It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Retro Gamers out there?....The 80"s Rule.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Any one here that like the games of the 80's, man I loved that era, it's etched in my psyche. I have so many memories about those great games. I have a Mame machine at home and I play these games all the time. If you like classic games then you need to find out what Mame is.....Google it and you will be amazed. It means multiple arcade machine emulator...What are some of your favorite games and memories of that era?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Oh my favorite arcade video game from the 80's is a little obscure: Scramble

I'll try and find a screenshot.

Edit: Here's a linkie. scramble

[edit on 10/19/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The eighties spawned some excellent games.

Riddle of the Sphinx - BBC Micro (Text adventure!)
Snapper - BBC Micro (Pacman clone)
Megatraveller - Amiga (Brilliant RPG)
Bloodwych - Amiga/PC (I think this was the first first person 3D RPG)
Operation Wolf - Spectrum/Amiga
Wonderboy series - Sega MS
Chucky Egg - Acorn Electron/BBC/Spectrum
Donkey Kong - LCD Game & Watch/BBC Micro
Manic Miner - BBC Micro
Jet Set Willy - Spectrum
Elite - BBC Micro (Colossal game, a masterpiece for it's day)
Duck Hunt - NES (Who could forget?)
R-Type - Amiga (The king of scrollers)
Robocop - Spectrum/Amiga (Digitised speech!!!!)
Castle Quest - BBC Micro (The best platform adventure ever)

Arcade machines:
Ghouls and Ghosts
Afterburner (Mainly for the machine itself)

These are the most memorable at the moment, but I bet as I read this thread others will jump out too. Anyone else played any of these games?

The late eighties saw the development of 3D games like Hunter (Amiga), forerunners of games like GTA and Mercenaries.

Right, I'm off to find me an Amiga...

[edit on 19/10/2008 by Sendran]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Each of you have picked some great games, I remember each one. Here are some of my favorites.

Dragons Lair
Stargate
Joust
Robotron
Donkey Kong Jr.

Final Fight
TMNT
..........................Just to name a few.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rikk7111

Dragon's Lair! The Don Bluth game. I remember that one, it came on about 10 floppy disks for the Amiga. The graphics were outstanding, more than made up for the gameplay. Final Fight and TMNT were awesome arcade machines, TMNT was four player too, wasn't it?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

TMNT was four player too, wasn't it?

There was a two player and four player arcade game, one was a little cheaper to buy than the other and smaller....................

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
On the Sinclair Spectrum:

Rebelstar 2:

Chaos:

And on the Amiga:

I can't even imagine the number of game-hours spent on these three

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Wow!
- what a cool thought! I was a real fan of 'Centipede' - a game I used to play for what seemed like days. And Galaga too!

I also had a Commodore 64 which on my desk... but I now have the same system for my laptop (Emulator) so I can play all the games like I used to... when I have the time.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Anyone here have a Commodore Amiga?
I used to love playing games on it when I was 11.

Dungeon Master, Sleepwalker, Dan Dare 3 and that ambulance game where you had to move the stretcher around to catch the babies falling from the burning tower block.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by _Volt_

Yup, I still have a couple. They don't get much use recently, especially since Amiga emulation on PC is so good now.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asnivor
reply to post by _Volt_

Yup, I still have a couple. They don't get much use recently, especially since Amiga emulation on PC is so good now.

Yeah, I played Dungeon Master in emulator on my PC about 8 months ago, the create your own dungeon map was good.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
... I'm not sure how '80's this is... but I used to play alot of Nintendo - Mario, Megaman (I-X), and Metroid. And I mentioned the Commodore 64 - which I used to make games for with the Game Maker program. They were always so primitive - but it taught me alot about 'if this... then that'.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The Commodore Amiga was the dogs in it's day. No Atari ST owners to disagree?

[edit on 22/10/2008 by Sendran]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Big 80's fan here. Spent more time than I like to think in the arcades. I also used to have an Amiga (by the way there are Amiga Emulators out). My favorite Amiga games were "Awesome", "Might and Magic - Bane of the cosmic forge.", and the original "star control" and I believe that "Star Control 2" also came out for the Amiga as well. If nothing else "Star Control 2" also was on the Sega Genesis as well. Even got my hands on a copy of "Blitz Basic" (a programming language) for the Amiga and did some work on developing a sorta text adventure (with pictures!) for it but never finished it. Loved that system.

Edited to Add:
Dungeon Master as well of course.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Deson]

top topics

join