It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supermarket shoppers could face 'walk of shame' to alcohol checkout counter in bid to curb growing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I don't think this is the real reason for a layout like that. After all it's in evryones shop owners intrest to sell as much as possible.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go

Supermarket shoppers could face 'walk of shame' to alcohol checkout counter in bid to curb growing binge-drinking culture

www.dailymail.co.uk

Shoppers buying alcohol at the supermarket face a 'walk of shame' to a dedicated checkout counter.

The plan is being drawn up by ministers to curb Britain's growing binge-drinking culture.

Stores would have to create the 'alcohol-only' areas manned by specially-trained staff.

This would hopefully deter shoppers from making excessive purchases by putting them under the scrutiny of fellow customers.

And it would help catch those buying alcohol underage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Ummm . . . people go to a bar, don't they? Isn't this essentially the same thing . . . except you can't drink your beverage of choice there?

Idiots

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer Another moronic suggestion no doubt coming from some leftist "think" tank.

The UK government is leftist? Bush's latest poodle is left wing? All that surveillence and Orwellian police-state is coming out of the liberal left?

What are you drinking?

Why is the right on constant mindless, knee-jerk alert to fix all blame and all the world's ills on the left? Can stupid not simply be stupid without affixing an ideological tag?

Once again, that tenor is simply pathetic.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
How would this be shameful?

Here in Canada we have only specific government-regulated stores that sell alcohol (The Beer Store, and LCBO in Ontario), and there is no shame in going to either...

Hmm... news to me...

Here in B.C., we have government owned liqour stores as well as privately owned liqour stores. I prefer going to the government liqour stores as they are cheaper.

You are right about the no shame part though. They recently built a gigantic government owned liqour store a couple years ago. That place has a constant flow of people going in and out at any given time, and I've never seen any of this "shame" on other peoples faces.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I saw an advert in a magazine the other day, for Jack Daniels. Not once, in a full page advert, did it describe the product, or try to convince the reader why he should buy JD instead of any other Whiskey. It did however say that they encouraged you to "drink responsibly", and had "drinkaware.co.uk" prominently displayed at the bottom.

Now we restrict sale of alcohol (notionally at least) to adults. Why do they have to have suddenly adopted this nannyish approach?

Once they've done for alcohol what they did for tobacco, food will be next on the list.

Which is why I've bought the domain eataware.co.uk - can anyone help me make my fortune from it :-)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the input guys, I'm glad to see that most of you find it as crazy as I do.

On the issue of it being smokers targeted first, now drinkers, I heard a brilliant bit of hypocracy on the local talk radio show on the drive into work this morning.

The presenters were saying - quite rightly - how wrong this is, that it's people's choice and it's up to them, etc. However, I remember them saying quite the opposite the other month when they were discussing smoking.

As has been said, it's the usual situation of no-one caring until something starts to affect their way of life...

It's so, so sad, but might make people wake up a little bit.

Reminds me of the poem 'Not my Business' a little bit.

Also, very interesting about other countries and the government stores...I wonder if that's where these people are getting the idea from?

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I was at a Sam's club not all that long ago,guy pulled up behind me with a cart of approximately 800.00 worth of Crown Royal,rather then anyone giving him dirty looks,I said out loud"I'm following this dude he knows how to party!" lol,I quit drinking 16 yrs ago,who cares what one does behind closed doors,some people get embarrased over anything

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You can always count on the UK government to come up with the silliest ideas.

I thought you already have to buy your cigarettes at a different check out counter than groceries, has that curbed the rate of smoking. No of course it hasn't.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Retseh]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
wouldn't this just be more convenient? I mean if your going to the store and all you want is booze and some smokes, why do you want to stand in line with the ol lady who probably has a rolodex full of coupons that shes gonna spend a half an hour using to pay for her groceries? All the while telling the lady behind the counter all about her grandchildren and the goiter that shes growing on her neck?

I think this is a good thing for the people that just want to get their alcohol and get out of the store.

[edit on 10/23/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck]

The UK government is leftist? Bush's latest poodle is left wing? All that surveillence and Orwellian police-state is coming out of the liberal left?

What are you drinking?

Why is the right on constant mindless, knee-jerk alert to fix all blame and all the world's ills on the left? Can stupid not simply be stupid without affixing an ideological tag?

You're absolutely right. It seems that the Invasive, Orwellian bull crap is actually far right wing. I dunno where that idiot got the idea that it's the lefties... If anything MOST lefties protests against that.

Unfortunately the lefties have got 'new labour' and despite them being idiots and fools, some people still tag new labour as a left wing group, which is rubbish.

I think most of the problems this country has faced has been a result of the right wing.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I am curious about why governments everywhere today seem to be sucking up to the "goody two shoes" types these days with all these stupid "nanny" laws.

Aren't most people a little more adventurous than that? Take all the risk out of life and you take out all the fun too!!

I for one am tired of the government trying to tell me whats good for me!
; especially when they are doing dastardly things in my name all the while.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by wayno]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Let's recognise "spin" here people.

Markets have started a alcohol only lane, this paper spins this to seem like a bad thing. Why is this bad? I mean who cares, if your going in to buy alcohol, does anyone in the store give a rats behind?

Do you go into stores and look at the guy in front of you and judge him by the stuff in his cart? I mean if someone is going down the liquor aisle and making like they are setting up a pub at their house is it your concern?

Think of it this way, would you rather be stuck behind the dude that is buying a years supply of alcohol when you ran in for some butter?

Let's see about spinning it this way. This is convenient for everyone involved. People that buy alcohol don't have to wait behind Granny Pinchpenny, shoppers don't have to wait behind Boozy McSwollenliver. It's a win win.

[edit on 10/23/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

Wait a moment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't the Uk have liquor stores? you know the stores that only caters to the drinkers in the population like in the US?

Something most be definitely wrong if the UK doesn't have them perhaps that will be a great way to start a business.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

They have "Off Licence" stores, bunch of weirdos, :shk: first time I saw one of those I thought they got their liquor licence pulled.

The UK does have liquor stores, but they don't call em Liquor stores.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by 44soulslayer Another moronic suggestion no doubt coming from some leftist "think" tank.

What are you drinking?

Dictatorship can be both left and ring wing. Unless you think that Stalin was a far-right capitalist?

Nanny stating measures such as this always have their origins in the left-wing ideology of "state responsibility".

Liberty is a concept that neither left nor right respects.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I mean if you can stay away from buying "spirits" (that's another name for them) in the supermarkets then by all means do it.

Here in the US you can buy wine and beer in Wal-mart but hard liquor can only be bought at liquor stores.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The only folks making the walk of shame to the liquor counter are the ones buying "Wild Irish Rose" or "MD 20/20". State liquor/package stores are common place in the states. South Carolina used to have a mini bottle only law in bars. It is all about the taxes and more govt. involvement.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
It seems that the Invasive, Orwellian bull crap is actually far right wing. I dunno where that idiot got the idea that it's the lefties... If anything MOST lefties protests against that.

Unfortunately the lefties have got 'new labour' and despite them being idiots and fools, some people still tag new labour as a left wing group, which is rubbish.

I think most of the problems this country has faced has been a result of the right wing.

If Im an idiot then you are a partisan moron.

If Orwellian measures originate from the right wing, then why is Boris Johnson, the arch tory, leading the fight against ID cards?

State control is neither a left nor ring wing issue, its a 3D map of left-right and state control vs personal freedom.

New Labour is not right wing, it is dictatorial in its economic and social policies. Surely even you agree that our country has become far more Orwellian under Labour than it ever was under the Conservatives?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer Dictatorship can be both left and ring wing. Unless you think that Stalin was a far-right capitalist?

Of course not, but neither do I regard the current government of the UK as a communist dictatorship. And while you can argue the semantics and vagaries of Nanny State vs Big Brother, to me the goverment of the UK is exercising all of the attributes of a right wing state.

To immediately conclude that efforts, no matter how ill-concieved, at controlling alcohol abuse are the products of a left wing think tank is one more pathetic attempt to blame all of the world's ills upon your ideolgical rivals. It is lame, so lame, and tiresome to the extreme. Get over it.

Sometimes a dumb idea is just a dumb idea!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The fact remains that under the major left wing part of this country, we have seen a massive explosion in the amount of state surveillance and control. That isn't opinion, it is cold hard fact. You can check the number of CCTVs and especially speed cameras that have been installed under the Labour government.

I agree that this is a stupid idea. But Im also sure that this type of policy comes straight out of the Fabian institute. Condemning a philosophy without condemning its origins is a job half done.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join