It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Tuesday America decided a new president AND a different direction. Right... that's for another thread though. As a Canadian I am unsure of how to think about the reactions that are going on here at ATS. With the massive amounts of votes needed to raise oneself to the presidency, there had to be people that voted, strictly by party but THOSE that voted both for Bush AND Obama. Logic dictates that.

This happened in 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988, 1884, 1980, 1976............

Of course it's going to be emotional, politics just is. What's with the neigh saying Obama is not good before the man takes office? The same as 2000? 1992? 1980?.....

To me America made it's decision again. Why the griping? We've got people here that voted for Carter, then Reagan. Reagan and then Clinton.....

What I'm not getting is that you guys are ALL Americans. The pendulem swings but the devisiveness remains even though there is no choice but to accept this until the next election day.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yes well you forget the princple that states a normal human + anonymity + an audience = obnoxios A hole.

That's pretty much what we are seeing here. Everywhere else I go, I get unity and comraderie from my fellow man.

Not here though. But I chalk that up to anonymity. Post and Validate all of our snail mail addresses and I guarantee you the tone would be different.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have said it once and I will say it again and this fits great with this conspiracy site.

The government got us right where they want us......divided and bent over.

As long as the government can keep us divided, we will never have the power to confront them because it will always be a divided issue. Half will support what the Democrat say and the other half will defend what the Republicans say. That is part of the reason it is so hard to fix the issues that we face.

Personally, I think we should get rid of all the parties and elect people based on their plans.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well the fact remains that yes we are all Americans and in this mess for the long haul.

To answer your question I can only answer for myself by saying this:

Barack Obama is the new president elect of my country, and while I will recognize him as such and give him due respect....I still do not have to like it. Nor do I have to pretend to like it for the benefit of anyone else.

Many see this election as the answer to their prayers, and just the same many see this Obama win as the stuff of nightmares.

This country has long been divided in many ways and will continue to be for a long time to come. It's just the way it is, and nothing you or I can do will change that. You cant expect a gigantic melting pot of 300 Million people to all see eye to eye on politics, or anything else for that matter.

If change and unity is to come it will be done slowly and gradually and should not be expected to miraculously take place over night. And it will be done willingly by the people, it will not be accomplished by having change forced down our collective throats.

While I did not vote for Obama and I do not have much faith in his brand of government I will however respect his office and position as president. I will do the same during his administration as I have during the last administration, and that is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hi Intrepid. I have noticed the same trend. I love the guys who jump somersaults saying President Obama is not a citizen. Truth be known, technically, neither was McCain.

For a variety of reasons people still cannot handle the results: Subliminal racism, fear of the unknown as far as changes that will result, comfort zones of America's current status quo will be offset, overdoing the paranoia factor.

Towards the last three weeks of heated attack ads were comical. Snippets of truth, but mostly downright untruths unleashed by McCains camp.

Sad really. Even the 'what if Obama gets assasinated' threads.

I am glad America has Obama. I am proud of him. He never lost his dignity or charm. He is real. If any one can pull this country out of the cesspool my money is on Obama.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

My theory -

Something's happening in the 2 major political parties of our country. The Democratic party is united behind the new president.

The Republican party is taking a good look in the mirror. They realize that this divide and conquer strategy has worked so well, and unfortunately, a huge divide has been created in their own party. Those 2 basic factions of the Republican party are "true conservatives" and "extremists".

The "true conservatives" can, for the most part buck up and accept the president and treat him with respect, but they still don't like it because they disagree with Obama's positions on the issues. TOTALLY understandable.

Then there are the "extremists" who follow Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Karl Rove and the like, who feel that their team didn't win and they're pissed. They really thought there was no way a gay, racist Muslim who was born in Kenya would be our next president... They hate everything right now and they're intent on spreading their attitude and hostility around like a cancer on as many people as they can.

The Republican party is revamping, and these extremist views aren't going to be welcome in the party. These people are going to be left to form their own party or be left in the cold. Their outdated ideas against personal freedom, acceptance and progression are causing them to be left behind as this country moves forward into a more accepting country, who honors the individual as well as other countries. And they're just not happy at all.

I don't waste my time trying to "debate" with them now, but many do. And that's why so much tension is happening.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

well people like myself tend to think that, oh i dont know........maybe a president should be proven BEFORE taking office. i know thats way out there but thats what i think.

im ashamed that we have to pick between tweedle dee and tweedle duh, every time.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

'trep

This is just my opinion, but I think a lot of folks have come to the realization that It's not the voter that decides, but Money, and the media.

In other words, decisions were made on "false intelligence".

edit because I am a bad typyst

[edit on 6-11-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Tuesday America decided a new president AND a different direction. Right... that's for another thread though. As a Canadian I am unsure of how to think about the reactions that are going on here at ATS. With the massive amounts of votes needed to raise oneself to the presidency, there had to be people that voted, strictly by party but THOSE that voted both for Bush AND Obama. Logic dictates that.

This happened in 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988, 1884, 1980, 1976............

Of course it's going to be emotional, politics just is. What's with the neigh saying Obama is not good before the man takes office? The same as 2000? 1992? 1980?.....

To me America made it's decision again. Why the griping? We've got people here that voted for Carter, then Reagan. Reagan and then Clinton.....

What I'm not getting is that you guys are ALL Americans. The pendulem swings but the devisiveness remains even though there is no choice but to accept this until the next election day.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by intrepid]

It depends on what you mean by we have "no choice" but to accept his becoming president. Will I still go to my job and do it well? Yes. Will I still pay taxes, even the increases that I know are coming? Yes. Will I acknowledge Obama as my president? NO! Will I give him respect? Let's just say respect is earned. So far, he has earned NOTHING. This election was handed to him on a silver platter by three things: the mere color of his skin, and the hatred of the current administration and the overwhelmingly biased media.

When this man does something that earns respect I will acknowledge that. But the policies on which he stands for I will never agree with because I am not a liberal. Those policies are dangerous and destructive to this nation, in my opinion.

Under those pretenses, I will forever remain divided on the ideologies of liberals and Democrats. That means I don't compromise my principals to make the masses happy. That's called uncompromising loyalty to one's beliefs. What about that don't you understand?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think its pretty simple....though I cant say im speaking for all

The "naysayers" didnt vote for him because they do not believe he is good for this country. And since we love our country and want what is best, we are not happy.

Also some of us believe that one has to proove himself, especially in a position such as President. And there isnt anything that has shown (proof) that Mr. Obama can do the job.

As I said in another thread: my life will go on and hopefully the decisions Mr. Obama makes for this country will not have a negative affect on my life or this country I call home.

Trust and respect is EARNED not just given. He needs to earn both from half of America
Just because he can deliver a nice speach and say "change" means nothing to me.

And lets face it: If McCain had won. The exact same threads would be happening - only they would be about McCain, not Obama

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
As an Obama supporter I disagree with many of the posters in this thread and elsewhere on ATS. Sometimes I despair at the total ethnophobia being displayed. but then again I take comfort in the fact that I haven't seen one prediction that has been made on this site come to fruition. Every prediction has been wrong. That fact alone reflects on the quality of the minds that make these ridiculous claims and predictions. Paranoia masquerading as independent thinking. May you all find personal peace as you struggle in your continued existence.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameneter

it has nothing to do with race.

speaking of predictions never coming to fruit, how about the one about obama, and change. havent seen it, so how the hell do you know.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameneter
I haven't seen one prediction that has been made on this site come to fruition. Every prediction has been wrong.

Um, one came true today. You just haven't been paying attention. The prediction was that Obama's motto of "change" was just for the campaign.

Today he appointed Rahm Emanuel as his chief of staff. Emanuel was Clinton's chief of staff when he was in office.

So much for change. Looks like history reepeating itself so far.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
And lets face it: If McCain had won. The exact same threads would be happening - only they would be about McCain, not Obama.

That's exactly my point. The election is over, America made it's choice. The doom saying and rhetoric are wasted energy. Like I said, you are ALL Americans, why let the PTB separate you further? There is nothing that can be done until the next election.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

This thread is not about discussing the candidates. Please don't bring into this thread the devisive junk that we're talking about. Let's keep this one clean. Lrt's move forward.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I voted McCain and we lost and that's that. Obama will be the next President and I have four years to watch and protest if I have to and see if he is any good. We know the republicans didn't fix anything so I'm giving Dem's the benefit of a doubt to try and fix it. I think there are just some sore losers roaming around in here. I accept defeat and know that America is a place where anyone can win an election if they try harder. Obama's campaign whooped the Republicans campaign and sent us home. My only hope is that the change Obama's does for this country is good for it.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think for the most part Americans still believe that the government is their "daddy" and would never do harm to them. The reality of the situation is this (IMHO) John was NEVER supposed to win. He was the 2nd choice , Obama is a better salesman and the new "Face" , the fact that he has mass appeal will make it easier for sheople to accept the nwo. Like I've said before. THE NAMES CHANGE BUT THE GAME STAYS THE SAME!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hey, Obama is the President now, and I wish him well.

All of you know how strongly I fought against Obama until now and opposed his policies, but the fact remains that he won.

I for one can accept that, although I don't particularly like it.

All I can do is keep doing my part to move this country forward, and if that means going toe to toe with the President so be it.

Make no mistake though, if Obama is right on something, I'll be right there with him cheering him on. If he's wrong, I'll be right there screaming my lungs out too.

We're all Americans, so as long as the country succeeds, I'm happy.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
We're all Americans, so as long as the country succeeds, I'm happy.

That's just it. Some of us know that the country WON'T succeed under this administration. It's not possible under the flawed principals which he was running on top of.

That is why we remain divided. Some of us know that this administration will doom this country to further ruin and the rest don't care. Their historic figurehead was elected and that's ALL they care about.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Am I to be happy and complacent with a non-choice between two evils? What does it matter which gains office? The choice is illusory. When politicians of either major party stop saying one thing while doing another... maybe my views will change. When debate on any issue doesn't degenerate into some kind of spin contest... then maybe they will earn some respect. Until then I have nothing but contempt for any of them. When we are given something in the way of a true choice in candidates, and not just whatever person the major political parties think they can sell to the public through the media... then I might call the process something other than a sham.

Hope that clears up some of your confusion.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Resinveins]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join