It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikkei closed down 486.14 on 10-27-08

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Japan's markets tanked today and right now futures are down for the Dow at -95. The DAX futures are down at -228.50. The CAC futures are down -120 and the FTSE futures are down -221.50.

I don't know what Wall St. will do today and I am not going to drive myself crazy with this. I feel like we all know what is going to happen it is just a question of when.

If the market is destined to crash and currency to be devalued, I have two thoughts on it. The first is it just needs to happen so we can back up and regroup in that we will know what we are dealing with and can act accordingly. The second thought is be careful what you ask for.

This slow lingering death is emotionally tiring though. I wish the markets would just make up their mind.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I think the DOW will slip below 8000 tonight.
Futures has it down
-112.00 to sit at 8149.00

We've seen 149.00 vanish in a heart beat.

October 2007, we were at 14000
October 2008, we are at 8000

Pretty telling isnt it!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What a downer! This thread is a downer! You facial-cheeks droop down, alpha-downer/niner.

www.youtube.com...

Such are these times, indeed.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

You are in rare form tonight plucky.

reply to post by seejanerun

Futures really seem to be harder and harder to base any predictions off of. Like Agit8dChop said, the market can swing so violently and so quickly that it is really hard to judge. I sleep during the day and it is always frightening for me to check out what the market did for the day. I can go to bed with the dow -300 only to have it end up +200. Or vice versa....

Lately, it is almost more ominous to see the futures only down 100 or so. Those days have ended up being pretty bad.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It was supposed to bomb out on Friday also. Futures were locked down, remember?

The main effect of the sickness in this market is that nothing is behaving as expected. You might as well get worked up over the next coin toss being a heads or tails, its about as predictable at this point.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Hong Kong down %12.5 - almost at close.
Japan down %6.5 a close

DOW Futures point to a 8000pt start, hanging between 7995 - 8005

Who knows what to expect...

but its definately not a good lead from Asia

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
Japan's markets tanked today and right now futures are down for the Dow at -95. The DAX futures are down at -228.50. The CAC futures are down -120 and the FTSE futures are down -221.50.

I don't know what Wall St. will do today and I am not going to drive myself crazy with this. I feel like we all know what is going to happen it is just a question of when.

If the market is destined to crash and currency to be devalued, I have two thoughts on it. The first is it just needs to happen so we can back up and regroup in that we will know what we are dealing with and can act accordingly. The second thought is be careful what you ask for.

This slow lingering death is emotionally tiring though. I wish the markets would just make up their mind.

I agree just let them drop pick up the pieces and move on.

When I die I don't want some doctor pumping a liter of blood into me every hour while I lose 1.1 liters in that same hour. Either way I'm gonna die just get it over with.

But wait he can't do that he's retiring let the death be on the new Dr.'s hands that comes in the morning.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The Japanese market (NIKKEI) was mixed, then it orderly descended losing 6.36% of its opening value. I think that was a very rational performance given the fact that there is virtually not one positive short-term outlook regarding the global economy. Japanese like to export, so they are nervous.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Better 6% than 15%:

Hang Seng Index

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Mainer]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Better 6% than 15%:

Hang Seng Index

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Mainer]

That's interesting, because the causes of the crash of 1987 lead to Hong Kong.

Someone is going to freak out sooner or later. An then, there is no stopping . . .

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Looks like it's going to be another popcorn filled night today.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
man i figured the markets overseas were pretty quiet. I didint even bother to check them until i saw your thread. I figured they would be down but not to this extent.

God, im actually pretty stoked. haha I put my entire stock account funds in shorts Friday right before close on a lot of Oil and Financial stocks. Looks like its going to pay off! Had a lot of reason to believe the market was going to open lower after the weekend.

Also kind of odd is that silver has dropped 60 cents per ounce to $8.80 in the last few hours.

The Dow is down about 250 points right now, They did break the 8000 mark a little while ago. Lets see how the European markets hold up through the night. Looks to be another wild day.

It looks like i may stay up and sell off shortly after the opening bell and lock in my short covers and take the day off, get a nice big steak & tader lunch and come back and trade around a bit.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
also want to see something kinda cool....

On august 1st, One US dollar was worth 9.8 pesos.

Now One US Dollar is worth 14 pesos!

same time frame, One dolalr was worth $.92 cents canadian.
Now One US Dollar is worth $1.30 canadian.

Was .63 euros, Now .81 euros/

Kinda crazy, and then think

The yen. One US Dolalr was worth 110 yen, now its worth ONLY 92 Yen!

So heres the crazy numbers.....

One Mexican Peso was worth 11 Yen, Now one Mexican Peso is worth 6.7 yen.

So basicly, If your from Japan, take a trip to MEXICO and buy a house! haha

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Oh god...... I just looked at my 401k. -36% on the year with most of the damage coming this month.

I am going to go vomit.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Some financial 'gurus' here in Australia predicting the Dow will (eventually)fall below 6000, and perhaps even lower. We're seeing fairly constant falls here. For goodness sake, I wish the market would make up its mind though. It's like trying to pour a cup of tea on a roller coaster at the moment.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Some financial 'gurus' here in Australia predicting the Dow will (eventually)fall below 6000, and perhaps even lower. We're seeing fairly constant falls here. For goodness sake, I wish the market would make up its mind though. It's like trying to pour a cup of tea on a roller coaster at the moment.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Yeah i pulled all my money out of major holdings. If i was going to put my money into anything to just sit i would have left it in any of the Ultra short shares. But If you can put your 401K into something stable or even cash(USD) which has been a strong investment, I would stick to day trading. Its pretty safe considering the negative hype associated with day trading. The safe way. Sit back and wait for news. Either from an individual company, or form a sector. There will usually be a run as soon as the news is released. Take the run and get out with a modest 5-10% profit. If its a strong run you can get 20-40% runs if the news is big enough.

When playing off news its pretty hard to not make some strong gains. Its also fairly easy to trade momentum. Right now Oil stocks are great for momentum as it is pretty heavy and doesnt tend to just jult up and down without a curve.

But just sitting here holding onto stocks seems pretty painful. I have a hard time feeling comfortable even holding over the night or especially holding over the weekend. The market can close, and by the time it opens the stocks your holding can be down 8% before you get a chance to place a trade (if you aren't doing pre and after markets)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I got out on Friday in the pre-market when I saw we hit the limit down and kicked myself all day when all my stocks went UP just after the open. This is payback for the bastards that bought my stocks for a song...

It's going to be like this all week I think, GDP figures coming out and no amount of rate cuts will save us from that bad boy.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The ppt, absolutly destroy anything that is left of free market capitalism. Dow should of tanked by now, but not for the ppt.

Thats all they really have to keep this stuff afloat.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Yeah fridya when the GDP #s do come out i think it ill be brutal. We saw how it worked out for the UK. Whats to say we wont see the same thing here. Im really dreading the #s that will be released. But if they happen to be good. BUY!

Regardless it will be a day traders dream.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join