It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's been reading my U2U's???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I've just logged into my account. This is my first loggin in just over a week; maybe even two. This can be checked by the mods by looking at IP records because my IP (although dynamic) changes little over a month and I log my own IP's so I can discount them from my own websites' access logs. Anyway, it looks like my U2U's have been read by someone (O.K, to keep in line with ATS, something) other than me.

How do I know?

Well, unread U2U's are emboldened and have an "N" in their penultimate column.

Of course, this could have been caused by a system upgrade or forum software glitch. It's not as though I get any interesting U2U's any other than those received from ATS (few ever understand me and I make even fewer friends).

I just thought I'd ask whether anyone else has noticed anything untoward with their accounts?

I hope this is just becaused by an innocent software glitch. Perhaps the mods can take a look into it.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This is one of the two glitches with the U2Us. The other one is that the notification stays on even when you read them. The only person that can read them is Skeptic Overlord and he doesn't read them unless you complain. I've seen this happen to me before several times.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This happens when the member that sent you the u2u checks it in their Outbox.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacity

I also have noticed that some of my "new" u2u's aren't showing up as unread. I'm sure no one has been reading them though. Must be some kind of a glitch.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yep just a little glitch, Happen to me now and there, I can assure you ATS does not read your u2us,

Seems to happen when theres site tweeking going on,

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I believe intrepid is correct.

I also believe there used to be a glitch where failing to capitalize a name that should be capitalized in the address field would cause the U2U not to be emboldened, however I believe that has been fixed as I cannot recreate that glitch by sending U2Us to myself right now.

Anyway, the security of private messages is closely guarded by ATS- not even supermods are entrusted with the ability to access them.

My own personal theory on the matter, which is unrelated to my staff position, is that ATS has discovered a fool-proof privacy guard: Only give information to people who are too busy to act on idle curiousity.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The other cause of this is when a u2u goes out to multiple recipients the first person to read it (click it) causes it to show as "read" in everyone else's inbox.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
The other cause of this is when a u2u goes out to multiple recipients the first person to read it (click it) causes it to show as "read" in everyone else's inbox.

Springer...

This may well be true but I have a hard time believing I am the first person to read most of the u2us that are sent out in mass. Seems my are always marked as unread. Guess I'll keep a watch for that action to occur.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I don't think it necessarily happens on the mass/admin u2us, but I know it does on the comma delineated, multi name u2us.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

There is still the glitch which I know does exist. It also explains why the U2U light stays on when there are supposedly "no new messages."

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm glad to know it's nothing more than a software glitch. Shame though because for a second there I thought I was on the most wanted list! I was about to go all M.A.D and expected Jane Blonde jumping through my bedroom window....I'll have to make do with tall Nordics.

Cheers All

Disclaimer: In the above, I was in no way indicating that I'm not already mad. I'm sure plenty say I have been for many, many years (life, even).

new topics

top topics

join