It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your views on a virtual world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
would you consider yourself less of a being if you were created by another life form as part of an experiment e.g. virtual reality?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
in my opinion no because to the being that was created, the world around them would be reality

perception is what defines our truth and in being conscious of the world around them and of the "self" aspect that defines who they are as an individual, they would become just as real as we are in the world we live.

it wouldn't make me feel any less to realize god is real and god created us but we are on a hard drive somewhere because while the simulation is running, i think therefore i am.

*** edited to once again complete my thought since i always post too quickly

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Barathrum]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Wow! this is the kind of deep questions that keep me coming here!

Reality is a relative term. What we consider real... Is. So therefore if i was created as some experiment and was plopped here as part of a displacement system. How could I not see myself as real? But it WOULD hurt my ego to know I was created in such a way.

Not speaking of a "god" thing, but anything. The one thing that keeps our heads high is the unknown of our origins There are a lot of debates abot what really happened: scientific, religious... But the truth is- We just don't know. How humble would mankind be if we found out conclusivly that we were created from a higher entity. It may run into boarderline mental slavery to the entity that created us.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The sooner we all go in to suspended animation, connected by quantum computers to live hyper-sensory virtual lives in Dubai, the better.

When that happens, the beings running this experiment had better plug in because the lab rats have developed a few protocols of their own.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
My personal view is that existence is a form of life if living things react with this existance the existance becomes real in the eyes of a living thing and therefore becomes alive...

...for example:

A robot with advanced AI that interacts with a human be it a babysitter for example creates an impression in that humans life e.g. a memory or action which later has a butterfly effect in time.

It is from the above that makes me wonder if every peice of matter in the universe defines the future by the path it takes.

Anyway my point is even if we are virtual our virtuality must have a source (a computer fo-instance) which in turn must have a starting point e.g. I know i'll create a virtual world.

Now that very thought I belive would have a physical repercussion on there real world, therefore if the world we live in isn't real we still matter.

Hope that made sense

[edit on 21/10/2008 by klain]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by klain

I believe we were created by another being. This Earth we live on was constructed or used as a home for our species. Why else would the Moon exhibit characteristics to that of a designed spacial entity? I mean permanently locked in Geo synchronous orbit to where we only see 58% of its surface? Reports of reverberation for 3 hours after they landed on the moon?

Don't you think that would be the perfect spot to view your subjects in an experiment? Behind a wall that the subjects cannot see their examiners?

(insert creepy twilight zone music here)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I matter to me and that's all that really matters.

Does that sound totally selfish? I suppose so, but I think we all are, the differences lie in how much of it we admit.

Yes I care about other people, and I try to do things to "improve" the world, especially my little corner of it. I get friends and warm fuzzy feelings.

But ultimately, whether this lifetime lasts another 51 years, and whether that is just a few hours of leisure time to a "kid" who has created me as a character in his simulation game, it really doesn't make any difference.

This moment is all I have - all any of us really has - and in this moment I'm okay with who I am, where I am, and what I'm doing. What else really matters?

Hey, look at it this way .. if there's some "thing" out there using me to get points or entertainment in a game, or some system using me as a battery for power, at least I have a purpose!

Otherwise I could be just some random collection of cells ambling aimlessly through time and the universe trying to figure out what my purpose is but .. there isn't one! The joke's on me! It's all just chaos and chance...

It doesn't matter how I got here or why. I'm here now, and I'm going to make the best of it, and you'll just have to deal with it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have always wondered how people can play video games and not realize they are in a virtual reality. It would be nice if people would try to understand what consciousness is for a change.

top topics

join