It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World hopes for a 'less arrogant America'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
I stayed up late last night / this morning and watched the news over here in the UK, watched some more today, and unless it is just our media's way of reporting one thing stuck out.

The majority of the interviews with the American public (well at least the ones I saw) were held with black Americans and all interviewed were estatic that Obama had won, fair enough the guy you voted for has won and so be happy.

BUT the reason for the happiness was because a black American had been voted in, it seemed to me at least that their votes had been based on colour first and creating American history second................politics got the bronze.

Does anyone else think that or am I way off he mark ????

Finally before you try to put a racist slant on my post then be aware that my neighbour is Indian and we get on very well thank you, in fact we gossip like two housewives nearly everyday.

Wolfie

I couldnt disagree more with you wolfie. It wasnt about color. Obama is a man of the people, a man of many different cultures. His family is from kenya. He grew up in indonesia. He did some very good things in his life and earned the respect of people through that. Not because he was black.

People are just excited because no one ever thought it would happen in their lifetime. It just shows how many leaps and bounds america HAS made over time, and we havent just been standing still, we have been progressing, and that was an important message to get out there

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Of course African Americans are happy and thrilled and any other adjective you can toss out there... they have every right to be. Think about it 250 years of slavery... another 100 as marginalized second class citizens and 50 year since the civil rights movement and finally a black man is elected president with a significant majority.

And of course the media fixates on that one aspect... but that is what it does... the U.S. media does not do nuance.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Of course African Americans are happy and thrilled and any other adjective you can toss out there... they have every right to be. Think about it 250 years of slavery... another 100 as marginalized second class citizens and 50 year since the civil rights movement and finally a black man is elected president with a significant majority

Grover I don't know you or what colour you are, in truth I don't care purely because if we can talk to each other then race, religion etc does not matter to me and should not matter to you.

Your post I quoted, quite rightfully it tells about so many wrongs against Black / African Americans, I just hope that the election of Obama does not stoke the fires of retribution to the point were friends / neighbours end up as enemies.

If this makes sense then good, because trying to type the right words and not let them be taken out of context is hard.

Wolfie

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

For the record I am white and from the south... and my late wife was Chinese/Porteguese/English/Dutch/ and Black... and I am a Baha'i'.

Race is not an issue with me. And I would be seriously surprised and be the first to condemn it if Obama's presidency cultivated further racial division as opposed to helping to heal it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I can't say that I'm pleased with Obama being elected, and I believe the real choice was between the lesser of 2 evils.

Knowing the outcome of this election, I had the peace of mind to be able to vote for Nader. But Obama won, and all I can say is that I did my part.

I will say that I truly believe, as has been a shared sentiment not only here on ATS but from all over, that there will be some extremely difficult times ahead. However, I can see the hope the world has in us, and that truly gives me hope too.

To better days ^.^
-JR

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join