It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 100 games in history...ever!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've always believed that OoT was fantastic, and I've often seen it topping polls, then I saw this.

[BBC]

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has topped a poll of readers of Edge magazine and industry experts to find the top 100 games of all time.

The 10-year-old videogame for the Nintendo 64 games console helped usher in a new era of 3D gaming.

It is also one of only five games ever to receive a 10 out of 10 review score from Edge magazine.

It goes on..

'Brilliantly well'

He said: "It appeared not long after games made the shift to 3D, everyone was wondering if it could make the transition.

"It was a very ambitious game. The way they were able to engineer it in a 3D context was a success, it worked brilliantly well."

But he said the intention behind the poll was not to create a "nostalgia festival".

"These games had to stand up today. People will be surprised by the small amount of very old games that have made it through.

"Often these types of lists are full of games like Space Invaders and Pong - which we recognise as classics, as important games - but they don't necessarily stand up to play today."

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best game ever.

However it must be said that 007: Goldeneye is missing from the top ten.

Egde Magazine's Top 100 Games of all time:

100. Crackdown
A superhuman cop deals out some hardcore justice in a freeform action world.

99. Psychonauts
It got little respect at retail, but this unique platformer has become a revered cult classic.

98. Sensible Soccer
This classic top-down soccer title spawned one of the most important sports game series of all time.

97. Tekken 3
The PlayStation version was one of the best arcade-to-home fighting ports when it released, with nearly arcade-perfect visuals and spot-on gameplay.

96. Wipeout
Mastering the control of the floating ships was almost as satisfying as connecting a missile to an opponent’s afterburner.

95. God of War
The epic story, big boss battles and intense combat made this one of the best action games of recent times.

94. Gitaroo Man
This rhythm game tested coordination in ways unique from other titles in the genre.

93. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
If the “flat” colorful visuals didn’t draw you in, certainly it was the accessible gameplay or sharp humor.

92. Resident Evil
Its big scares and overall creepiness defined survival horror—and let’s not forget the outrageous yet lovable voice acting.

91. Super Smash Bros. Melee
This fun mish-mash of Nintendo characters has earned respect in pro gaming circles.

90. Devil May Cry
An incredible combat system and a protagonist dripping with style means Dante is one of videogames’ top bad-asses.

89. Tomb Raider
Lara Croft is now a brand, and this is where it started. The original made the world feel big even in the confines of a tomb.

88. Sega Rally Championship
Still one of the smoothest-controlling racing games around.

87. Mr. Driller
It’s a dangerous job, drilling through blocks, but Mr. Driller made the task really, really fun.

86. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
This title put the “arcade” back into “arcade-style racing” with big drifts, great accessibility and sexy Ferraris.

85. Silent Hill 2
The sequel to Konami’s Silent Hill was even ghastlier than the first outing on the original PlayStation.

84. Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online’s attack combos were derived from crack coc aine.

83. Nights
In a console world where full 3D was getting all the attention, Nights took to the skies and went 2.5 to achieve results just as spectacular as full-on free-roamers.

82. Lemmings
They’re mindless little rodents, but you want to save them nonetheless in this addictive classic.

81. Robotron 2084
This game’s dual joystick configuration was new at the time, and its execution is worthy of recognition still today.

80. Virtua Tennis 3
Virtua Tennis 3 is the pinnacle of Sega’s stellar pick-up-and play tennis series—and we love the minigames.

79. Secret of Monkey Island
It’s as revered an adventure game as they come, partly because it was simply hilarious.

78. Doom II
It was one of the main players in fostering the first-person shooter genre. Much respect.

77. Football Manager 2007
Who would’ve thought a soccer manager game could be so immersive?

76. Ikaruga
Seizure inducing and extremely difficult, yet it had gameplay that freshened up the shmup genre—exactly what shooter fans crave.

75. Burnout 2

The intense speed, great graphics and tight control made this racer stand out from its peers.

74. Thief: The Dark Project
A sneaker in the first-person, Garrett was slinking through the shadows well before Sam Fisher.

73. Puzzle Bobble (aka Bust-a-Move)
Taito’s classic colored balls puzzler is still a ‘casual’ hit.

72. Killer7
Shooter with a difference, chronicling the many personalities of the main character, an assassin.

71. Ninja Gaiden Black
Team Ninja’s Xbox action game managed to add lustre to the original.

70. Ridge Racers 2
PSP incarnation of a simple yet engaging driving series that stretches back to the dawn of PlayStation.

69. PilotWings 64
Airborne missions including the use of a gyrocopter and a hang glider aided the launch of Nintendo 64 in 1996.

68. GTR2
Realism-charged supercar driving experience.

67. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Robotron for the Xbox 360 generation; simple gameplay and lovely looks.

66. F-Zero GX
Sixth game in the futuristic sliding, racing genre from Nintendo.

65. Darwinia
Introversion’s strategy-action game defies the usual genre-descriptions, combining the best modern gameplay with slick retro visuals.

64. System Shock 2
Complex sci-fi horror shooter from Ken Levine failed to deliver commercially, despite rave reviews.

63. Lumines
PSP block-drop puzzler from Tetsuya Mizuguchi blended ace looks and music.

62. Jet Set Radio Future
Sega’s roller-blader for the launch of Xbox followed on from the Dreamcast original, and offered a highly distinctive graphical style.

61. Manhunt
Vicious and grisly horror game that appalled critics of the game industry, but it’s actually a pretty good stealth game.

60. Pac-Man Vs
Successfully utilized the system link between GameCube and GameBoy Advance to bring multiplayer depth to a fading franchise.

59. StarFox 64
Fixed rail shooter of the old school; straddling the world of SNES and Nintendo 64.

58. Tempest 2000
Jeff Minter’s hyper-surreal puzzle shooter for Atari’s Jaguar was certainly the best thing about that benighted console.

57. Soul Calibur
Namco’s Dreamcast fighter was an innovator in 3D gameplay nd, in its time, stunningly good-looking.

56. Guitar Hero
Created a new genre by combining a rock-out controller and simple gameplay.

55. Counter-Strike
Tactical FPS based on a Half-Life mod. An online favorite.

54. Chrono Trigger
Square’s SNES RPG wasc developed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, Kazuhiko Aoki, Nobuo Uematsu, Yuuji Horii and Akira Toriyama. How could it fail to be wonderful?

53. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Open-ended skating game from a franchise that doesn’t stop delivering.

52. Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness
Hard-core RPG from Atlus, that challenged even the most devoted fans of the genre.

51. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
It’s been ten years since Pokemon games started to appear on Game Boy. Here were the best of the bunch.

50. Shenmue
Yu Suzuki’s big budget Dreamcast adventure told the story of a young man in search of his father’s killers.

49. Animal Crossing
Another example of Nintendo’s ability to redefine games; Animal Crossing is a life simulation that rewards communication.

48. Puyo Pop Fever
Cute Japanese block-drop puzzler that offered strong multiplayer gameplay.

47. Far Cry
German jungle-shooter with drop-dead pixel-shaded graphics

46. Quake III
The highpoint in id’s series of multiplay shooters was released in 1999.

45. Company Of Heroes
Relic’s real-time strategy winner gave WW2 back some of the lustre it has lost in recent years.

44. Super Monkey Ball
Fantastically fun arcade platformer offers loveable creatures and bananas aplenty.

43. Bomberman
Remains one of the greatest multiplayer experiences of all time.

42. Rome: Total War
Creative Assembly’s RTS brought the legions of Caesar to life with outstanding visuals and AI.

41. Gran Turismo 4
Gaming’s defining car-sim series.

40. Wario Ware Inc: Minigame Mania
Hundreds of mini-games that tried, and sometimes succeeded, in making gaming seem new all over again.

39. Secret Of Mana
Square’s Super Nintendo top-down real-time RPG.

38. Virtua Fighter 5
Bang up-to-date arcade fighter from Sega.

37. StarCraft
Blizzard’s finely balanced RTS is still a multiplay favorite almost a decade after it arrived.

36. Battlefield 2
Sweden’s much-loved shooter combines strategy, tactics and role-playing.

35. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
Hideo Kojima’s highly regarded adventure in which Snake sneaks up and whacks terrorists.

34. R-Type Final
Irem’s old-school scrolling shooters keep coming back for more. Except this really is the last one from the Japanese developer. No, really.

33. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Spooky 2D action adventure added depth to what had been a straight platforming series.

32. Project Gotham Racing 2
Superb racer for Xbox from Bizarre Creations which put style as well as speed on the agenda.

31. Katamari Damacy
Namco’s curious third-person puzzle action game offered a unique take on collecting stuff.

30. Shadow Of The Colossus
Massive in scale, beautiful in execution; one of PS2’s highest achievements.

29. Deus Ex
Warren Spector’s Unreal-based end-of-the-century shooter cum role-player swept the awards board with an engrossing story arc.

28. Perfect Dark
Rare’s follow-up to Goldeneye brought Joanna Dark to the world. Shooting from the hip, the game brought the N64 era to a satisfying close.

....... Continued below.

[edit on 11/7/2008 by Good Wolf]

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Final Fantasy XII? That puts the validity of this entire list into question, IMO. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X were much better than Final Fatnasy XII was...

Also, no Chrono Trigger?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
OMG i remember buying Zelda, and then playing it non-stop lol.. I agree, Best Game Ever

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I agree with them, i've been playing Zelda (ocarina of time) a little lately, I have the Gold version, with a working Nintendo 64 (I know! Yay!) and even though we finished the game 4 years ago, we are yet to collect all the heart pieces and Poes I think i might restart the game soon, i feel like it.

Roswell.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I haven't played OoT in years, I do love it though, in the last 3-4 years though I did have to finish Majoras Mask, I left it a long time becasue I got stuck, I also finished Windwaker which I really liked.

And then of course I have in the last couple of years Finished Twilight Princess.

I don't usually go for all hearts and poes n stuff, but I might try with TP.

As for goldeneye, yeah it probably should be there, but then MP on Perfect dark was so similar I thin kthat should be there too.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Yea. I got stuck on Mojoras Mask too. The bit when I needed to get into the pirates fortress. Couldn't work out how. Gave up for months. I lent it to a friend for a while --- AND HE CLOCKED IT!!! Bastard!!!

007: Goldeneye was no. 17 on the list, and Perfect Dark was on there somewhere also.

Hell, I'll just post the whole list aye. I'll edit the OP.

List Continued:

27. Rez
Innovative musical game that majors on looks and sound.

26. Advance Wars
Turn-based combat for GBA that players found difficult to put down.

25. Sim City 2000
Will Wright’s urban planning series has millions of fans, many of whom see this as the only computer game worth playing.

24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Triumphant 2003 return for the classic platforming series, which melds agility with puzzle-solving and combat.

23. Metroid Prime
Nintendo’s shooter was a high-point for GameCube.

22. World Of WarCraft
A way of life for millions, and long may it continue.

21. Okami
An artsy and stylish critical darling largely ignored by the public.

20. Civilization IV
Awesome strategy game spanning centuries; the high-point in a series that has consistently delivered the very best in turn-based strategy.

19. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
An RPG told in visual splendour.

18. Final Fantasy VII
Even now, the game’s budget looks terrifying, but this adventure delivered for millions of PlayStation owners.

17. GoldenEye 007
Nintendo 64 shooter from Rare that pretty much ruled the genre, at least on console, for years.

16. Street Fighter Anniversary
2D fighting at its most graceful.

15. Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Crowned king of soccer games.

14. Super Mario Kart
Marvellous Super Nintendo racer that brought together all those characters and continues to influence game design today.

13. Ico
Sony’s admirable adventure was an awards dinner stalwart, but less-than stellar at the retail tills.

12. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
A blockbuster by any standards; 2004’s biggest selling game offered gamers the chance to join a crime family; stylistically the game owes much to mob movies but who’s complaining?

11. Yoshi's Island
A platformer par excellence, in which Yoshi got to be the star attraction at last.

10. Super Metroid
Gumpei Yokoi’s SNES 2D platformer was set in a sci-fi universe oft-imitated, but rarely convincingly.

09. Tetris
Russia’s most significant contribution to popular culture in the last quarter of a century. Maybe.

08. Final Fantasy XII
Epic RPG from Square which sought to move the battle-system forward.

07. Halo
Bungie’s shooter kept Microsoft in the console game, with new iterations continuing to beguile.

06. The Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Despite being a Super Nintendo release, the game still holds its own today on Virtual Console for Wii.

05. Super Mario World
A launch game for SNES that brought Mario into the 1990s.

04. Half-Life 2
Valve’s sci-fi shooter really got into player’s minds, with ingenious puzzles and a great story.

03. Super Mario 64
The archetype for 3D platforming.

02. Resident Evil 4
Capcom’s third-person horror shooter moved the genre on from shambling zombies, but still managed to scare the hell out of everyone.

01. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Not for the first time, nor perhaps the last, rated as the best game ever.

[Edge Magazine]

[edit on 11/7/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Majora's mask is an absolute anus of a game, trying to finish it in the crappy little 3 day thing is hard...plus i have to borrow an expansion pack to play it.

Is there a point in the game where the 3 day limit is paused?

Roswell.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by roswell1

No it's a great game which complements Ocarina wonderfully.

The 3 day count down doesn't stop but it's not a problem, at all. Each time you beat a boss you just go back and go onto the next dungeon.

Plus if you play the song of time backwards, it slows time to 50% normal speed.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
so each time i beat a boss, i can play the ocarina and stop the moon, but still have completed the one boss? or does the game reset after the three days?

i didn't know about the song of time thing, that's good to know.

Roswell.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I don't get your question so I'll say this.

There are four elemental Dungeons, each with their respective bosses.
A dungeon and a boss is easy to do in the 3 days, even in normal time-speed.

Technically you can do multiple dungeons in 3 days but its kinda pointless.

After your first dungeon you travel back in time to the beginning of the3 days and go onto the next dungeon. The one you have already done resets itself too, BUT after you beat a boss, you receive a mask which is the important thing. You keep the mask when you reset time so it doesn't matter.

the time aspect really isn't a big deal.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Thanks, that's what i meant in less confusing terms

I just asked my cuz for his expansion pack, prolly be playin soon...

Roswell.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Getting MM was great motivation for mum to get an expansion pack (I was a kid at the time). Once you get 1 you can play Perfect Dark and all the other great games that need one.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Im VERY happy to see Rome:Total War on there.

Perfect Dark too.
**Saw rest of list***

Advance Wars is the best.

I think Oblivion should have been in the top 10.

The article pretty much makes itself Useless, but having a Soccer game on there, and not a Madden Game...

Perfect Dark was WAY better then GoldenEye

And Halo has taken the Mantle of the best classic FPS.

Halo 1, on a LAN is still the best for me.

1v1 on 2 TV beats anything. The more, the better.

No game has the multiplayer fun as Halo:CE. The 2nd/3rd are ok, but when you play there with your friends, you sit there quietly not saying a word or noise. With Halo one, ever second is a Frantic scream, and oww, and Ahhhs... and trash-talking...

[edit on 11/7/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

I did post the rest. It was just that I ran out of space so I continued it on my second post. Read on brother.

And btw. Perfect Dark better than 007: GE? Are you insane?!

Goldeneye is better than PD for the same reason that Halo is better than Halo 2.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ocarina of time is my all time favorite vidio game! I can never seem to find it in the local pawn shops... I need it back! lent it to my nephew and his drunken mom pawned it!!!!
:bash:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Antar, you're lucky, Americans have pawn shops, i think there is only one shop in the city here that sells Nintendo 64 games, and they only usually have about 5-6 games (good ones are taken fast...)

Roswell.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Thought I'd plug my other thread at this point to try and get it going.

Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day!!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I've played about half of those games, and they are all good, the best would have to be, The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, the first Zelda game i EVER played, and also the first i beat in one night, without dieing, not easy, took years of practice, and social outcasting, now i don't have a life, looking back on it i think i made the right choice.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The top six games of the list are all games that i lost parts of my life to... including ALL zelda games since the original NES version.

A couple more games that should be closer to the top are the HALO games, all three of them, Elder scrolls 3 and 4, Super Mario 64, and my favorite game of all time(one of the many) Goldeneye 007 for the N64.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
No Super Mario Bros. 3? That's my all-time favorite. And I'm glad to see Shenmue make the list. It is a very underrated and under-appreciated game.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join