It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we the milky way?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Obviously, everyone knows that we are in the Milky Way galaxy. But I once read something that stated we are not that galaxy, but actually we are another galaxy thats crashing into the 'what we see' milky way. I was juts wondering how true any of this is, because I do know that colliding galaxies are known to make love, not war. So I thought maybe could be a possibility. Anyhow, just checking to see if this idea has any truth behind it or if we are just one single galaxy.

Thanks

Schmidt1989

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yes I went to a few physics forums to explore that. I can't remember all the details now, but it was not supported except for one who made some interesting points. I have never researched those points yet. The main conjecture was that we are iron enriched, as is the milky way. So, if we were a part of the galaxy being cannabalized, then we would be an anomaly as that system is not iron based. However the points I remember being brought up that interested me, but no one commented on the implications, was that they used to believe there was one large supernova of an iron based star that had played a role in forming this solar system. The poster said that it was discovered due to layers in the crust that there was a previous explosion prior that actually formed it, and that was a non iron based star. Then the second explosion, obviously from the milky way, enriched our solar system. (I didn't research any of this. It could easily be contested. I may look into it a little later).

The other point was on the front line, where this is happening actively is relatively close to our solar system. A nearby star is Bernard's star, on our side of the front line in the battle. Apparently it is an anomaly, at least due to its age compared to comparative stars, perhaps composition. Like I said, I have no idea if what this guy said was true. If there were two supernovas, not just one, that formed our solar system and I don't know too much about Bernard's star. If those things were misinformation, then its highly unlikely we are a part of the second galaxy. If they're true, it does create some questions concerning which galaxy we belong to. I've been curious ever since I read that other forum debate.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by mystiq]

Edit to add: I'm just doing a quick search to see if the Bernard's star is in fact older than the others and can't find anything on it.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have heard this theory expressed before. I have one question in relation to it. What are the possible ramifications? How does it effect day to day life past present or future?

Galaxies combine with a relatively high rate of frequency. The amount of star collisions is extremely low even in dense regions. From everything I have ever read, our solar system could transfer to another galaxy completely and here on earth we would notice nothing different other than the stars at night being different.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I know of no evidence that the Milky Way has been part of a galactic collision but there is a very good chance we will be. The Milky Way is on a collision course with the Andromeda Galaxy (M31). But don't hold your breath. It will be 3 billion years before anything noticeable will occur. What will happen? Unless we are extremely unlucky and another star happens to get really close, all we will notice is more stars in the sky. But even that change will take a long long time so no one person would notice any change at all.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Our milky way galaxy is a cannibal galaxy currently gravitationally interacting and gobbling a dwarf galaxy named sagittarius dwarf and there are some theories that our solar system was pulled by the milky way from the sagittarius dwarf and this is based on the non alignment of the solar system with the centre of the milky way.

And also, the reason why we are not able to see that galaxy is that, it is on the other side our galaxy and when our solar system was caught in the outer edge it accelerated and settled into to its current position and orbit to match for the gravity exerted by the the galaxy.

Does that help.

[edit on 31/10/08 by peacejet]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This was one of the sites I clicked on from another forum a while back. Then I did some searches for more information: www.mondovista.com...
After reading what I said above, I wasn't really up to researching things, because I didn't know if I could evaluate the information at all and was hoping some more scientific types would. I never heard more on it until now.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Sagittarius dwarf is orbiting the Milky Way and is being consumed by it. The Solar System may be alien to the Milky Way. Cool, and kind of creepy.

We may get sent on our merry way with the Andromeda collision. We are wanderers! Intergalactic gypsies.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Yes, we are in for a very bumpy ride when we hit andromeda, the possible implications are jaw dropping, either we get gobbled up by a black hole or fall into a star or fall into the center of the merged galaxy.

Or better still, we might miss andromeda entirely, because we only know that it is approaching us, and we are unsure of the sideways speed so, if the galaxy is moving in correct angular speed and sideways speed, we will see it missing us and just fly by.

Now that is what you dont see in the movies.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
By that time, I hope at least, we have journeyed much further than this corner of the galaxy, and have positioned ourselves in a somewhat better location. Gee I wonder what the Andromedan Council has to say about all of this. That Galaxy is supposed to be populated!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the input and information, looks like im not the only one who didn't know.

So, Phage, I understand there are 2 objects colliding, but the mystery still is which object our solar system is on, is that correct?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

From what I make of it, the Milky Way has been absorbing our galactic companion as it spirals closer and through it. Part of it seems to have entered our general neighborhood but I can't really find anything but a bit of speculation about Earth coming from the other galaxy (I got a bit carried away). I'd like to know if peacejet knows anything more about this.

This site seems to have a pretty good handle on what the current information is:
www.solstation.com...

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I was just reading about plasma cosmology by Eric Lerner
and looking at a diagram for the scale of the universe.

Apparently 3 light years between stars is normal.

Galaxies have 100s of billions of stars
are 100 thousand light years, ly, in expanse
and 100 million ly distance from the next galaxies.

Galaxy clusters of 1000s are 20 million ly in expanse
and 100 million ly distance from the next galaxy cluster.

Super clusters of dozens of clusters are 300 million ly
expanse and 150 million ly from the next super cluster.

Once in awhile galaxies will collide.

top topics

join