It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Structures Tugging at UNIVERSE!! We are part of a MULTI UNIVERSE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Everything in the known universe is said to be racing toward the massive clumps of matter at more than 2 million miles (3.2 million kilometers) an hour—a movement the researchers have dubbed dark flow.

The presence of the extra-universal matter suggests that our universe is part of something bigger—a multiverse—and that whatever is out there is very different from the universe we know, according to study leader Alexander Kashlinsky, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. The theory could rewrite the laws of physics. Current models say the known, or visible, universe—which extends as far as light could have traveled since the big bang—is essentially the same as the rest of space-time (the three dimensions of space plus time).

news.nationalgeographic.com...
Nov. 5th 2008

I thought this was pretty amazing. We have all heard of the universe, but I never heard of a multi universe
Just thought I would share this with you guys. Imagine how many more galaxies and planets are out there!!

Make sure you read both pages! I almost missed it

[edit on 7-11-2008 by KaginD]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/11/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have a theory as to where we are being pulled and why.

I call it dark flush theory.

Just for a morning laugh.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Xeven]

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Xeven]

Mod Edit: Image Hotlinking – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/11/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Lol, I guess that is one way to put it
To each his own.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This topic is already discussed here:

Unknown "Structures" Tugging at Universe, Study Says

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
A star and a flag.
Because that's! really cool

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
since i found out that the universe has been expanding at a increasingly faster rate, i have been curious as to what they have based this on. question...expanding from what point toward what point? ...does the point of original expansion have noticeably less dark matter then the point of destination? is all matter traveling at the same speed, or are parts of the universe traveling at different directions at different speeds? different galaxies seem to be colliding into one another, are they in a mini-traunch where that particular part of space moves in congruence, while at the same time expanding outward on a larger plane in unison with the rest of localized matter?

and obviously it seems rather arrogant to "call" the age of the universe at 13 billion years old (give or take a billion) when scientists measure the age only by the limit of present light gathering equipment? i could put out a theory that the universe is 50 billion years old and technically be correct, simply by saying that our "equipment" is much too antiquated to measure the true age.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Though there are "local" variations, in general, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else. The rate of expansion is calculated by measuring the red shift of distant galaxies. The red shift tells us how fast those galaxies are moving away from us. Different galaxies are moving at different rates, the more distant ones are moving faster. The expansion is not planar but 3 dimensional.

The age of the universe is calculated by several means, including the fading background radiation of the universe and the rate of expansion (see above). All of the methods are based on certain (different) assumptions. Though the assumptions could very well be incorrect, the fact that they all arrive a similar solutions is an indication that they are not far off the mark. However...things like dark energy and dark matter (which we know almost nothing about) are messing things up a bit.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Those are some pretty good questions.. I hope some of the members that know a lot about these sorts of topics could shed some light on those questions. I just think its amazing if you think of how many other planets are out there if there is more then one universe. Or better yet, how much different are the other universes then ours?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jimmyx

The red shift tells us how fast those galaxies are moving away from us. Different galaxies are moving at different rates, the more distant ones are moving faster.

Thanks for clearing some of that up for me. I have a question though, I heard on a doc. that I watched that galaxies collide. For example, I think they said that we are suppose to collide with Andromeda at some point. Is that possible? I never really researched to much into what they said about that. I'm just wondering if galaxies move like clusters, or if they move in all different directions.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

There are galactic groups and clusters in which the galaxies affect each other gravitationally and move through the universe.

The Andromeda galaxy and the Milky Way appear to be on a collision course (not really certain) which puts us together in about 3 billion years.

The Milky Way is currently in the process of colliding with the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Ha ha ha ha ha!

I like the anaolgy!

Howeve, back to topic. Multi-verse theory is someting I have been discussing with some of my 'associates' for a while now. There are quite a few signs apparently that we live in a multi-verse, and that matter/energy is transferable between the various 'uni'verses!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Though there are "local" variations, in general, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else. The rate of expansion is calculated by measuring the red shift of distant galaxies. The red shift tells us how fast those galaxies are moving away from us. Different galaxies are moving at different rates, the more distant ones are moving faster. The expansion is not planar but 3 dimensional.

The age of the universe is calculated by several means, including the fading background radiation of the universe and the rate of expansion (see above). All of the methods are based on certain (different) assumptions. Though the assumptions could very well be incorrect, the fact that they all arrive a similar solutions is an indication that they are not far off the mark. However...things like dark energy and dark matter (which we know almost nothing about) are messing things up a bit.

Phage, I have a question for you. You mentioned that, "in general, everything is moving away from everything else." I am not an astronomer, nor do I pretend to understand the complex physics behind what's going on out there in space. Here's what I do know, though. I scope out pictures from our satellites from time to time (we paid for them, after all) and one thing I've seen several times is pictures of Colliding Galaxies. Now, if everything was as you said, there'd be no way for these things to occur, yet we have photos showing that they do. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I'm simply pointing out that everything in the universe isn't moving away from everything else. You even state as much in your 11:00 AM post.

I'm excited that science is looking into this. As sensors get more and more sensitive, we're going to be able to spot things we weren't able to decades ago. I'm interested in what they find.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
All galaxies in their relative concentric areas (spheres) should shift red because of the variances of their relaitve speeds as they go outward. Our sphere is going outward faster than those closer to center,etc. while those galaxies within our sphere will shift red OR blue, because our outward speed is sort of uniform. Yet within that motion some are moving away and some getting closer. Space is like...the Ozarks, a big bunch of relatives

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
As Anonymous said.

It does seem to be paradoxical but note that I qualified my statement by saying there is variation in the motion on a "local" level. At the (very) large scale everything is moving away. With in the smaller scale of groups and clusters the relative motions of the objects vary.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

As Anonymous said.

It does seem to be paradoxical but note that I qualified my statement by saying there is variation in the motion on a "local" level. At the (very) large scale everything is moving away. With in the smaller scale of groups and clusters the relative motions of the objects vary.

I appreciate your explanation. I look forward to more evidence coming online soon with more clarification as to what these "unknown structures" are.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the break down Phange. I know there are about 300 extra solar planets that we know of.. Scientists think that some of them might share the same characteristics of Earth. IMO there has to be another planet that has life like we do. I'm not trying to bring this into the aliens catagory or anything, but the odds have to be good, right?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Not sure what this has to do with the topic but let's just say there is no reason for there to not to be life elsewhere in the universe and our galaxy. My feeling is that, while there may be other "intelligences", it's doubtful that they would be very much like us.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I wasn't trying to go off topic. What I'm thinking is that if there is more then one universe, then there are A LOT more planets then we had previously estimated.. Just thought the chances get better for there to be more planets capable of sustaining life as Earth does.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Please post you comments to this ongoing thread.

Unknown "Structures" Tugging at Universe, Study Says

posted on 6/11/08 @ 12:14 PM

-Thread Closed-

new topics

top topics

join