It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film: Idiocracy - Comedy or Prophesy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Whilst reading another thread on this forum called: Is ATS Proof of the Dumbing Down of America? I was reminded of the film 'Idiocracy'. Is it just a comedy or is it prophetic? We have similar dumbing down concerns here in the UK and I guess in much of the western world.

My take on it is that Idiocracy is (possibly unintentionally) prophetic and one of the most important films of our times. Perhaps I should get out more, but I found it highly thought provoking.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

Scro, I think it depends on your views, but I see it as both. I will say that if President Comacho was running in '08 I would seriously consider him. Clearly, he has a plan.

Great movie! Thanks.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
LOL! It would certainly make the White House an interesting place! Thanks for adding the clip.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
When I first watched Idiocracy it made me laugh out loud and scared the hell out of me at the same time. It surely seems sometimes that the world is rushing headlong into stupidity as quickly as we can get there. Upon further reflection though it seems to me that a slightly different future is in store for us.

I wonder if perhaps the human species might not split in two. If you think of it - in the Idiocracy scenario as the general population gets dumber - there will still be the occasional smart person born. Such a person might well not wish to marry and have children with most of the idiots by which they will be surrounded. The smart people will tend to marry each other and will produce smart children. Such people would tend to be scarce, but I doubt they would disappear from the earth completely.

If we do somehow evolve into two "types" of humans (smarts and dumbs for want of better titles), then how long would it be until there was so little in common with the two groups that they are essentially separate species entirely?

Oh and ColoradoJens - I agree. Let's get president Camacho as soon as we can find him.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by total_slacker]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Neither.

It's reality.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

- Dr Lexus
-

That guy who was claiming to be from the future but couldn't even get an accurate year for his birthdate made me think about this movie

Maybe he really was from there and he was like the people from the movie hehe.

Anyway, didn't the Bush administration lowered the funds for education? :O I'm not American but I study in Florida State University and in a Community College as well, and let me tell u there are many people really mentally ill... like those you can find in Walmart and people of my age (21) just focus in getting laid/drunk.
And one of my ex-girlfriends that that 'like' syndrom... you know, saying 'like' every 2 or 3 words

Anyway I love my University but I have what, 8 hours of class a week

-edit-
And about my English, I'm not American so don't laugh

[edit on 27-10-2008 by aNdReSk]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'd say that the movie is more metaphorical, than an actual prediction. Still though, there is a real message in the movie that should be heeded. I happen to own the movie on dvd.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by tmbandt]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think the movie, much like a lot of things out of Hollywood, is an elitist sponsored statement of intent and also part of a memetic warfare operation of culture creation. Think about it, you've been pavlovianly conditioned to see the dumbing down of the nation as something funny and "predicted", when in reality it is neither, it is sad and by design.

As Terrence McKenna once said and I have often quoted: Culture is not your friend

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

Have you read "The Time Machine" by HG Wells. This is the subject matter of his book: The human race splitting in 2.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
either way, its still a great movie. one of my faves.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

On the contrary, I find the whole subject of dumbing down scary in that it's evidence of devolution rather than evolution. The film serves as a warning. What we do about it however is difficult to answer.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
the answer was given in the movie! it was very lisa simpsonesque. read books! challenge your brain! learn! expand your horizons!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by governmentsecrets
the answer was given in the movie! it was very lisa simpsonesque. read books! challenge your brain! learn! expand your horizons!

Agreed! The problem is that there are more and more people unwilling or unable to do so. How long before 'Ow My Balls' is considered to be high culture?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

I really do not mean this as a joke but is this film set in such a different world from ours?

We do not put juice on plants just yet but god the things we do I am sure my ancestors are rolling in there graves to say the least and that goes for many more.

We also seem to put up with anything the TV tells us as well which matches the film.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Well, no it's not set in a world much different from ours, I think that's the point - the dumber society gets the less invention occurs and each generation inherits a society largely unchanged from the previous generation. We've a way to go before we reach that state, but the journey's begun.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It is a truly sad state of affairs but although I want to disagree I really cannot without slapping myself when blindfolded. I am not in the practice of that just yet.

It does make sense in the term that every new generation feels even more lost though. Makes me wonder if centuries of wrong make a right?

Only centuries will tell though?

You seem like a bit of a lost soul like myself.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I don't know about a lost soul, but I'm getting getting increaingly pessimistic about the future for many different reasons. Which is a shame because I'm quite positive by nature.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Likewise.

I posted a thread tonight just to reflect on my thoughts that you have already participated in.

It is really dire right now though and I fear we are going to repeat our major histories once again.

Through people I have met a few years ago to say the least.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
How true. The lessons of history are rarely learned and the mistakes are repeated. Dumbing down will ensure that this continues to be the case.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
While it could be considered something that could happen, in Idiocracy there was no NWO or anything, just that the dumb ones bred like rabbits while the smart ones thought they were not ready for kids yet ;D

The Scientists then were making advancements in hair, beauty and etc, instead of military and etc.

I absolutely loved that movie by the way, but I don't think there is ANY chance of that happening lol.

Still, people are increasingly becoming reliant on technology and etc these days. We used to have to grow our own food, and now one can just walk down the street and buy everything they could ever want.

So actually in that respect, we have been dumbed down in a sense since most of us probably have no clue of how to raise cattle, grow crops, or even have fun without the use of a TV, or computer and etc

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join