It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem with the left and right paradigm.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
You know if we keep having people who are left-leaning and right-leaning or conservative or liberal we're gong to continue to have Stalins and Hitlers.

That's why I think it's best to be in the middle. I'm a moderate. I'm liberal on the economy, and, I have strong views on morality when it comes to social issues.

It's best to be moderate, in my opinion, so, you don't get too caught up with the left and right continuum.

Left is up, right is down, I mean, really, who cares?

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
No responses?

I really think this way. I think people need to be more open minded to other points of views.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Its extremist ideology thats the problem.Think of it also as a row boat.What happens if you lean too far to left or the right?You capsize.This is why we have the right to bear arms.In case neo-cons like Bush and Cheney come out of the woodwork.But the jig is up.A freeze on all bank transfers out of america should be enforced until tax time by someone not part of the IRS.
Tax both republican and democrat party members.Hollywood also.Everyone of them.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I think everybody is sorta in the Middle, I believe in Left Economic Policies. I believe in pay as you go, not borrow and spend, something established in the 90's I hope the democrats bring back. I don't agree with limiting our video games or music, except to those under 18.

I believe in strong defense of our borders, not only to bite illegal immigration in the butt, but also terrorists from entering our country(although I do remember all the 9/11 hijackers getting in here legally).

I believe in gun rights, but not semi-automatic rifles, hanguns should be enough, I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this seeing as how I have an AR-15.

I don't believe in capital punishment or abortion. But I don't think abortion should be limited by the government. I don't believe in gay marriage because marriage is seen as something sacred/religous and religion obviously doesn't agree with that. However if it was renamed UNIONS and treated as given the same rights I do agree with that.

After I've now know how Bush tricked us into War I don't agree with that either. What do I believe in? The Constitution, Bill of Rights, Habeus Corpus etc.. etc...

[edit on 6-11-2008 by djpaec]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

I would agree but I've been becoming more and more aware about the geographical differences which separates our country (the US). It's been true for a long time that red states and blue states are within different parts of the country. I think while most people in the country are in the middle a lot of people would never want to admit they are on one side or the other, on, some political view, and on another side, on another political view, and I think that can cause a lot of stress with the political climate.

Don't you agree that it's a bit of a problem?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think it's best to be whatever I want.

I agree with Conservative ideology, thus I'm a Conservative.

I don't want to sacrifice what I believe in in order to appear "moderate" to appease anyone else.

This idea of having everyone get along in some wonderful moderate group is silly in my opinion.

We can all be whatever we want to be and we'll make it work anyway, we always have.

Do you honestly believe people like Stalin and Hitler won't come around anyway? A psycho is a psycho is a psycho.

I refuse to believe my choosing to have a different political ideology will contribute to that.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

Thus our biggest and most overlooked problem; who is picked for those super delegates that voted? How many months ago and where they bribed into casting that vote..?

What about those whom don't like us very much or the idea of free society and free enterprises and jobs. and what happens when the open border allows countless millions of illegal (defined by law) whom are thus allowed to vote in this still free society, which they have no earned right to enjoy.

What is so wrong with the country they left to come here?

Maybe pictured ID cards andfences are a good thing, thus keeping bad out, but also keeping us trapped within...

Just my crazy imagination.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Stewmeat]

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Stewmeat]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i think the "problem" is that with a left and right, two parties, two choices...they dont allow for views that differ from the ones they set for the people to follow.

you may notice that issues become polarized and very quickly. its just far easier to paint everything with a massively large brush to come up with myopic extreme views on issues.

lets take abortion of example. this isnt an open to debate on the issue im just using it as an example. for some its one way or the other, you oppose it or you are for it. now for me its not so easy. as a former EMT i feel there is a medical necessity for abortions but that doesnt mean i support it 100%, it just means i support it for specific reasons and situations.

the point in this is that you cant apply a blanket statement to every situation that falls under that issue. its unfair requires absolutely zero thought and is a poor way to view things. not everything is one way, not everything can be addressed and fix with A single answer. it just doesnt work.

i dont think having a different view from one one either polar end is moderate but i do think they are more well thought out and more realistic. but they are considered moderate and i think so thats so people can accuse "moderate" people of being wishwashy, not firm enough on issues, whatever.

i dont view my opinions as moderate some rather not polarizing, they are situational i suppose. i recognize that now all situations are the same. stealing to feed your children and stealing to support a drug habit are two entirely different things and while stealing is wrong i find letting your children starve is morally reprehensible but that doesnt mean i approve of or condone stealing even then but it is understandable. this is what i mean.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I wanted to raise this thread because I think it is an important issue. I understand the logic behind being moderate, centrist, etc. In principle, it seems to make sense, and in certain situations, it is often a good road. And I respect the OP's position, but here is my (biased) belief:

The problem with being politically moderate is that it is in itself a response to the dichotomy of right and left. It is a way to try to get assistance and support from both sides of the aisle, and therefore to be more effective and persuasive. However, if most were on board with one side or the other, we would not need the center road.

I will freely admit my bias: I am about as left as one can be on nearly every issue under the sun. Throughout history, there have been left and right wing forces (they were only given those names around the time of the French Revolution, but the basic points of view transcend time and place). In my study as a student of history, I have seen rightist ideas lead to corruption, violence, death, inequality, and the demise of entire civilizations. By contrast, when they have been allowed to flourish, leftist ideas lead to freedom, peace, life, equality, and the thriving of various nations. However, left ideas have traditionally been relegated to the margins of society...until reality demonstrates that they work. Until reality forces left wing ideas to be implemented.

Let us take the terms "liberal" and "conservative." What do they connote? On the one hand, "liberal" brings to mind liberty, freedom, tolerance, acceptance, and allowance. "Conservative," by contrast brings to mind conservation, protection, saving, narrowing, and withholding. Conservatism is concerned with protecting what is already there - the status quo. Conservatism is by definition slow to embrace change. It is focused on defending things. It assumes a limited supply. It is therefore narrow-minded. Whichever flavor of conservatism you look at, they all have one thing in common - fear. Conservatism is based on and motivated by fear. Fear of loss, of change. Well the nature of life and reality is to change, so conservatism does not seem to be on board with life and reality. Liberalism, (or however you want to term left wing, progressive ideas) is focused on freedom and equality, compassion and acceptance, tolerance and respect for one another. It believes in community and harmony rather than isolation and division. It is based out of love rather than fear.

Since humans are either motivated by fear or by love, the political dichotomy between right and left has sprung from this. Therefore I see the only sensible choice is to veer to the left. To choose love over fear. People make the claim that both are two extremes, and therefore are no more or less valid than the other. I disagree. Since this all comes from humans, and humans create dichotomies, we will continue to have this paradigm. Good and evil is a dichotomy, yet most would claim to choose good over evil, yes? Why? Are they not equally-valid concepts? It is all ultimately artificial.

I strive towards that which creates and sustains life, so I veer to the left. People argue that far right and far left governments have proved equally disastrous. Well, I have seen few examples of far left governments in the history of civilization, but many far right ones. No wonder we are where we are. Nazi Germany was far right. The USSR...was NOT far left. It was also far right. Show me a far left society, and then show me what has proved disastrous about it. We have not embraced these ideas because they are bad, simply because most people are still locked in fear. So it continues.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I feel at the very least,we should experiment with some other directions how a bout

Up
Down
In
Out

Perpendicular

Forward
Backward

I dunno just trying to say ,the problem with the middle is it's a fixed point ,there's now where to go from there

But I ya about the crazy strife it's ridiculous

new topics

top topics

join