It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikkei closed down 486.14 on 10-27-08

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
US Markets don't ALWAYS follow world markets.. and I never trust Futures..

But 6-12% declines is hard to ignore, I see a -200 at least today..

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

That is good news, nowadays -200 is the new Green!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

That is the truth. You know times are getting bad when -200 is a good day.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostlandseller

So basicly, If your from Japan, take a trip to MEXICO and buy a house! haha

But then I'd have to live in Mexico.

I'm pretty stunned by the jump in the yen. Last time I went back to Canada (Dec 2007), 100,000 yen bought me about $850 CDN - and the CDN$ was pretty much at parity with the US$ at that point.

Today, the same chunk of cash would bring me $1,370.00 CDN.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

It's going to hurt exports, but then the exports would be hurting anyways - given the whole global recession thing, not many people will be lining up for Nissan GTRs regardless of what the yen is doing.

Where it is going to help substantially is on imports - and given that Japan relies on imports for just about all of it's mineral/energy needs, and about 25%-30% of it's food supply...

It's an odd equation right now. I'm in for the long haul, regardless (although I'll be keeping an eye on the real estate market in Hawaii
)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

points mean nothing.. % does. If companies reach a point where they no longer effect the market (like National City) you will expect to see smaller maximum point losses, but larger % losses.. A company on the DOW at $3 a share and it drops $2 won't effect the Average much.

200 points is therefore a much larger % of the market now, then say last October at 14,000

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
You think 36% is bad.My husband has worked 6 to 7 days a week since we were both 17, he no longer has a 401k the whole thing is gone! So be glad you have something left

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer

The main effect of the sickness in this market is that nothing is behaving as expected.

+1.85% @ 1:30PMEST

Like I said, it is a sickness.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Oh god...... I just looked at my 401k. -36% on the year with most of the damage coming this month.

I am going to go vomit.

Are you alright? Feel better now?

EBSA often files lawsuits to recover money taken in cases of fraud or theft from 401(k) accounts, and other federal agencies file criminal charges when necessary to recover stolen funds.

The government averages about 14 criminal indictments a year and has closed an annual average of 1,100 civil cases over the past seven years involving 401(k) accounts. During that period, the government has recovered an average of $50 million a year from 401(k) misconduct cases. Through March, the Department of Labor says it has recovered $6.7 million, obtained five criminal indictments and closed more than 400 civil cases with violations this year.

Oh my G......G.....Bha......BHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
......(flush.)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Read above.. it IS time stamped so no tampering ..

DOW close today -203.18
(-2.42%)

COMMON .. I deserve a cookie!

PS .. I didn't think my prediction would come through.. but the DOW tanked 200 points in the last hour.

[edit on 10/27/2008 by Rockpuck]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join