It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia boasts development of new weapon to blast through NMD system.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
A senior Defence Ministry official in Russia announced today that they have developed a new weapon capable of busting through the united states proposed National Missile Defence system due to be deployed in its first stages as early as next year. The official, who was not identified by name, said tests conducted during last month's military maneuvers would dramatically change the philosophy behind development of Russia's nuclear forces, the Interfax and ITAR-Tass news agencies reported.

www.kansascity.com...

The official said the new weapon would be inexpensive, providing an "asymmetric answer" to U.S. missile defenses, which are proving extremely costly to develop. Russia, meanwhile, also has continued research in prospective missile defenses and has an edge in some areas compared to other nations, the official said.

Well this is funny, The US hasn't quite set out everything it is going to do to arm the NMD but Russia already claims to be able to counter it. Peculiar indeed.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
g

[edit on 2004-7-1 by Teknik]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i think he means hypersonic maneuvering warheads.. i read about it, ill try to find more info.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think that it's kind of funny that Russia is bragging about this feat. Aren't we supposed to be allies? or is there just a treaty between us? Nonetheless it's interesting to know that all the money we put into NMD, and it's easily bypassed. The question now is, now that russia has this technology, will they sell it to china?

TPL

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Russia under Putin has been showing off as of late.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To state the obvious; The next real war will be over oil. As the current one is. Russia's breakaway republics happen to have lots of the stuff. China thirst is growing at a large rate. World oil supply has hit the top of the bell curve. We are encircling Russia with troops and weapons. They are feeling a big edgy and thus are trying to flex a bit of muscle so that we don't get the impression that we can roll over them.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is yet another "statement" by Russia; they are not going to put up with # from the United States, and are announcing that they aren't going to back down...and NMD is a joke anyway, it would prove useless if Russia launched first, in any all out nuclear war.

Q

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
ANY all-out nuclear war between the US and Russia would be a lose-lose situation. Both countries, as well as the whole northern hemisphere at very least, would be toast.

I do see the Russians 'being a bit edgy', and I can't really blame them. I don't think we're intentionally encircling them by any means...it just so happens that their former satelites are becoming places of other strategic interest to us, so we're there. I can fully understand their reluctance. Still, I don't think Dubya and Vlad are going to throw away all that time in the pickup truck in Texas away.
They were like a couple of redneck teenagers in Daddy's truck.

Oh! Russia's got a new super-weapon that makes our super-weapon that isn't even fully designed yet useless! *Yawn* Posturing, I think--nothing more. Peter the Great's about to sink or go critical, the rest of the fleet's in comparable shape, neither of the missles they wanted to fire to impress Vlad made it out of the tubes...and we're supposed to be cowed by some top-secret countermeasure to something we don't even have yet? Are you sure this story didn't come from Pravda?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Nuclear war would not beneift either country. Plus why would our goverment give out all it's secrets and capabilities on our defense system. We americans are known for our deception and lying, it would be to our benefit to lie about what we have protecting us.

top topics

join