It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My son got HURT last night DOCTOR said FLOURIDE would NOT HAVE HELPED!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
So my 11 month old was playing with his activity table last night when he slipped and caught his mouth on the corner of the toy. His front tooth came OUT! I was so upset and crying when we got to the ER. He eventually calmed down when we got there. We were in the ER talking to the DR. when he asked me if we were giving him vitamins. I told him we were. He asked what kind and I told him Prosobe. He asked if they were fluoridated and I told him they were not. I then asked him if we were giving him the fluoridated vitamins if his tooth would not have come out and he shook his head no and said it would not have made a difference at all.. So, my question is. why do they give babies fluoridated vitamins if they DO NOT make their teeth stronger like the ADA says they do??? I was kinda floored that he was honest about it. Usually they stick together with their stories about fluoride and teeth.. Very odd.

My son is okay. No swelling or pain at all, which I find very odd. But, I am happy that he is not feeling anything. Thanks for reading this. I thought it was very odd and kinda proves everything people say about fluoride.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I think it is supposed to help with the integrity of the tooth itself, not with how well it is seated in your mouth. Meaning, if you take fluoride you will be less likely to get a cavity or chip a tooth than someone who does not. Knocking a tooth out would be a different story.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yes, flouride is supposed to help the enamel of the tooth.
As far as I know, it's NOT good for bones or root strength.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about the youngin, I have no idea why they use flouride at all, I grew up with rain water my whole life, I'm now 26 and have never had a dental problem. I recently went to a new dentist and he was amazed by how healthy my teeth were.

Just goes to show really, flouride = no benefit to teeth.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
From what I've read flouride while it may make the teeth stronger it also makes them more brittle.

I suppose the question is is the trade off worth it personally I'd rather avoid it and it should never have been put into any water supplys in my opinion.

Granted a lot of what I read is probably biased but I'd rather not risk it.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I just know what I was told through my life about how fluoride is good. I remember this video we had to watch in 3rd grade. Timmy the tooth or something like that. It was all about fluoride and how if you lose a tooth to put it in milk and bring it to the dentist so they can put it back. They tried that to, but it was hurting him so much when she was pushing it up into the hole. So I told her to stop. Its just a baby tooth after all. He will get another one. I was just surprised to hear a medical doctor pretty much dismiss the benefits of fluoride.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
First, seriously you tied up the people in the ER for a missing tooth? Seriously, I'm sure there were more important things the ER could have been doing.

Second, yes the above posters are correct, flouride does not help a tooth stay in. It prevents tooth decay. Which, is probably not something an 11 month old has to worry about.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by LogicalExplanation]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

The lil one will be fine my middle son did the samething but on a coffee table.( he just turned 14) It actually heals really fast. His permanent teeth came in just fine. But I must say when the pediatrition found out they wanted me to give him flouride drops twice a day. I did it once and got a real bad feeling and stuck to my gut and didnt give any of my children them.I am now so glad I did!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
flouride collects in the pineal gland.

nuff said.

edit to add a link
www.newmediaexplorer.org...

[edit on 27/10/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LogicalExplanation

Yes, I did bring my son to the ER for a tooth that was knocked out. Do you have children?? Do you know that if trauma is caused to the teeth that it could also affect their jaw, maybe even injure it?? Do you know that if you hit your head hard enough that you can get a concussion?? I'm assuming you do not have children based on your smug remark.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thanks Acidtastic
I knew about the problems it causes, but I didn't know about the pineal gland.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Fluoride will not affect the root of the tooth nor how well its seated in the bone of the jaw. All that it does is add to the protective (white) area at the top of the tooth called the enamel. See below:

Photo From: Healthy Tooth

Now that photo is of an Adult Permanent Tooth, a Baby Tooth does not have the "fork-like" long roots, as the adult tooth is below it. Therefore, it is rooted in the mouth even weaker then the permanent tooth is, allowing it to be knocked out easier. I don't think that it is possible to replace a baby tooth once it has fallen out, as the permanent tooth below it is filling the area of the root. Baby teeth fall out naturally, and it might have been getting loose, and ready to fall out on its own already.

There are some deficiencies, bacteria, and chemicals that can cause a person to lose bone material in the socket which holds the tooth in place. This is why a dental hygienist will measure the depth around the tooth with a probe, looking for pockets where there is bone loss. This is something that a dentists will tell you about though, not a doctor in the ER. One thing that I know can cause bone loss is the bacteria in built up tartar, which should be removed through regular cleaning, brushing, and especially using dental floss. Fluoride should not cause the tooth to loosen, however getting excessive amounts of fluoride can cause other problems associated with Fluoride Poisoning. You pretty much have to be drinking mouthwash and eating toothpaste to have this happen though.

Anyway, ignore those picking on you about going to the ER, its not a big deal, and it happens often, especially with first time parents.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
Yes, I did bring my son to the ER for a tooth that was knocked out.

I wonder how many people with real emergencies had to wait longer and suffer.

Do you know that if trauma is caused to the teeth that it could also affect their jaw, maybe even injure it??

It's a baby tooth. He is 11 months old. It's supposed to come out soon any way.

Originally posted by KaginDDo you know that if you hit your head hard enough that you can get a concussion??

Well did he get a concussion? You can usually tell when it happens .

I'm assuming you do not have children based on your smug remark.

That's not really relevant.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Read this, check it out on your own and then tell every young mother you know about what you have found. fluoride.ecobytes.net...

Also watch this. www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I remember having one of my baby front teeth fall out when my brother hit me in the mouth with a toy lawnmower. I also lost a canine when he pulled a blanket out of my mouth, and knocked out one of my sister's teeth when I accidentally kicked her.

I don't know a lot about dentistry but I think that since baby teeth are "disposible," they are much more prone to come out if they are hit or pulled suddenly, since they are supposed to fall out in the end. Especially if he's around the age where he would loose them anyway.

Maybe that's what the doctor was meaning?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LogicalExplanation

Actually, its good that she took him in if she was not sure, far better then being negligent. The hospital triages people according to their level of damage, so on one in dire need would have been seen after her anyway. Severe blunt head trauma to a young child, with enough force to knock out a tooth, is nothing to mess with if someone is inexperienced medically. There could have been damage to the neck, bruising/swelling of the brain, or even internal hemorrhaging within the cranium. Children have died from severe blunt impact to the cranium.

Blunt Force Trauma to the Brain
The brain can be damaged by trauma in two ways. When the head is struck by a hard object the cerebral cortex (gray matter) can become bruised. If the force of the blow is sufficient to cause a whiplash like circumstance then the injury can occur to the nerve cells (axonal injury) deep in the white matter of the brain. Injury of this type involves a variety of forces including the acceleration of the object and the acceleration force imparted to the brain by the object. Injury results from the direct contact between the object and the head and the greatest injury to the head occurs from the initial direct impact with the blunt object. The area of contact may be large (a baseball bat, 2x4) or small (hammer head, a paper weight) but the velocity of the impact will largely determine the extent and type of damage caused by the resulting blow.

The cranium, the complex structure of bones that encloses and protects the brain, is composed of three layers; the outer table (hard outer layer of bone), the inner table (inner layer of hard bone), and the diploe or spongy bone layer between the two.

When the blunt object comes into contact with the bones of the human skull several reactions are possible. A piece of bone may break loose from the skull and be forced into the cranium with concentric fractures forming around the break area. This bone fragment or plug as it is called often takes on the approximate shape of the object itself. Another reaction is where the object causes an inward bending of the skull resulting in crushing of the outer table and diploe with fractures radiating outwards. In this case the inner table is left untouched by the blow. A blow can also cause a situation where there is both inward and outward bending of the skull structures. In this case, the inner table as well as the outer table and diploe are all shattered. Radiating fractures spread outward from the impact site.

The folks who tie up emergency rooms are those without insurance who treat it like its the local walk in doctors clinic, because they know they can get free care there. Mainly these are people in this country illegally to begin with.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Fluoride will combine with the natural enamel in teeth and create a coating of fluoridated enamel that is more resistant to acidity (pH) than enamel alone. If memory serves, the increase in chemical 'hardness' is on the order of less than 1 pH point maximum. Also, the chemical reaction is very slow, so it requires a literal lifetime to get the full 'advantage' of the fluoridation. Most of the fluoride does not even combine with the teeth, but is instead swallowed.

Fluoride in excess amounts in the body can lead to a weakening of the bone structure. That bone structure would be much more applicable to the root system of the teeth than the enamel 'hardening' effect. You might want to read up on Dental Fluorosis (Wiki link, but chick on some of the references at the bottom of the page for more data).

Your tax dollars at work, making sure you drink sufficient amounts of poison in order to maintain a whiter smile...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
And your son only being 11 months might have played into it too.
His gums may still be very soft and the teeth are not in tight.

At least he has another set coming!

So do they replace it or just wait?

happy healing to the little guy! You must of been scared.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't see why people are jumping up and down about going to the Emergency room, there are a number of factors as to why you would go there. Doctors surgeries a usually 9-5 what happens if you need a doctor after 5? go to the ER.

Now once you're in the ER you usually get a quick assessment of whats wrong then get placed in a queue, the nurses decide who is a priority. So don't say that crap about holding up 'real' emergencies because they wouldn't have.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I just bought him to the pediatric dentist. He was great! The baby is fine, just lost a tooth. He did tell me that he does not recommend fluoridated water or vitamins. He put a little drop of fluoride cream on his finger a bit bigger then the tip of a sewing needle and said that that little bit, is to much. He also told me that our water in this town is not treated with fluoride, which was surprising to me. Thanks to all the people that gave a constructive opinion. Its greatly appreciated

<<   2 >>

join