It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Election 2008 What "catch phrase" do you never want to hear again?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just like the famous "read my lips, no new taxes" or Al Gore's Mysterious "lock-box", hanging chads, etc...What catch phrase from Election 2008 can you go the rest of your life w/o ever hearing again.

Here are mine:
"You Betcha"
"Hockey mom"
"Energizing the base"
and now my new one..."Joe the Plumber"

So, what do you all think? Remember any others from the past that deserve a good LOL? post away.

AM

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I've come to hate the word ' fundamental'. I hear it just about every other sentence from both candidates. Sometimes I feel like I want to yank out what's left of my hair out if I hear it again.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Clark W. Griswold]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I don't think these are catch phrases but I never want to hear
1. My friends
2. Fundamental

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm voting for:

Lipstick on a Pig
The pitbull/hockey mom joke
Joe Six pack
Maverick

Those are mine... I'm pretty sure

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Great ones folks. And no, I suppose it does not have to be a "catch phrase" per se, but a word or phrase that is heard repeatedly that makes you just sick of it.

disenfranchised is another one I forgot LOL

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Wall Street and Main Street. Dear God, let it go away whilst I retain a small shred of my sanity.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There would be maverick, maverick, and maybe even maverick.

Also, my biggest pet peeves would be...

HOPE, and CHANGE. These will bring about hope and change, in turn bringing more hope, to this change. Relying on this change, we will have new hope... for change.

God, these candidates are idiots.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I will say: John McCain and Barak Obama

I just can't wait until it is over, so we can complain about something else. This election is so last year.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Let's see...

'Maverick', unless we're talking about the James Garner series!

'My friends', talk about over used!

Oh yeah, and 'Drill, baby Drill'!

I also never want to hear the names 'William Ayers' or 'Acorn' again!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Phrases and words.

"Financial crisis"
"Financial institutions"
"housing market"

"Dow is down again today"
"John McCain and Barak Obama"
"Electoral college"
"this is not a plan to take over the world economy"
"BUSH"
"BUSH"
"BUSH"

"bailout"
"bailout"
"bailout"
"bailout"
"bailout"
"bailout"

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Anything mentioning "Joe." Joe the Plumber, Joe Six-Pack, the Average Joe. Josie and the Pussycats (Ok, I made that last one up but you get the point).

Maverick. If I hear Maverick one more time I'm going to go apesh*t. Palin probably has called John McCain a maverick more than there are neurons in her brain.

Hockey-Mom. I don't care if Palin is a hockey mom, it has absolutely no relevence to anything whatsoever. Let's just call her right-handed mom too if we're going to name retarded and completely irrelevent characteristics.

Fundamental. Especially when Obama says it. He puffs his cheeks out when he says the letter 'f' or 'ph.' It really grinds my gears.

My Friends. I am not your friend John McCain. You probably have no friends, either they use you for something or you use them. Friendly friends do friendship-like things with their friends' friends, my friends.

Last, I slowly rot away every time I hear the world "Bailout." I know it's not a catch phrase, but this comes up in my daily politics conversations alot in the real world and people's acceptance of the MSM's word regarding it really pisses me off. Everyone I talk to sincerely thinks this must have been the best idea because the gov't wants the best for us. AHHH.
[/rant]

Edit to add: Terrorist, Terror, Terrorism. My God these past 7 years have been absolutely nothing but a dramatic increase in terror. Terror here, terror there, terror under your bed, terror in Iraq. Why can't we just create a virus which targets terrorists and get done with this already!? I think I might even be a terrorist for not agreeing with Bush that everyone's a terrorist.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Alexander_Supertramp]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

LOL...Nice rant! Hockey-mom was on my list too. I don't know about up there in Alaska, but down here in Texas (where we don't have youth hockey) the term soccer mom is NOT a positive phrase. We call the ditsy, cell phone talking, SUV/mini van driving, accident waiting to happen females "soccer moms". ESPECIALLY if they have a "my kid is an honor student...." stickers, etc. on the rear windscrean.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
"Maverick"
"Main St." in reference to the average American.
"Pork Barrel"

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Change we can believe in.

Bailout.

Mainstreet.

War on Terror.

Lipstick on a pig.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe' 'say, it ain't so joe'

phew.... im done.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
"Where's the beef"

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It has to be "Maverick" and "My Friends"

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hah thanks, I didn't realize how much I needed to get that out.

I completely agree, its a negative word here in NC too..soccer moms are looked at as annoying women who get more upset about the games than their kids do. Great thread idea though, really helped get that off my chest!

Oh and since you brought it up, I HATE it when people have bumper stickers about their children being an honors student. It just shows arrogance and nobody likes a bragger.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

Oh and since you brought it up, I HATE it when people have bumper stickers about their children being an honors student. It just shows arrogance and nobody likes a bragger.

Yeah, those are annoying. But i always get a kick out of the ones that say, "Proud parent of a D student."

Ok, since everyone is picking McCain and Palin mannerisms and overused quotes...i'll go the opposite since we seem to have those covered.

4 more years of Bush
Fundamentals of the economy are sound
Ugh Umm Ugh Um..Ugh Um AND Um Eh
They are clinging to their guns and religion
Obama and his love for PIE link:www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
All those and more. Actually, I can't think of any beyond those.

I'll tell you what I WANT to hear repeated over and over again, after Senator Obama is elected president. I want people to remind him and us, throughout his administration, that he said at least a dozen times that 95% of Americans would not get ONE DIME of increase in their taxes.

Now how can that be possible? I want it repeated again and again. I want him to rue the day he tried to BS us with that endless "do loop".

Then, after he is elected President, I will throw 100% of whatever support I can muster behind him, because then the deed is done. There is no time then, for crying about what might've been. That is the essence of being a patriot, to me. To put one's energies consistent with that which will best serve the country.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join