab, etc. The best!

7. Colleges- Harvard, MIT, Boston College... Some of the best universities in the world.

8. Cranberries: 2nd largest crop in the United States! We love our cranberry breads, muffins, and of course our sauce for our turkey dinners.

9. Entertainment: Always a well known band, comedy club, play, or sports team playing.

10. 4 real seasons. Cold Winters, Hot Summers.... with wonderfully colorful autumns and crisp green springs.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well I can give a few for you...

Kentucky

1. The beautiful horse farms.

2. The Racing

3. The tradition of excellent college basketball

4. Excellent fishing.

5. The World's longest cave system - Mammoth Cave

6. The Colonel

I'm sure I could come up with more, but 6 is pretty good.

Also anymore things would probably have to do with more wildlife and outdoor scenes.

I think you get the idea.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Tennessee

The Smokey Mountains are awesome to camp in, hiking, fishing etc... We have Dollywood, Ripley's Aquarium, Pigeon Forge & Gatlingburg, Cades Cove.

The Tennessee Valley Lakes & Dams are unigue and beautiful.
Here' a Norris Lake Sunset

And here's some other lakes available in Tennessee

Cherokee Lake, Boone Lake, Douglas Lake, Melton Hill Lake, Watts Barr Lake, Fort Loudon Lake, Tellico Lake, Chickamauga Lake, Nickajack Lake, South Holston Lake, Watauga Lake, Tennessee Lakes

Tennessee Football

Titans are 10-0 this season.

We have the "Grand Ole Opry" where every country star shows up to play.

Elvis Presley and Graceland.

Tennessee Whisky " Jack Daniels "
Jack Daniel's Whiskey

I could go on and on about Tennessee, the mountians, lakes, campgrounds, fishing, skiing, hiking, football, country music, riverboats etc.. The main thing I like here is the four seasons we get out of the year. Right now the fall leaves are beautiful with red, orange, brown,yellow colors all over the mountains. Tennessee is a place to visit and vacation if you ever get a chance.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CameronFox

As a central Massachusetts resident I am hard pressed to think of anything you missed....well said.

World renowned medical care and research.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

Looks like you're from the Knoxville area. My parents live in that area, and I'll agree, it is beautiful.

A great place to visit.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I'm pretty sick of Texas but the following makes it worthwhile:

1). No state income tax.

2). Awesome Tex-Mex restaurants.

3). All sorts of landscape types: Beaches, mountains, deserts, and lush green areas. Just drive for an hour or two and you're in a whole other world and scenery.

4). Even the big cities can have a small town friendly atmosphere.

5). Everything's big in Texas.

6). We have a 'don't mess with us' reputation.

7). The general conservative values and tone in most places.

8). It's generally not miserable in the winter (although it can get rough for a couple of weeks up in the northern part).

Ok, I had to think hard to come up with just eight. I'm sure there's more but I'm suffering from Texas burn out. lol

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well, Im going to my home state of Western Australia....Ozland

1. Valley of the Giants

2. Ningaloo Reef (dive with whale sharks here)

3. Cable Beach (especially at sunset)

4. Perth (My home town)

5. Margaret River Wineries (world famous wineries
)

6. Monkey Mia (dolphins come right up to you here)

7. The Bungle Bungles

8. Lake Argyle (Biggest artificial lake in Australia)

9. Canning Stock Route (True outback...middle of the desert)

10. Dunsborough Bakey (awesome pies and sausage rolls)

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Can I do it for Canada too??

British Columbia

1. Expo '86, Vancouver BC
My parents went to this, 2 weeks before I was born. October 17..

The 1986 World Exposition on Transportation and Communication, or simply Expo '86, was a World's Fair held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada from May 2 until October 13, 1986.

en.wikipedia.org...

2. X Files was filmed here Seasons 1 - 5, Various Vancouver BC
My Favorite Show!
www.imdb.com...

3. The Canadian Legislative Building, Victoria BC
Absolutely gorgeous at night.
www.leg.bc.ca...

4. Stanley Park, Vancouver BC
Before the storms and such of last year.
city.vancouver.bc.ca...

5. Ogopogo Statue, Okanagan Lake, Kelowna BC
Does it really look like this...?

6. Armstrong Cheese, Armstrong BC
Best White Cheddar Cheese, Ever. Period.
www.britishcolumbia.com...

7. Canada Place, Vancouver BC
Huge.
www.canadaplace.ca...

8. Granville Island, Vancouver BC
Best Fresh Market. Cute Island in Vancouver, Best Lemon Meringue Pie. Ever. Period.
www.seegranvilleisland.com...

9. Coquihala Highway, BC
BC's Version of Highway 16 (with the Rockies). The Coquihalla is a nice drive in the winter, or the summer. Lots of Mountains. Lots of Corners.
Gorgeous Drive, but carefule, the weather changes suddenly
en.wikipedia.org...

10. Ferry Island, Terrace BC
Me and my parents used to go camping here, in the summers when visiting my Grandparents.

Here are Just a Few Great things about British Columbia, Canada, that I love

- Carrot

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I LOVE NEW YORK!!

1) lady Liberty

My great grandmother was 6 years old when she came to the US and went through Ellis Island.

2) Montauk Point

3) Beautiful Long Island beaches

4) Broadway

See any show ya want.. and eat afterwards.. something is always open.

5) Our skyline

Though radically changed.. it is still beautiful ...

6) NY pride

We dont forget who we lost...

7) Madison Square Garden

See a concert or see a sports game

8) Wineries

From the Finger Lakes to the east end of Long Island.

9) Farms

Yes, we have farms in NY.. it isnt all urban.. LOL

10) Sports

Some of the best and or most annoying teams in ANY league..

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wisconsin

1.Wisconsin Sports(Packers,Brewers,Badgers,etc)

2.Fall in Wisconsin

3.Wisconsin Dells

4.Winter in Wisconsin

5.Lambeau Field

6.Summerfest

7.Harley Davidson

8.Hunting Season

9.The Milwaukee Domes

10.The Food

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Black_Fox]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. I really enjoy reading these. Right now Australia has interested me the most and would be the highest on my list of places to visit, based off of the responses so far.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. I really enjoy reading these. Right now Australia has interested me the most and would be the highest on my list of places to visit, based off of the responses so far.

Make sure its the Western half

Thats the best by far, although Im biased, I have travelled and lived all over Australia

Im amazed at all the places here, especially Wisconsin....looks mighty cold

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Karlhungis

Make sure its the Western half

Thats the best by far, although Im biased, I have travelled and lived all over Australia

Im amazed at all the places here, especially Wisconsin....looks mighty cold
My daughter went to Sydney and traveled all along the coast. She fell in love with it. I would like to go too.
My mom's boyfriend is from Wisconsin... it is cold.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Now this looks like fun...Im going to have to give Pennsylvania its props but Im posting about my area..Philadelphia...

1) The WORLD CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

2) The Philadelphia Flyers

3)Genos!!!!

4)The Liberty Bell(birhplace of democracy..(cackle cackle)

5)BoatHouse Row..Its awesome

6)Rocky!!!

7)The Philadelphia Experiment

8)Love Park

9)South Street

10) The PASSIONATE fans of Philly sports!!

Sorry for the links that popped up!! I went to alot trouble for this !!!

[edit on 24-11-2008 by cmd18B]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Southern California,when I was a kid we used to surf in the morning then go skiiing in the afternoon,swimmin pools movie stars,and usually can get a great Xmas tan too,and we get to steal all of Oregons water too,lol as my buddys from there always say,hey can't expect to fill up your swimming pool with rain water

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Gloucester

Gloucester is a nice place to live and a good tourist spot for tourists.

In the city centre there are many great places to eat and drink.
Cafe Rene being my fave drinking hole.

Gloucester has an impressive cathedral which is a fine example of English cathreral design, with a Romanesque Abbey, stained glass windows and the ring of twelve bells including Great Peter.

Greyfriars, The Franciscan house of Greyfriars was founded in 1231 on land granted by Lord Berkeley. It was one of three Gloucester monasteries supported by Henry III.

St.Oswalds Priory was founded by Lady Aethelflaed of Mercia, daughter of Alfred the Great, around 900 after her husband Aethelred II had been struck down with a debilitating illness.

The Priory Church, initially dedicated to St. Peter, was constructed from recycled Roman stones which may have come from a nearby temple. It was a bold and unusual move to build a church during this period, a time of frequent Viking raids.

At first it was a Christian cemetery, possibly serving the nearby Palace of Kingsholm, but in 909 the relics of Saint Oswald were brought there and installed in a new crypt with great ceremony. The building was rededicated to the saint and quite possibly Aethelflaed and her husband were later interred in the crypt. Archaological excavations in the 1970s revealed a 10th century fragment of carved slab from the grave of someone extremely important.

In the centuries that followed St Oswald's grew rich as a place of pilgrimage and was at the centre of a large parish. In the 10th century the church acquired a tower for which the canons produced their own bells in a bell-pit excavated on the site.

By the time of the Norman Conquest, however, the place was in decline. It was taken over by the Archbishopric of York and its secular canons replaced by Augustinian ones in 1153. Although the building was subsequently repaired and enlarged - the arches are 12th and 13th century - it was almost literally in the shadow of the more successful Abbey of St. Peter, now Gloucester Cathedral. Things got worse when the Archbishops of York and Canterbury fell into a two century-long dispute with the Bishop of Worcester over its ownership. When the latter excommunicated the canons of St. Oswald's and forbade the citizens of Gloucester from selling them provisions, King Edward I was forced to intervene.

Southgate Street Gloucester, was created in the 10th century to give access to the south gate which led to the main route to Bristol. It was often called Great South Gate due to its importance as a trading area.

See also Marcus Nerva

Right on the cross you will see Bakers the Jewellers . Above the shop is a wonderful old striking clock with figures . It has 5 striking Jacks representing England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales together with Old Father Time. The author can remember his grandfather ( W.Knight ) painting these figures many years ago.

A few yards along the road is St. Mary De Crypt . A fine old church. The earliest recorded church on this site was around 1140 and known as the Church of the blessed Mary.The present Church is well worth a visit.

The fifteenth century nave contains an early renaissance style pulpit from which George Whitfield preached his first sermon in 1736.In the north transept are 16th century brasses to Alderman John Cooke and his wife, founders of the Crypt School.

An alley leads to Blackfriars which dates from 1270 .Mostly in ruins there are never the less still many interesting and rare features/

The Old Bell Inn has been recently re-opened with new management. Well worth a visit just to look at the wonderful old fire surround and a good place for a lunch, right in the centre of Gloucester.

Ghosts in Gloucester

www.darkstar1.co.uk...

[edit on 29-11-2008 by _Volt_]

trustedplaces.com...

Robinswood Hill farm for rare breeds and St.James City farm in Tredworth.

www.gloucester.gov.uk...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
1. The fall colors.

2. Bridge Day!!!

3. Hospitality.

4. The small town feel and the big city.
Chalreston, West Virginia

Oceana, West Virginia

5. World Class Whitewater Rafting.

6. The views.

7. The Mountains.

8. Rockclimbing.

9. Rivers

10. Recreation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join