It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons when SHTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

I know there's an overall ban on firearms in Britain, but I have a question. Have they outlawed bows? How about crossbows?

I have to tell you, with a good system, an accomplished bowman can own anything out to 200 meters. I'm one of those who if one thing is unavailable or banned, I compensate.

Another advantage over firearms is very low noise. And this same bow can be used for not only defense, but for hunting game.

Just a thought. I have many, many firearms here in the States, but I have and practice with my bows for multiple reasons. Sometimes you may wish to hunt game quietly, and not let the neighborhood know anyone is even in the area.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yes in the UK crossbows and bows are, thankfully, still in the hands of the common people who choose to own them.
In England and Wales you are forbidden from hunting with them, but in Scotland and on the borders it's more relaxed.

Looking at the Dunblaine massacre though, all it takes is one nutcase with broadhead/barbed arrows in a cityside window or a government set-up to get a crossbow ban fired through parliament, like they did with handguns.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Bows?
practise,practise,practise

It's cost me in replacement carbon arrows because,after a few warm up shots,they really are that accurate.

You don't split them 'in two' but you certainly wipe out the nocks,flights and backs of the shaft with a 300FPS compound.

Looking at a 350 FPS recurve xbow but loading a bow is so much faster.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here is an utterly nasty throwing weapon that takes little time to make but is effective for novices. I call it the 'Porcupine'.

Take a piece of wood at least 12-24 inches in length, ideally circular or square along its width, tapering off at the end where you grip this beast so the 'business' end is significantly heavier- take into account the weight of the nails you will be driving through the bigger end of the stick. Make sure the nails are big enough to enter one side, and out the other with at least 2-3 inches of nail jutting out. This is a throwing weapon, not a slashing weapon.

Ideally, drill prepared holes with a slightly smaller drill bit compared to the nail size you will be nailing in later so it stays firm while at the same time preventing the wood from shattering if you were to hammer the nails in forcibly. In and out, all sides. For example: 2-3 nails X 4 sides, disorganized. Try and make it cover all quadrants. Hammer some through the top, and cut off the head of the hammer with wire-cutter- equipped pilers, so the end is sharp.

The idea is to let the heavier end of the stick take the lead when it travels, so the business end hits its target.

There ya go. Be careful, ok?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
melee weapon... scottish dirk and hatchet

pistol(s) ... pair of model 1911 .45

rifle(s) ruger mini 14, colt m-4 .22, russian mosin nagant, soviet sks, german 98k

i guess i'm going to have to learn how to reload my ammunition.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Can you not buy a machete? They sell them in any hardware store around here. They're very handy as a tool for cutting brush down, and make a pretty nasty weapon in a pinch.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
well with everyone all armed to the teeth there goes any shot of building a civil society.

**catastrophic disaster...grab your holsters and your knife collection boys, its bleedin time**

The NWO and TPTB can be scary, I just wonder if the weapon crazy survivalists are scarier?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
If fixed blades are okay, I suggest the Kukri. I just got my hand forged Kukri Max from Kathmandu, Nepal...

Here's a pic...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Intimidation factor is always a plus

edit on 31-3-2011 by TreadUpon because: The imaage is on the preview but not on the post?

edit on 31-3-2011 by TreadUpon because: again...again...

edit on 31-3-2011 by TreadUpon because: again

edit on 31-3-2011 by TreadUpon because: Damn, never mind...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

Hate to say it but your pretty much SOL, anything you acquire or make will more than likely get you in trouble. Weather your caught with it before or during said incident, you end up losing and more than likely get in trouble or be outgunned. Not to say you shouldn’t bother preparing, acquire what you can and keep a low profile during the SHTF and pickup what you can from the fallen. Another thing to strongly consider is body protection from weaponry i.e. body armor, first aid, and learning how to hide and sneak around will be just as useful if not more.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
to ponder the worst case scenario makes one feel safer and motivated to prepare. it's an inclination that some have and some don't have. i would not fear other shtf prep folk, because of my preparedness level. in history we see situations where people were outnumbered a hundred to one. i think some (NOT ALL OF) the people who are most prepared for a shtf situation are the 101st airborne division. they're on wiki. though they were in situations where they were out manned, out gunned, out armored, they still racked up a formidable kill ratio. with study, we all can learn to use tactics and techniques to overcome a much bigger and "stronger" and better supplied armed force. look up sparta, the knights of europe, watch the movie "7 samurai" the mind is the ultimate weapon. persistence is the most powerful ammunition.
edit on 2-4-2011 by rockoperawriter because: nyeah

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mmmguinness

no

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Like others have said be creative. Learn how to make simple practical weapons, and aquire whatever you can aquire legaly. Also, learn how to make traps and defences for your position. Try to avoid face to face conflict with anyone with a gun. If you can (or are gutsy enough to bend the law) try out whatever weapons you plan to make/use if the situation calls for it so that you can better defend yourself/

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
what about the use of non lethal weapons? bows are an excellent alternative to guns, but in certain situations it may be neccesary to just stun and run. i wonder about the potential use for vinegar and baking soda

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
What do you plan to do with that?I realize they have a reaction to each other, but how do you plan to turn that into a weapon?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

i wonder about the potential use for vinegar and baking soda

We made little bombs in science class (circa: early grade school) was awesome!
Now, I use it to clean the house. How life has changed.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
For a less lethal solution, you could use a sap (I believe that is what it's called), which is basically a cloth bag filled with sand or dirt (no rocks). Very good for knocking out or stunning an opponet, while being less likely to kill. Also (if you sneek up on someone, and are willing to take the risks) using a sleeper hold will incapacitate a person in about 8 seconds and is difficult to escape if you don't know how. But if held for too long it will result in death, which is not what we want here. It is however excellent for quietly incapacitating an enemy.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmmguinness
well with everyone all armed to the teeth there goes any shot of building a civil society.

**catastrophic disaster...grab your holsters and your knife collection boys, its bleedin time**

The NWO and TPTB can be scary, I just wonder if the weapon crazy survivalists are scarier?

That's quite an assumption that just because people are armed that it will be chaotic. I am armed everyday now and haven't killed anyone yet, or even attacked anyone......OMG ! How is that possible?

I guess some people can't define between "self defense" & a violent murdering psycho?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Here here. I can't remember who said it, but as the old saying goes "an armed society is a polite society" and while there are some people who should never be given a weapon of any sort, society would be better off if most people went around armed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join