It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do african americans join islam because they see it as a black religion and christianity as a white

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
ive been pondering this for awhile. could this hold any truth to it?

peace.

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by Truth]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My question to you is what would make you think this??

This is the case for the Nation of Islam. However, the Nation of Islam is radically different from orthodox Islam.

But yes, as far as the NOI, Islam is the black man's religion and Christianity is the slavemaster's religion which is true from a certain point of view. Slavery strived for so long in America because the slavemasters injected Christianity into the slaves. This was a different case in places like Jamaica and Haiti where all the slaves rebelled.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I don't think so. It could be that people get disillusioned by christianity and look elsewhere. The black christian community seems to be alive and well to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I agree with Intrepid, practically anywhere I go in my city involves passing a Christian house of worship, and the prominence of African Americans within those houses of worship is, well, prominent.

I think it's pretty sad that some religions even choose to play the race card when it comes to their members, and who they deem as evil, etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
yes.
i am a catholic christian, i take pride in my religion, take 2pac shakur for instance, an afro-american muslim.

it is a rebellious streak, this...desire to believe in something other than what has been forced not only upon the black race but even catholics for generations,(i am of course proclaiming that protestants tend to pressurize others into giving way to this religion...which, may be wrong to some extent).
generations to come may suffer from this in more ways than imagineable...(muslim conversions are at a current 1billion on earth...while christianity is a likely 800,million, so who knows...).
Cyrus
the catholic

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
i posted because it feels like color is always an issue with islamic americans, and yet, no teaching of grace like, loving you nieghbor, or praying for your enemies comes from their mouth, other than hate, race, and hypocracy, and im [only] talking about nation of islam members i see on tv.

if heaven if full of racist, id rather go to hell.

btw, i know plenty of african american catholics, so im not saying everybody.

peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
"take 2pac shakur for instance, an afro-american muslim."

What about Cat Stevens the muslim? Yosef Islam I believe is his name.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
"take 2pac shakur for instance, an afro-american muslim."

What about Cat Stevens the muslim? Yosef Islam I believe is his name.

What about that American citizen caught fighting for Al Qaeda? John something...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
" the rebellious attitude; of rebelling from a religion which was forced on them"

thats in larg part true, and the ones doing the forcing from the early 1900s to mid 1900s are to blame.

alot of hypocrites used scripture to creat their hypocracy, and many souls have been destroyed because of it.

peace

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth

i posted because it feels like color is always an issue with islamic americans, and yet, no teaching of grace like, loving you nieghbor, or praying for your enemies comes from their mouth, other than hate, race, and hypocracy, and im [only] talking about nation of islam members i see on tv.

peace.

That's why you don't understand.

Your taking what the Nation of Islam says when I already said the NOI is radically different from Islam. It teaches racism and Islam is strictly against Islam. Don't believe me, read the Qur'an.

And Tupac Shakur was not a Muslim, he was a Black Panther.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think what is being focused on here is a radical viewpoint of Islam. There are those as well as the average muslim, same as you get with any religion. Let me ask, what religion do you think white supremisists are?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Truth said Islam, not the Nation of Islam.

And I would think White supremecists such as the KKK are Christian because the Christian markings on their robes and the burning of the cross.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
67: "Truth said Islam, not the Nation of Islam."

Yes, but it is the perception that it creates to the world.
So, thank you for being here to correct that. No sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
What perception does the NOI create to the world?

It doesn't exist to the world, it's only an American thing and it's died off since Malcolm X's assassination.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Apparently not, if you see the first post here. If it has then it has become an extention of that past.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
the kkk hate christians, and the burning crosses are an intimidation of ignorance.

illmatic, if NOI is wrong, then why do you post as if one of them are speaking. ive known you for 2 and half years, and race always seems to have something to do with your post, unless you changed.

one time you said the human race started out black [as if it mattered], and it really don't, but if anybody thinks a certain skin color is a curse then thats where it gets out of hand.

peace

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
You apparently have not visited the southern US states where Baptists rule. I read that 90% of all Black people involved in Christianity are Baptists - I don't know if that number is true or not. You can probably find numbers in US census information.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
as a black man who is not islamic i cannot answer that question honestly...

but percieving things from the looking glass i would say that.

those blacks who are easily swayed by the rantings of one person telling them that all their problems are based on a devil type figure that happens to be white (last time i checked farakhan (pardon the spelling) was calling white people this term) would probably have leanings toward islam. i find this reason very similar to the pratices used by the KKK when the reason why white people were not content with their lives was due to blacks and other minorities.

in a days work i would say the devil is preparing those bodies and souls that would rather look away from within and externalize their issues/problems.

but again im only black and not islamic and black (does that matter? is my opinion less valid?)...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I didn't know Christianity was a white religion, I thought it started with 13 people from the middle east. Hmm right next to where the Muslim Religion was started. And the Jewish one before that. That's why back in the day they didn't classify slavery based on the color of skin, that's something stupid that most Americans do (Yes am American) Ok done with that point.

IF you are speaking of just America and based on that Christianity was something that slave owners taught there slaves. and the way to rebel against the man, is to take his polar opposite, religion in this case( why this is I do not know, Crusades maybe?) Now obviously there is the Nation Of Islam which like the KKK Promote Hate, and Segregation. But I don't consider that a religion, That's like the KKK being Christians and lying saying the bible says" White people are the best".

Nation of Islam is like a Army Recruitment poster But it says
"Tired of the man Keeping ya down"
"Wanna Stand up for your rights and fight of your race"
"Then join your brothers!!!"

If I felt like I was being held down by a race, Id join that.

I think this is the same saying for the KKK too lol

And they get people the same way. Pray on poor, unhappy, giving the a reason and a cause to feel good about themselves. and belong ,together for anger you have had bottled up for this reason or that.

But.... Unlike the KKK, Id say the nation help more people, by actually converting people to a peaceful religion and once they see its about God not Color. The KKK and people in it will always preach hate.

My 2 cents

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by foolishbeing
as a black man who is not islamic i cannot answer that question honestly...

but percieving things from the looking glass i would say that.

those blacks who are easily swayed by the rantings of one person telling them that all their problems are based on a devil type figure that happens to be white (last time i checked farakhan (pardon the spelling) was calling white people this term) would probably have leanings toward islam. i find this reason very similar to the pratices used by the KKK when the reason why white people were not content with their lives was due to blacks and other minorities.

in a days work i would say the devil is preparing those bodies and souls that would rather look away from within and externalize their issues/problems.

but again im only black and not islamic and black (does that matter? is my opinion less valid?)...

Id say in this case your opinion is more valid, having perhaps felt is one way or another that same way.

I didnt read your post until after I posted, and we have the a similar view on it (I think)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join