It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should You Flag Your Own Thread?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Here's an interesting question I've pondered a bit since I began posting threads recently. But first, as you'll notice, I signed up on the first day of July, nearly four months ago. And, since then, I've immersed myself in so much of what ATS has to offer. Conspiracy discussions, alternative [i.e. out of the mainstream] education, a forum to hash out one's beliefs, and several laughs along the way.

Anyhow, my question is this:

do you flag your own thread?

I suppose the ethics of this issue are entirely up to the individual. Is it simply an OP doing whatever possible to get the thread some attention amid all the heavy ATS traffic. OR, is it shameless self-promotion, ignoring the fact that a well-thought-out thread will generally get plenty of action...in other words, let the market decide.

I'm obviously curious as to what you good people will say on this one.

Oh, and feel free to flag this thread!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well....I don't know the exact "manners" in this particular area...but you know what? You want other people to Flag the Thread because it's obviously something that you feel is important - and should have attention drawn to....

So if Flags draw attention to the thread - the thread you birthed - why wouldn't you Flag you?

If you were Running in some kind of Election - City Election - and you have the right to vote...Who do you vote for? You or the other guy? You would vote for yourself wouldn't you?

Perhaps Flagging is the same...

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have only flagged a couple of my own threads. It isn't something that I like to do.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

You make a great point. Reminds me of something I saw on American television last night, where the commentator was discussing endorsements that Sen. Obama's received from those on the "other side of the aisle", i.e. the "other" party. The guy's got so much momentum right now, the talking head said that, at this point, he'd only be impressed if McCain endorsed Obama.

I'm still up in the air about this. Thank you for the input, CA!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I have only flagged a couple of my own threads. It isn't something that I like to do.

What is it that keeps you from doing so, KH?

I've got my reasons, however up for revision they may be. But I'm wondering about those of others who don't tend to flag their own material.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As Karl said, he's only flagged a few of his own threads - I have also done this.

There are some threads we obviously feel more strongly about - some with better content, some that deserve a ton of attention...

It's all relative to how you feel about the particular thread. If you FEEL that the thread deserves more attention - they Flag it. If you don't feel so well about it, or its nothing really "Breaking News" then don't...

Its personal preference I think..

- Carrot

[edit on 10/30/2008 by CA_Orot]

link   
Apparently, threads/posts on this board don't show up on the all-important "Recent Posts". See, as hesitant as I am to flag my own thread, I still enjoy seeing my thread get visitors, comments, etc. After all, isn' that a big part of the point?

MODS, this seems like a relevant thread to many more than will otherwise see this buried in this board. Granted, I put it here; however, knowing what I know now, is there a way to get this some more action by moving it elsewhere?

Just shooting free throws here...

link   
Hey, I didn't even know that you could flag your own thread!
Got to go, have some flagging to do.

(But seriously, I think it would be kind of... well, tacky to flag yourself. But if others do it, that's fine with me. None of my business, really.)

link   
There's absolutely nothing wrong with flagging your own thread. Flag it, or not, as you see fit. If it was a bad thing, you wouldn't be able to do it. You may (or not) have noticed, you can't "star" your own posts.

Frequently, a thread will be flagged for the overall content rather than just the opening post. A flag is as much a testament to the thread itself and all the participants therein as is is only about the thread starter.

Of course, kudos to the thread starter for originating a topic that garners attention and conversation, but it's the participation that really makes a thread flag worthy. IMO.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't think it is appropriate to flag one's own thread. Seems kind of self serving . . . if your peers believe it merits a flag, let them do it.

You tacitly announce your feelings on the importance and relevance of a topic simply by starting the thread.

Having said that, if others believe differently, that's their business so flag where you will.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I only flag my thread if someone else does it first.

I feel that if its important enough for someone else to flag, then its important enough for me to flag

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
For Clarification: To OZ! Haha

Oooh That is a good policy!!!!

I would have starred your post - but....theres no stars

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
Oooh That is a good policy!!!!

I would have starred your post - but....theres no stars

- Carrot

If it was me you were talking to, you could start by er.....ummm...flagging my threads

j/king

[edit on 30/10/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Flagged: 379 times

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses, team. Obviously, I deem it inappropriate to flag my own thread. As has been stated more than once in this thread, it is ultimately up to the individual. Like literally everything else in life.

Now, to quote Dave Rabbit: "Flag this mutha!" Or, don't. I still love you, ATSers.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I am really anxious to have others read my thread if I flag it first. Sometimes it helps bring others in that may want to discuss the issue or add to it, other times it is the only flag you get even though the thread takes off in discussion. I always feel a bit embarrased to start my ow flagging.

I would never flag my own short story... Ok once on my first submission.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I never flag my thread in public.

Seriously, I don't flag my threads but like YR said, if it's available then it's a matter of choice.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I only Flag threads of mine I agree with.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

That must be exhausting.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I only Flag threads of mine I agree with.

I bet your left mouse button doesnt work very good now, does it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join