It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just got sacked - sad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well what does one say ... got called into work to be told the business is closing down.

No-one is spending, cheap goods outta China,India etc .

My employer is a great guy but business ain't a charity and with tears in his eyes and many sleepless nights "a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do"

I am NOT posting for sympathy or pity.

I am posting to share what WILL get me through and that is because some other ATS community members may [godwilling NOT] go through also.

1/ return to core values

2/ treat whatever you get dealt in life as ' the next big Adventure'

3/ think of your children/wife/loved ones

all three bits of advice from ATS members an appreciated.

be strong ATS family ,be honest together.

peace.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I'm sorry, Roo.

I've been through it once this year and I'm facing it again. Two completely different industries, two different geographical areas for company HQ, but the same story....business has fallen off a cliff. No one's spending. At first it was business to business (advertising); that started to go to crap beginning of '08 because companies cut their advertising budgets. I was able to switch gears and hop full time on what had been a part time gig in the restaurant industry...well, now consumers aren't spending. I see that business at the restaurant I work at is down ~40%, maybe more by now, so I'm getting ready to move on before I'm moved on.

Chin up. This can be an opportunity to move into a different field if that's something you've been wanting to do. It's humbling if you have to start over, but humbleness is a good trait for a person to have.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Damn...

Sorry guys.. That blows.

My sympathy to you and your family, but I have faith that you will bounce back...hehehehe didn't mean to pun but imma leave it in!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I can feel for you, I'm on my third week of looking for a new job. I too was laid off due to the bad economy.

I honestly don't expect to find anything before the New Year, even though I'm trying.

I don't let it get me down, can be tough to fill that empty time though.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
sorry to hear that.

I am currently working for a big networking company and they announced cuts too.

I hope you find something new soon, good luck.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thanks for kind words.

Your personal stories are appreciated and much encouragement.

We ARE a smart bunch here on ATS [cheers SO amigoes,mods]

chin up ... love that

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
My job was cut six months ago and for the first time in my life, I'm unemployed for more than a few minutes. I still can't find a job and ya know what? The jobs that several hundred other people and I have applied for remain unfilled, just resubmitted to the Help Wanted ads time and time again. I give up. WTF do they want?

I've been in the workforce for more than 30 years. My experience counts for nothing. My knowledge in general counts for nothing. I should have more precise - not so broad - qualifications in order to meet their needs. Okay... So they want me to have lived my life preparing for the job they have offered at this moment. Does that even make sense to anyone here?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ROO-meh

sorry to hear that mate! i am sure you will find a better prospect job soon. hang in there mate...

just wanted to share with you, though i am having a job now but i am struggling as cost of living is sky rocketing here in KL

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Remember the Chinese proverb-'Crisis brings oppertunity'

My advice-think about what services you can offer peple in your neighbourhood or town.Odd jobs,running errands for the elderly.If they can't pay cash ,barter services-I'll fix your fence if you can fix my leaky tap etc.
Apart from that ,sell what you don't need and contact me for money saving recipies.I'm writing a recession busting recipie book and selling it for a small amount plus a a bit for charity.

Apart from that Roll with it Baby and good luck-sending postive thoughts your way....

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Do not despair Roo. Possibly have a professional resume writer (about 30 to 50 USD) would be wise. Then hit the road, the net, sign up for every job board.

Spend at least 8 hrs a day with determination. Aussies are a tough bunch.
I just know you WILL find something. Get a copier, scanner, fax machine to send out your resumes. Down to about 120 USD now. Getting face to face is always better.

Eye of the tiger mate. Good luck and God bless.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by candyfloss

Remember the Chinese proverb-'Crisis brings oppertunity'

My advice-think about what services you can offer peple in your neighbourhood or town.Odd jobs,running errands for the elderly.If they can't pay cash ,barter services-I'll fix your fence if you can fix my leaky tap etc.
Apart from that ,sell what you don't need and contact me for money saving recipies.I'm writing a recession busting recipie book and selling it for a small amount plus a a bit for charity.

Apart from that Roll with it Baby and good luck-sending postive thoughts your way....
Sorry,i hope I have'nt given the wrong impression I'm not trying to sell you anything .Recipes are free to ATS members !(ha ,ha)Seriously,worst things could happen.JPM's advice is good I think and remeber sometimes things happen out of the blue.I once got a job because someone noticed I had mud on my boots in a bus stop.
So,send your intent out into the universe and wait and see what comes back.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Hmm... find something you like doing and make it into a way to earn money?

I'm young, dumb and full of... stuff though. Take it as a grain of sand

I'm currently considering moving from a stable job into a new one, but I'm waiting to see how badly things will smash into the bottom of the cliff first, not a smart move to jump and not know where i'll land.

I'm sick of getting 35k a year NZD to sit in an office 50 weeks a year 8-5. My life at 21 is NOT worth that, i'd rather work part time and go experience things I want to do while I can (tramping etc) and finish off my commercial pilot licence, not running around like 21 when I've retired with a broken and battered body.
I have lots of debt as well.

Go figure >_>

I'm about as lost as you are in this world. Things down here in NZ are not as bad with jobs as what you seem to be getting though.. damn.

Try something offering a service that's needed and still used even as economy craps out. For example; installing those new free to air sattelite setups etc (currently rolling out in new zealand, not sure about you guys).

Best of luck mate, always remember you will ALWAYS have your family there to support and love you no matter what.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Start your own company/ enterprise on the side as well.

e.g. Alan Sugar (famous UK entrepreneur) started out in his first week by buying fruit and veg wholesale and selling it on at a markup. He made £200 in his first week. In his second week, he took the £200 and bought a small van to transport even more goods. Then he branched out into electronics from china, then his own electronics etc etc etc. He was worth (before the crunch) £800 million.

Capitalise on the skills you have intrinsically and have learnt from your previous job.

Do what interests you and what you are good at.

In short, I agree that crisis = opportunity. This crisis may be the best thing thats ever happened to you. Without this push of redundancy, you may never have made the change to bigger and better things. There is no risk factor, as you have nothing to lose. Get out there and grab what you want from the world!

Good luck in your endevours

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Sorry to hear Roo,

happened to me twice. Try to stay off the dole as long as possible. The CES is too depressing a place. Get right into looking for whatever you get. That keeps ya going. And if all fails. Rob a bank...lol. No!!! Just stay positive and you find something. Good luck to ya mate.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ROO-meh

Sorry to hear about yours and other's job losses. I know exactly how you feel. I've been in your position twice in the past year or so;

first employer was deep in debt, and being unable to continue borrowing their way out of it due to the credit crisis, they folded.

Second employer was taken over by a big company, and when the going started to get tough for them, the big company decided to shut down all the smaller aquired companies and absorb their business. What got me was that we were making money; the parent company shut us, a profit making company down becasue they were in trouble.

The good thing that comes out of it, is that it makes you stronger and braver. You realise that as one door closes, another opens.
Myself and some colleagues, after being laid off, decided to set up our own company. We're not earning as much as before, but with very few overheads etc, we are in a much better position to weather the downturn, and eventually reap the rewards when the economy recovers.

Would it be possible to get together with some of your colleauges, and do what you were doing, on a smaller scale?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Genuinely sorry to hear this.

Good luck for the future.

sty

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I am sorry for all of you that lost jobs, guys. My job seem to be going on still, but I do not thrust it (Telecom - administration) and this is why me and my wife we already prepare for the recession. This week-end we will move flats, to something smaller and cheaper to run. Then we have to re-organise our budget and start saving for the days to come... our aim is to downsize our expenses in such what that we could survive with one job instead two jobs...for the people that still have a job- try to save equivlent of 6 months of expenses...

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Very sad deal most of my friends are in construction trade as contractors and applicators a lot have been sitting at home,yes possibly self employment,I was unfortunate to grow up speaking my mind rather then biting my tongue,so after being fired a few times I figured I knew more or as much as them,worked out great for me,and amazingly enough finally the boss was always right

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I just found this. It gave me some hope. There must be a flippin' pot o' gold waiting for me soon with all the bad luck I've had for the past year.

Yin and Yang

Please do watch this and take it to heart. I know this is how things work, it's just so hard to remember after being down and kicked time and time again for so long. This year has been one for the books.

top topics

join