It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My son got HURT last night DOCTOR said FLOURIDE would NOT HAVE HELPED!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Just a comment to your generally accurate description of the mechanism by which flouride "hardens" the teeth. You should remember that since pH is a logarithmic scale - a decrease of one pH point represents a tenfold increase in the concentration of the hydrogen ions in the saliva. This is not an insignificant difference.

Whether the benefits to the teeth outweigh the toxic effects of flouride in the body generally are debatable. On the other hand its benefit for the teeth seems to me to be pretty clear and undeniable.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I avoid Flouride as much as possible, whenever I use a flouride toothpaste....I end up with mouth ulcers.Even had to go on antibiotics once ,as ulcers got that bad...had them all through my mouth & throat!
No flouride for me thanks!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

You are absolutely correct on all points.

I suppose I should have been a little more accurate, but I felt that the 'less than 1 point' statement would be sufficient for the discussion (and I did have a round of laziness as a factor
). There is also the observation that the 'normal' pH range of the human mouth falls slightly below the pH level untreated enamel can withstand, while it does not fall below the level that fluoridated enamel can. So while I still stand by my somewhat inaccurately-phrased statement, I must also admit that the relatively minor change in susceptibility to acidity is still a change may accomplish much if one's oral pH level regularly remains at the lower end of that normal range.

I personally am against the use of fluoride, as it appears that over-dosage is a common occurrence, and over-dosage carries much more sever problems than cavities. But it's actually refreshing to be caught in something.

I salute you, sir!

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 1   >>

join