It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholesterol Theory Wipes Out Human Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The following "Press Release" parody imagines a time in the not-too-distant fulture when humanity dies out from following the cholesterol theory of heart disease.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHOLESTEROL THEORY WIPES OUT HUMAN RACE

PLANET EARTH, April 9, 2057 - A faulty theory on the origin and cause of heart disease, introduced on Planet Earth 100 years prior to this date, has caused the demise of the human race, according to a Pleiadean delegation report. The theory led to food choices that proved lethal to humans over several generations.

www.diabetes-book.com...

While this article is meant as a parody, it may actually come to fruition. I thought ATS was fitting place for the article with mention of the "Pleiadean Delegation" and such.

Unfortunately, most of the information, other than the forecasting, is fact and based on leading research in the field.

Conventional Wisdom: Lipid Hypothesis

Leading Research: Weston A. Price Foundation

Will this "Press Release" parody become our fate? You decide!

-Dev

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
the most telling aspect of this lipid hypothesis is the continual lowring of threshold values. no suprise really, because today's ideology revolves around more of the same at increased pace.

maybe the whole scam eill collapse along with global warming and the big bang. call me a quaint optimist if you wish.

PS: nevermind that cholesterol is produced by the body - i've learned soon enough that people won't let facts get in the way of business, though.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure I understood that correctly. You do or don't support the Lipid Hypothesis?

I've been reading a book by Dr. Michael Eades. I believe it was published in 1996 and in it, Dr. Eades suggests that the only way dietary fat or cholesterol will raise serum cholesterol is if the meal is accompanied by carbs. Why? Because eating carbs leads to elevated insulin levels and without insulin the body won't manufacture cholesterol from fat.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have always found it interesting to note, that in the early studies of the efficacy of lowering cholesterol, the test group, although having a slightly lower mortality rate due to coronary events, actually had a higher mortality rate due to other causes. If you're dead, what difference does it make what killed you? I mean, so I'm going to lower my cholesterol and reduce my chances of a heart attack but increase my chances of dying of something else. Wow! That's really great .. isn't it?

And here we go:

The commonly-held belief that the best diet for the prevention of coronary heart disease is a low saturated fat, low cholesterol is not supported by the available evidence from clinical trials. In the primary prevention, such diets do not reduce the risk of myocardial infarction or coronary or all cause mortality.
Source

Umm... OOPS!

Okay .. so .. drug therapy is the answer .. right?

Sixteen million Americans now take Lipitor, the most popular statin, and drug company officials claim that 36 million Americans are candidates for statin drug therapy. What bedevils the industry is growing reports of side effects that manifest many months after the commencement of therapy; the November 2003 issue of Smart Money magazine reports on a 1999 study at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London (apparently unpublished), which found that 36 percent of patients on Lipitor’s highest dose reported side effects; even at the lowest dose, 10 percent reported side effects.
Source

And these side effects are not minor stuff like headaches or nausea, either. We have:

• Muscle pain and weakness (rhabdomyolysis)
  • Neuropathy (weakness, tingling and pain in the hands and feet as well as difficulty walking)
  • Heart failure
  • Dizziness
  • Cognitive Impairment
  • Cancer
  • Pancreatic Rot (necrotizing pancreatitis)
  • Depression

Hmmmm. OOPS again?

Well how about this interesting little factoid:

"Low cholesterol showed significant associations with death from cancer, liver diseases, and mental diseases."
Source

or this one:

Class Action - Statins Increases Heart Disease By 10% In Women "...women who are taking Lipitor without heart disease actually developed 10 percent more heart attacks than women treated with a placebo."
Source

Dang .. that's gotta be rough on the bottom line.

Okay, you're right .. I know this isn't funny. People are dying here and stuff.

But maybe .. just maybe .. the sarcasm will bite you hard enough to make you wake up and think!! Your doctors do NOT know what the heck they are doing, and some of their advice will make you sicker or more likely to die instead of helping you be healthy.

When are you going to take responsibility for your own health, do some research, and make decisions for yourself to increase your health and prolong your life?

(If you already have, please feel free to ignore my ranting.)

Cholesterol is not your enemy.
Low-fat diets and statin drugs are not your friends.
In fact, vegetable oils and margarines are NASTY and studies are now showing that butter, olive oil, and coconut oil are better for you.

Go check out the Weston A. Price foundation that Devo linked you to in the OP. You could learn a lot of uncomfortable truths from them, but you might have to change your lifestyle and fire your doctor. Decisions, decisions.

Great thread, Devo!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Thank you.

I love your replies.

Look, the point of the article is this: Avoiding fats, to decrease cholesterol, increases carbohydrate intake.

Pop quiz: What is the main cause of obesisty?

-Dev

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
I'm not sure I understood that correctly. You do or don't support the Lipid Hypothesis?

I've been reading a book by Dr. Michael Eades. I believe it was published in 1996 and in it, Dr. Eades suggests that the only way dietary fat or cholesterol will raise serum cholesterol is if the meal is accompanied by carbs. Why? Because eating carbs leads to elevated insulin levels and without insulin the body won't manufacture cholesterol from fat.

-Dev

i don't support it, along with many other trendy scares and scams....

all these extreme viewpoints are probably not founded in reality. if things are taken to extremes, chances are they're not really very effective, just like the cholesterol-free diet.

PS: i wonder how people are supposed to obtain enough fat soluble vitamins without fat intake, among other things

[edit on 2008.10.31 by Long Lance]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If you only eat food from plants.
You will not have high cholesterol.
Except for a 13.45% mean group of genetically inherent hypercholesterolemia.
But that is extremelly boring and turns you into a complete retard.
Why don't you want to die?We all do....
Come join everyone over on the other side where its more fun.
Where you can eat hamburgers all day play computer games and not get fat!
The other side has to be soooooooooo much better.
Why prolong misery here.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Look, the point of the article is this: Avoiding fats, to decrease cholesterol, increases carbohydrate intake.

Yeah I got that, but I have a couple of problems with it:

1. Avoiding dietary fats has not been shown to reduce cholesterol.
2. Low cholesterol is now being linked to increased mortality rates from causes other than CHD.

Pop quiz: What is the main cause of obesisty?

Well, that all depends on who you listen to, doesn't it? Candidates include:

• Insulin resistance
  • Leptin resistance or deficiency
  • Inactivity
  • Excess carbohydrate consumption (especially refined carbohydrates)
  • Excess consumption of saturated fats
  • Stress and poor nutrition
  • Genetic predispostion
  • Metabolic syndrome
  • Hypothyroidism
  • All the above!

Which one are you voting for, Devo?

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Heike]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Yeah I got that, but I have a couple of problems with it:

1. Avoiding dietary fats has not been shown to reduce cholesterol.
2. Low cholesterol is now being linked to increased mortality rates from causes other than CHD.

Oh, maybe I was misleading, or drinking
. I agree with your original post as well as your follow up. The point I was making is that if you avoid those dietary fats you will have to increase carb intake to compensate for lost calories. Increased carbs leads to hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance.

Well, that all depends on who you listen to, doesn't it? Candidates include:

• Insulin resistance
  • Leptin resistance or deficiency
  • Inactivity
  • Excess carbohydrate consumption (especially refined carbohydrates)
  • Excess consumption of saturated fats
  • Stress and poor nutrition
  • Genetic predispostion
  • Metabolic syndrome
  • Hypothyroidism
  • All the above!

Which one are you voting for, Devo?

I cast a write in. Hyperinsulinemia is the main cause of obesity. At least 5 of the list above either cause or are caused by hyperinsulinemia.

I wouldn't put saturated fats in the last at all though. If your body is not flooded with insulin you'll burn those fats as energy, efficiently. Controlling metabolic hormones, Glucagon and Insulin, is the key to fat loss.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I wouldn't put saturated fats in the list at all though.

It's a good thing we like each other, as much as we miscommunicate.

I didn't mean to suggest that I agree with all of the items on the list, just that some "expert" has suggested each of them as being a cause of obesity. The thing it suggests to me is that somebody has to be wrong, as it would be impossible for all of the things on the list to be correct!

We're back to "who do you listen to?", because so many of the so-called "experts" contradict each other. No wonder the public is confused and frustrated ... (and overweight).

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
....Wait, you like me?

It does come down to who you get your information from. I believe that most so called "experts" are wrong. Now, doctors and nutritionists/trainers that get results typicaly agree. Those are the ones that know what they're talking about.

As far as the list goes, most of them are right. But most of them are also connected to one problem. Hyperinsulinemia!

-Dev

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
When I was told by my doctor that I should be taking statins I research and research on the matter.

I learn a lot, I still will not take them.

Cholesterol is produced by the body and is important for the proper maintenance of brain health.

Statin, no only damage the liver and its cholesterol production but when it targets muscle the hart become a target too.

Statin are more dangerous to the body that Cholesterol will ever be.

And statin can not prevent hart attacks either.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I have been on Questran, Mevacor, Lipitor, Crestor, and I think about three others since I was 12 years old. I can honestly say that they have this whole thing wrong.

My cholesterol actually lowered when I stopped eating carbs (accept for morning oatmeal)

My morning breakfast was wheat bread or wheat bagel with margarine a glass of orange juice and a cup of coffee with cream and sugar....(Total Chol: 339 with crestor)

My morning breakfast now is two eggs cooked in butter with either vegetables or salsa and a glass of green tea and a half serving of real oatmeal and blueberries. (Total Chol: 179 without crestor added fish oil) and my LDL's are great.

I read a book written by Dr. Asa Andrew www.asaandrew.com

and it is amazing what he says about true nutrients and what we really should be eating.

Warning: He is kinda religious and it comes out on a couple pages but it is well worth the read.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Sorry, I just opened the link you gave, and that picture had me rolling.

I have been on Questran, Mevacor, Lipitor, Crestor, and I think about three others since I was 12 years old. I can honestly say that they have this whole thing wrong.

That's scary! Are you off of them now?

-Dev

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Statins cause congestive heart failure. Those guys ain't dumb (big pharma).

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It's very interesting how statins work.

The body actually manufatures most of the cholesterol, with maybe less than 20% coming from the diet. I'll skip the details and just sum it up. When a cell in the body needs cholesterol it can two things; A) Manufacture it inside the cell itself, or B) Retrieve it from the blood where it is transported by LDL. The cell in need of cholesterol will activate both activities until cholesterol levels are sufficient. If one of these activities doesn't work properly, the other will pick up the slack.

We'll come back to that, so don't forget it! Scientists found that increasing the receptors outside of the cell that retrieve LDL from the blood actually decreases LDL in the blood. This is a good thing as LDL is the "bad" cholesterol. These scientists developed a drug that inhibits enzyme HMG-CoA reductase which is what produces cholesterol in cells.

So when taking a Statin, the cells are forced to retrieve LDL from the bloodstream instead of manufacturing it. Guess what? There is a natural way of doing this exact same thing without the side effects and with better, faster results. It's called a Low-Carb Diet!

By eating a low-carb diet, insulin levels are kept low while glucagon levels are kept higher. Why does this matter? Glucagon has the exact same effect that enzyme HMG-CoA reductase has on cells. It inhibits cholesterol production from within the cell and forces it to retrieve LDL from the blood. This, in turn, improves cholesterol levels in weeks, even while eating eggs, red meat and any other fat or cholesterol rich food.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

join