It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supermarket shoppers could face 'walk of shame' to alcohol checkout counter in bid to curb growing

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
The fact remains that under the major left wing part of this country, we have seen a massive explosion in the amount of state surveillance and control.

Granted, what I dispute is that Labour remains a left-wing party. We have our right-wing in Canada...they call themselves Conservatives, but true Torys swallow their tongues at that. The party has been co-opted by neo-con ideologues through a 'merger' with the Reform Party. So...party names have become meaningless.

You can call yourself Shirley Freakin' Temple, but in the end it's deeds, not words, that count.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is made up by anti alcohol religious groups and just another unjust unfair attempt at them trying to control people through there daily lives and force there beliefs upon them.
As you can see alcoholics are people of mch better character than moronic robotic drones who want people to be like them and believe what they do for there masters.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Interestinggg]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any shame at all in buying alcohol in any quantities. When I plan a party, it's usually well stocked, and I have to carry a couple of cases out of the store. So what? I mean whoever proposed that is a sheer idiot. And even when I buy a case of red wine for personal consumption... What's wrong with that?

They should really go to France for a week, it's right across the Channel, and check it out

[edit on 23-10-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Buying and drinking alcohol should be a crime!
Liquor is a poison and the reason of all problems.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunkdrinker
Buying and drinking alcohol should be a crime!
Liquor is a poison and the reason of all problems.

Your post speaks for itself. It takes guts to lay it all out like that, and I wish you well.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I wonder where the goofs that came up with this idea buy their booze? Are they going to be embarrased by one of these stores?

Living in the US, states have different laws regarding buying alcohol. For instance, in the state of Michigan, for years you couldnt buy booze before noon on Sunday. Never made much sense as football (american) started at noon, which forces people to really plan ahead, what a pain.

In Alaska, they have stores similar to whats being discussed in this article. Honestly, its much easier and more convienant to get your booze. No waiting in line behind people with tons of groceries just for a couple of bottles. Everything is right in front of you, no need to walk through the diaper isle to find your Jameson. I havent seen or heard of anyone being ashamed to buy alcohol from a "package" store. Matter of fact, because you are only looking at/dealing with other drinkers, there is less shame on a true drunks face.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but I can't help thinking that this Supermarket ' walk of shame ' thing is perhaps connected to the ban on smoking in Pubs. I read somewhere that the UK Govt is very worried about the large numbers of British Pubs that have closed for good since the smoking ban. Could this be an attempt to discourage buying booze from Supermarkets and drive us all back to Pubs again.

My 2p

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
A lot of people are saying that this is none of the governments business and we should let people make their own choices on this. That’s all well and good until you factor in the increasing (key word) effects that those who choose to be irresponsible have on the rest of society. This includes, but is probably not limited to; costing tax payers due to the NHS having to treat increasing numbers of alcohol related illness and injuries caused by alcohol related assault; taking up bed spaces in the NHS due to the same; costing the tax payer due to the need for increased policing; forcing insurance costs up in areas where binge drinking is prevalent and causing general misery in areas of the same (vandalism, general yobish behaviour etc). And I’m sure much more but the point is that when the effects go beyond the individual then the community must step in and in cases where it can’t then the government must. You can’t whine about all the litter, smashed windows and knife crime and then bitch and moan about the nanny state when they try to stop it.

This proposal is still daft because it obviously won’t work and isn’t really targeting the right people i.e. those who are getting off their faces in pubs and clubs and underage drinkers. This idea will do nothing to stop those people causing problems but will cost companies who have to make changes to their shops.

There is a problem in the UK but it is a cultural one that can only be changed in the long term with the public, particularly parents taking on most of the responsibility. The government can do little but examples of what it could do, imho, include scrapping the 24hr drinking laws; possibly banning or further restricting the advertisement of alcohol; encouraging better, more honest education about alcohol in schools and promoting harsher punishments for those selling alcohol to anyone who is underage.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You guys are lucky! In my state they call your mother-in-law for purchase approval! It's rough and it works! Talk about a buzzkill!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Well who wishes not to serve you your tipple?,
Who will sell it to you in the local shop,
Who has a vested interest in our food supply,and is buying up shares,
Its part of the great Saudi buy up of the UK,a low blow but clever,being able to sly there ways into our culture with the Oh its for your own good!
why not checkout the names behind the push on this issue.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck]

The UK government is leftist? Bush's latest poodle is left wing? All that surveillence and Orwellian police-state is coming out of the liberal left?

What are you drinking?

Why is the right on constant mindless, knee-jerk alert to fix all blame and all the world's ills on the left? Can stupid not simply be stupid without affixing an ideological tag?

Once again, that tenor is simply pathetic.

You're absolutely right. It seems that the Invasive, Orwellian bull crap is actually far right wing. I dunno where that idiot got the idea that it's the lefties... If anything MOST lefties protests against that.

Unfortunately the lefties have got 'new labour' and despite them being idiots and fools, some people still tag new labour as a left wing group, which is rubbish.

I think most of the problems this country has faced has been a result of the right wing.

Actually... Right wing parties these days aren't actually leaning to the right. True conservatives believe in smaller gov't, with little interference in citizens lives. That is why they are called neo-cons, because they're the "new" conservatives... even though their ideals aren't conservative.

Edit: For a true conservative, look to Ron Paul.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by ben420]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

You guys are lucky! In my state they call your mother-in-law for purchase approval! It's rough and it works! Talk about a buzzkill!

--------------------

Funniest Post I've seen all day, star for that..

Peace

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, monkey see monkey do America will do the same. Wow, good news for once!!!!!

Get rid of the derelicts, the drunk drivers, take booze away!!!!! yea!!!!

Take the cigarettes away, take all medication away, so that everyone is coherent enough to enjoy that fluoride in the water!!! Yes!!!!

Take it all away!!!!!

But seriously, can you imagine those big fat politicians without their booze??

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sweet. I like buying lots of beer and thats the end of it. No one will ever stop me. This makes it easier for me to access my beloved alcohol anyway so I don't see what the problem is. I like people knowing how much alcohol I'm buying anyway

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

More to it, dg, can you imagine Bush without it?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
...Welll...People KNOW you ain't buying a loaf of bread when you head into the local liquor store...People walking in don't seem to mind,and people walking by don't seem to care what your doing...LOL

As if people don't take a double take at the drunks in the line in the grocery store already...LOL...i mean,whats the difference between being at your "own" counter with all your booze,or standing behind suzie with her groceries,while you try and keep standing with your case of lager...LOL

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Rory27]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Oh man, they need this in the US. I would happily grab a bottle of Boone's Farm, for the ability to get into the new "Express Checkout".

Hey try shopping at Walgreens then. They have a separate area for the liqour sales. I use it all the time. It's great to beat the lines.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Getting us used to Orwellian future.

Chips,anyone?

It's not fearmongering if the sky is actually falling- P. Revere

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
well buying in the Spirits only line, can not be any worst, than for some people buying condoms or for women buying vaginal cream or for others buying preparation H.

Is things out there that people have the need to purchase that can be very embarrassing and it has nothing to do with Alcohol.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

I would still buy a ton of beer and liquor, and as everyone stares at my packed cart with jealousy I will announce to the store I will be throwing a party in the parking lot!

"walk of shame" .. since when is there shame in stocking your liquor cabinet or buying a 24pack?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join