It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long until they admit to life on Mars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Methane poses Mars life puzzle

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor

Methane has been found in the Martian atmosphere which scientists say could be a sign of present-day life on Mars.

Is there life beneath the soil?
It was detected by telescopes on Earth and has recently been confirmed by instruments onboard the European Space Agency's orbiting Mars Express craft.

Methane lives for a short time in the Martian atmosphere so it must be being constantly replenished.

There are two possible ways to do this. Either active volcanoes, but none have yet been found on Mars, or microbes.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So... how long until they admit to life being on mars. They are hiding something and they have been for a long time. So any predictions as to when they drop the words "life on Mars"?

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm very hopeful that it is some form of life on Mars and not just an active volcano that we have not yet discovered. As for when they admit to it, it will probably be quite a while. Our government is very secretive when it comes to aliens. Quite a touchy subject for them.

jra

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'm sure they (NASA, ESA or who ever) will say there is life on Mars when they discover some. I don't see why they would hide it since they always seem to theorize about life on Mars and what not.

About the volcanoes on Mars. It has been thought that they are still active, at least some might.

www.space.com...

This next one says right in the first paragraph:

Two of the oldest volcanoes on Mars, which have been active for 3.5 billion years...

But i'm sure how good accurate the site is.
www.sciencedaily.com...

And then there is this CNN article i also came across.
www.cnn.com...

So who knows. Perhaps the volcanoes are still active in some way and giving off some methane.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra
I'm sure they (NASA, ESA or who ever) will say there is life on Mars when they discover some. I don't see why they would hide it since they always seem to theorize about life on Mars and what not.

About the volcanoes on Mars. It has been thought that they are still active, at least some might.

www.space.com...

This next one says right in the first paragraph:

Two of the oldest volcanoes on Mars, which have been active for 3.5 billion years...

But i'm sure how good accurate the site is.
www.sciencedaily.com...

And then there is this CNN article i also came across.
www.cnn.com...

So who knows. Perhaps the volcanoes are still active in some way and giving off some methane.

jra... ever heard of or seen the Alternative 3 video? More importantly the landing on mars part of the video?

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

jra... ever heard of or seen the Alternative 3 video? More importantly the landing on mars part of the video?

Oh, jra, don't waste your time with that if you haven't seen it.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
ever watch total recall? it's probably an underground civilization with a system of tunnels. But seriously, I'm guess maybe it's an active volcano venting methane. But the thought of potential life on mars, is interesting nonetheless, and I as well as anyone else, hope there there is life on mars, I don't care if it's just waterbears or moss, just as long as their some form of life there.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think is nearly here!

www.bbc.co.uk...

Mars may not be lifeless, say scientists

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yeah, I think they will admit it as soon as they find it. But any conspiracy blinded person can't handle a mundane and boring answer. They must have some vast conspiracy which involves a secret cabal of individuals keeping knowledge from them in order to maintain some power, lol.

Sorry conspiracy people, but sometimes life is boring, and things are what they are. I know right? How boring. There are tons and tons of articles written by very smart people talking about potential life on mars, specifically because we have found several potential indicators. But we have no concrete evidence to prove there is life there. And trust me, NASA would like nothing more than to announce it, think of the budget increase they would get!!!!

The only thing that pisses me off is how NASA is going about exploring it. The probes and buggies they are sending up there couldn't detect life unless is walked up and waved at on of the cameras. Since it is very reasonable to assume that there isn't any complex life on Mars, so the camera thing isn't going to happen, lol.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by IgnoreTheFacts]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wait for ESA and Phobos this month! ;-)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cybernet
Wait for ESA and Phobos this month! ;-)

Phobos?

We are here and wait, friend...

Take a look at this
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Lifeless? I think not. Far from it I would say.
Here's a hint for most photos etc flip them.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Lifeless? I think not. Far from it I would say.
Here's a hint for most photos etc flip them.

Did you get that information from Mr Escamillia? I would be carefull believing anything that comes out of his documentries.

It's real easy for him to say that they flip the images, but this is actually false.

Mars has no "sentient" life. It's almost impossible considering the condition of the atmosphere as well as the terrain/resource availability.

I would assume there is microbacterial life, perhaps some ancient ruins of civilizations past. But current life? Probably not.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I believe NASA will reveal the existence of life on Mars , but just try and manage the announcement by saying it may of been taken there by by past Mars missions .
Anyway they probably know there's life on Mars thanks to the tests done by the Viking landers , maybe

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There is a decent chance of micro-organisms living within the permafrost beneath the surface of Mars.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I hope there isn't life on Mars. That would put the kibosh on any plans to terraform the Red Planet.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Better for NASA (and for all of us) to admit soon that: "Yes! There is microbial life on Mars!".
Little steps before the flood...

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Arken]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Better for NASA (and for all of us) to admit soon that: "Yes! There is microbial life on Mars!".
Little steps before the flood...

I suppose first NASA would need to have a confirmation of life on Mars before they could 'admit' it.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

My personal take on life on Mars (all be it microbial), is yes there may well be under the surface of the red planet, but it's a bit more complex than either microbes or volcano's, check this article from the ESA it explains a few ways the methane could present on Mars..

An alternative explanation is that the methane is geological in origin. It could be produced, for example, by the oxidation of iron, similar to what occurs in terrestrial hot springs, or in active volcanoes. This gas could have been trapped in solid forms of water, or 'cages', that can preserve methane of ancient origin for a long time.

sci.esa.int...

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Majestic RNA]

new topics

top topics

join