It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-black...really?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Obama considers himself Black because America labeled him Black. The rule that labeled him Black is called "the One-drop rule"

The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term in the United States that holds that a person with any trace of African ancestry is considered black unless having an alternative non-white ancestry which he or she can claim, such as Native American, Asian, Arab, or Australian aboriginal.

Mainly because of the one-drop rule, there are many pale-skinned people who are considered black. In many of these instances, the person can actually have more white ancestry than black. There are examples of how this could happen through the generations. During slavery, there could have been a mulatto person, who because of the one-drop rule, was considered black. If they then had a child with a white person, the child would have been one-quarter black, but still considered black.

One-drop rule

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
thanks walkinghomer, thats very interesting!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
I am 1/16th Cherokee.

So can I call myself Native American?

Legally, I believe so. I'm pretty sure that 1/16 is still the "standard cut-off" to label someone "Black", or in our case "Native American".

My mother is 1/8th Sioux, and I'm 1/16th; however, we're both as blonde haired & blue eyed as you could imagine anyone to be.

Quite a while back there were some reparations paid to Native Americans, and I know that we were contacted to see if we wanted to "claim our share". While we're proud of our diverse heritage, we politely turned the money down. We were not raised with a Sioux lifestyle; so it seemed wrong to attempt to claim any such reparations.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Was just returning to the thread to add something I remembered from when I researched the abolition slavery and beyond but Walking Homer has said it perfectly. It used to be that one drop of negro blood make you a negro and during slavery days, mixed children were treated as negro's. Which is where it perhaps stems from.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Actually come to think of it, Obama never really exaggerated his "blackness".

While some cynics have said that this was because doing so would have risked losing white, suburban voters (which I reckon was partly the case); I think that Obama genuinely does not see himself as being of any particular race.

A BBC correspondent described his self-identification as being "post-racial". It would be nice if this turns out to be true.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

True. Plenty of other people have, but he pretty much ignores it.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Pretty sure the legal requirement to claim any race is above 12.5%. Obama although not very black and far more Arab, can claim his 18% black ancestry.

Although a small portion black we can see he prefers the MCsame from the clinton years on his staff.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Does it really matter? What would it change?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Most black-white mixed race people self identify as black for whatever reason.

The media are latching on to his race in order to sensationalise the story as Obama being the first black president. Rightfully so in my opinion, since this is indeed a historic step for America regardless of his policies; from this day forward let noone dare say that blacks are disadvantaged and repressed!

Obama self-identified as black for this reason. Also, it would become a bit of a mouthful to call himself "half black, half white".

The sad thing about Obama is that he credited his absent father for his beliefs (In Dreams of my Father), yet he didn't once mention the mother that raised him in his victory speech. Not very nice, if you ask me...

Maybe because his grandmother raised him more?
So if his mother wasn't white you wouldn't care? Sounds racist to me.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by LittlePinky82]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I tell you now, Obama being called black is a black racists point of view.
The first time I saw Obama I honestly did not know what race he was just by looking at him. I thought that he quite possibly could have been middle east by race, but I definitely could tell he was mixed.

I, myself, am 50% American Indian and 50% Caucasian. I have had different remarks toward me by various people about what race I am. And, I know I am Half American Indian and half Caucasian, so I don't try to make people believe I am something I am not.

Obama shows his racism by attaching himself to the idea that he is black. The entire notion of someone being black or white was started by racist idiots in the first place. Whoever thought of the notion of labeling Nubians as black, and Caucasians as white, was the biggest fool of our time!

There are many different races with darker and whiter skin than the Nubians and the Caucasians! The whole concept of black and white is the most racist system of explaining a race since all of time!

And, not only that, but corporations and government entities ask if you are black or white on applications!

THE GOVERNMENT AND MANY CORPORATIONS HAVE PLACED THEMSELVES ABOVE THE INDIVIDUAL, AND THEY ATTEMPT TO BELITTLE PEOPLE BY LABELING THEM BLACK OR WHITE!!!
PEOPLE SHOULD RISE UP AND DEFEND THE RACE THEY ARE BY DEMANDING THAT APPLICATIONS BE CHANGED TO ASK IF YOU ARE A PARTICULAR RACE OR A COMBINATION OF RACES AND NOT A RACE BY COLOR!!! IT IS JUST WRONG TO ASK SOMEONE IF THEY ARE BLACK OR WHITE!!!

I also hate the applications that do not offer the option to check mark as many races as you are! Most people exist being a mixture of several races, and they deserve to be recognized for who they are completely and not in part.

By Obama going public and saying he is black, he is advocating the racist idea of calling people black or white! And, I know Obama knows better! Since Obama is half white he knows what it is like to have people make bad comments toward him concerning both of the races that he is. So, Obama can relate with the false notion of being called white or black, and he should be the first one to push reform concerning this terrible issue!

As I have said before...

I WILL KEEP PRAYING FOR OBAMA'S PROTECTION, DIRECTION, AND LEADERSHIP! BUT, I DO NOT SUPPORT THOSE NOTIONS, IDEAS, AND HABITS OF MOST OF WHAT OBAMA THINKS AND DOES THAT ARE SIMPLY NOT RIGHT! AND, THIS BLACK AND WHITE ISSUE OF HIS JUST REVEALS EITHER WHAT AN IDIOT HE IS, OR HE IS SOMEONE WHO IGNORES THOSE IDEALS THAT NEED TRUE CHANGE!!!

Let's make this world better by accepting people for who they are COMPLETELY, and not by racists standards!

I was on the bus the other day, after the election. About 30 black youths got on the bus and started saying out loud that Obama finally got one over on the white man. The bus driver didn't stop them, so I stood up and told them that Obama is half white, so how can you say a half white man got something over on the white man! Then I said that if it had not been for the white vote that Obama would not have been elected as the next president!

Well, every one of those black youths shut up, and the bus driver, who was black, did not stop me, nor did she tell me to sit down and shut up!

All those black youths got their hatred, racist attitude, and disrespect from someone: was it their families, parents, grandparents, or the media? Maybe all of the above!?

In any case, I never heard any white people making hateful racist remarks when Bush was elected twice! Three times if you count Bush's father! Not one white person shouted on the bus that Bush got another one over on the black people!

I COMPLETELY HATE THE WHOLE RACE ISSUE, AND IF SOMETHING ISN'T DONE ABOUT IT THIS USA IS GOING TO END UP IN A TERRIBLE SITUATION!

So, if you care about this, you should pray and demand racial reform!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

While some cynics have said that this was because doing so would have risked losing white, suburban voters (which I reckon was partly the case); I think that Obama genuinely does not see himself as being of any particular race.

A BBC correspondent described his self-identification as being "post-racial". It would be nice if this turns out to be true.

Go and listen to his acceptance speach. He very much considers himself black man and all but said so during that speach.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join