It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange map of Israel in Latin dated 1949 - Strange wording what does it mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I just acquired this rare map made I believe in 1949. It is beautifully done and hand colored just like the ancient maps you see in museums.

The strange part is that it's in Latin??? I tried to decipher some of the wording on it using the online translator and it came out with some strange wording.

Here is what it said it meant:

The big cartouche translates as...

earth abeo. to abrahami transitory. very devastation. XI. likewise very toparchias IDVMAEAE just as many , and assembly XLV. to mosis transitory , or if board arranger to to launch genes. exodi. lightness total and deuteron. autore phi. about la rue. amstelodami according to P.MORTIER when step-daughter :

And the box in the top left hand corner translated:

cut birthday abrahae. upon to obliterate to clean 1949. exodus in truth up to, under mose. upon to obliterate 2669 or if annis 1316 before christi dni birthday.

Anyone that's good with Latin I would appreciate any help in deciphering what it says.

Here's the links:

[edit on 8-11-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Fascinating. I speak fluent pig latin and yet I cannot decipher what the coded message means. It must be some form of Italian or something.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
that is cool, love a good mystery

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Hey it's all Greek to me

You telling me it's in Italiano?

Bada bing!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Allied with this topic is Professor Schlomo Sand's latest book,
' When and How Was the Jewish People Invented?

Professor Sand is a Jewish Israeli history professor at Tel Aviv university.

In his book, he states that despite extensive research, there is NO record of the infamous 'jewish exile' ever taking place. NO trace of it.

He further states that the entire 'myth' of Jewishness and of 'return to the homeland' is an invention .. a pack of deliberate lies used by the Zionists in recent times, to lay claim to Israel.

"I was not raised as a Zionist, but like all other Israelis I took it for granted that the Jews were a people living in Judea and that they were exiled by the Romans in 70 AD.

"But once I started looking at the evidence, I discovered that the kingdoms of David and Solomon were legends.

"Similarly with the exile. In fact, you can't explain Jewishness without exile. But when I started to look for history books describing the events of this exile, I couldn't find any. Not one.

Sand reveals that powerful jews have always known the truth.

"It is not taught in Israeli schools but most of the early Zionist leaders, including David Ben Gurion [Israel's first prime minister], believed that the Palestinians were the descendants of the area's original Jews. They believed the Jews had later converted to Islam."

Worth another look, isn't it ?

Most of the Zionist leaders, including Israeli Prime Ministers .. believed/knew that the Palestinians (those same people now subject to genocide by Israel) " are the descendents of the area's original jews "

and those same Zionist leaders, including Israeli Prime Ministers believed/knew ' that the Jews (of Biblical times) had converted it ISLAM

Professor Schlomo Sand's book is in its twelfth reprint, currently, and has been translated into several languages.

Millions of copies have been purchased and read by Jews.

All those with an interest in the Middle East, Zionism, the Jewish issue, owes it to him/her self to read this most informative and interesting book

' Israel Deliberately Forgets Its History' claims jewish professor, Schlomo Sand

mondediplo.com...

www.thehandstand.org...

electronicintifada.net...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Thanks but that doesn't really advance the quest for what the map means.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
My latin is horrible, but here's what I can give.

The Cartouche says:

"The Land of Canaan in Abraham's time" according to the Idumean toparchias (geographical description) and the ?descriptions? in Moses' time and from consulting charts and the books Genes(sis) Exodi(us) Levit(icus) and Deuteron(omy) …………. Then some abbreviations I cannot even guess at.

In the next photo, from the corner:

"Beginning with the birth of Abraham, in the "year of the world" 1949 ( 2055 BC). …Exodus began under Moses in the year 2699 (1335 BC) , being the year 1316 before Christ was born.

The next few maps show features in Palestine with names in Latin. The last photo is labeled "the travels of Abraham"….. cannot read the rest

The map wasn't printed in 1949. I suspect its from the mid 1800's. The date 1949 is the "year of the world" system; calculating from the time God finished creation. The most modern date used by creationists (according to evolutionists(!)) is Bishop Ussher's calculation that the world began in 4004 BC., by adding up all the years mentioned in the bible.

But this sytem counts a little different, which is why the one "BC" date listed is about 50 years from the date I'd come up with using Usher's system.

Its a very nice map.

What condition is the paper in? Is it still flexible? Or does it crack and turn to powder when you bend it? What colors are the brightest----It looks like the reds, pinks and yellows. Is that right?

My guess is the 1820's - 1880's. Maybe a 100-200 dollars usd?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well, given that latin is a "dead" language, you will be hard pressed to find many who can translate it accurately. There is no telling what it says in truth.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
looking at the map pics some more, I think maybe it's a later reprint of an earlier map, say from the early 1700's. I say that because the map is fairly innaccurate, yet still has correct lat and long lines.

The area around Gaza looks out of scale to me, as does the coast of Israel. This would fit in with the period before about 1880, when the Ottomans allowed western geographers to survey the Holy Land. On the other hand, the colors are excellent, and those improved as better printing processes were developed.

I'm no expert, but the excellent colors argue for expensive and/or later printing dates, which don't fit in the rather primitive quality of the cartography. I think if it were a later reprint, it wouldn't be worth as much, but still, it looks totally cool. And that's always worth something.

What is on the back of these maps? How big are they? where'd you find em??

It's quite interresting. If you look in the middle pick, the "dead sea" is missing. It's the map with "Sodom" and "Gomorea" or som such. This reflects the interpretation of Genesis 12-15, where Sodom and Gomorra were destroyed by God for their sin, and then later flooded when the Dead Sea was formed.

This kind of map would have been popular with a Sunday school or bible study club probably early in the 20th century. It looks old, which back then was seen as "expensive and authoritative." At the same time, a lot of American faithful were realizing that archaeology and the bible account were beginning to diverge. They'd look to a map like this to assure themselves that the Bible account of Abraham's journeys was factual.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Thanks Dr. SC...you are well versed in knowledge. I think it's original and from the late 1700's. It is laid down on board, so no telling what condition the paper is in.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
What does the map appear to be colored in.... colored pencils or thin marker?

Maybe someday you can take it to a lab.

It is to bad real Latin is dead. Completely curious..

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Autor Phi. de la Rue = "Author Philip De La Rue"

Amstelodami = "Amsterdam" in latin

Apud P.MORTIER cum privileg = A bit tougher to make a direct translation, but this seems to indicate the person that commissioned the map.. a "P. MORTIER"

The portion in the upper left corner reads something like:

"From the birth of Abraham. In the year 1949. From the time of Exodus up unto Moses in 2669, until the year 1316 after the birth of Christ."

And indeed... a quick Google search reveals that "P.MORTIER" is Pierre Mortier, an 18th century cartographer...

www.oldprintshop.com...

Your image is a reprint of the original map made in 1949. Nice piece for the den...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by cogburn]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cogburn

Your image is a reprint of the original map made in 1949. Nice piece for the den...

[edit on 9-11-2008 by cogburn]

As I noted before:

The map wasn't printed in 1949. I suspect its from the mid 1800's. The date 1949 is the "year of the world" system; calculating from the time God finished creation. The most modern date used by creationists (according to evolutionists(!)) is Bishop Ussher's calculation that the world began in 4004 BC., by adding up all the years mentioned in the bible.

But thanks for the bit about the author. See, my latin is not good enough to have recognized autor/author, but the instant you posted it, it makes sense.

top topics

join