It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. slips further in infant mortality rate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

U.S. slips further in infant mortality rate

www.sfgate.com

After a century of declines, the U.S. infant mortality rate barely budged between 2000 and 2005, causing the United States to slip further behind other developed countries despite spending more on health care, according to a report released Wednesday...The United States dropped to 29th in the world in infant mortality in 2004, the latest year that data are available from all countries, tying with Poland and Slovakia. The year before, it was 27th. In 1960, it was 12th.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
29th, eh? Pretty sad considering. How we let it get this way on so many levels is depressing. Seemingly we continue to fall in any index/category that actually means something. When are we going to wake up and realize this is wrong?

When Codex Alimantarious is passed in 2009, I believe this will go up further.

In 1960, we were 12th.

ColoradoJens

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yeah bailing out greedy bankers and starting wars is waaaayy more important than getting healthcare to the 50million US citizens that don't have it. Oh and abortion is wrong it's much better to bring children into the world and watch them die as infants of preventable diseases and complications brought on by lack of proper prenatal care. After all we wouldn't want anybody to freeload on the system,except for those bankers I mentioned earlier
Gosh I hope they're okay

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

The question I have for the soul-less greedy fat cats is that are they or are they not eating and drinking and breathing the same as us? If there is a clean water/air/food conspiracy (where only the rich get the good stuff), let me in on it.
Health care and general health obviously go their way. Special proceedures and the best Dr's, hospitals, etc. Yes. But there is a saying that somehow applies in the long run to these "people"
Don't S**T where you eat. And they have.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
mabey im mistaken, but 29 is better then 12 ,and idk y anyone would wana 1st in infent mortality rate.being 29 is good,not bad,being 12 or first is much worse.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This an example of hwo our nation is been downgraded in front or our own eyes.

Look at the education system and many other areas, like health care and social services.

This is nothing compare of how the situation is bound to degrade with the fallen economy (occurs just for the regular joes) as the fat rats in wealthy Richistan America gets fatter.

Look for next year as the predictions said that a wave of violence and crime will raise due to the financial woes.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
10 billion a month! that's what a 'war' for profit costs you and me,meanwhile even if you have health care insurance it doesn't cover health care and they can just decide they don't want to pay! So family after family ends up bankrupt ,and yet somehow certain politicians have been able to convince working class Americans,that it would be the death knell of America if we had healthcare! Apparently that's were we draw the federal budget line!???????

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Reply to InvisibleWoman

I am of the age where I can remeber discussing the budget in HS - how much was alloted to education, military, etc. and how we would be shocked by 23-35% on Military. I still see bumper stickers with things like: "One B-52 = 1,973,392 school bake sales!" Where there once was a conciousness, it has eroded to this: we know, we hate it, we know we hate it, but I have more pressing issues like earning money to stay alive. Soon, it will all come back to haunt us, as it always does.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

wow that is the truth! The harder we work the less we have . I know this has happened to me everytime I find a way to save a dime ,something costs more utilities ,property taxes , fees for gov't services ,and no matter how much money 'they' get there is never enough to fund the services they collect all these fees and assesments for!Because all the 'government agencies ' are outsourced to private contractors ,who aren't accountable! They do a poor or incomplete job,and they're always over budget. How come no one can figure this out ?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by invisiblewoman

The question I have for the soul-less greedy fat cats is that are they or are they not eating and drinking and breathing the same as us? If there is a clean water/air/food conspiracy (where only the rich get the good stuff), let me in on it.
Health care and general health obviously go their way. Special proceedures and the best Dr's, hospitals, etc. Yes. But there is a saying that somehow applies in the long run to these "people"
Don't S**T where you eat. And they have.

ColoradoJens

No but they get Doctors to push their toxic vaccinations and pump lethal amounts into babies just weeks old.............

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

That's a good point and how sad is all this and how so many soulless SOBs can bring themselves to do this to babies is beyond me.And I know they sleep just fine at night ,heartbreak is for humans not them. I say that because to me anyone who thinks an of this is okay is no longer part of the human race.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I am going to propose a different but more less dramatic theory...

The use of IVF and fertility drugs has skyrocketted in the US lately.

This also leads to a dramatic increase of multiple births, who are statistically more likely to be born early or stillborn.

THis in turn leads to a higher mortality rate among infants.

Can't prove it, but that's my thoughts.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I guess that could be but I'm more inclined to link it to decreasing healthcare availability,and increasing poverty ,that's the rule for the rest of the world and I think it's true here to the same degree . Also the prevalence of drug use ,I haven't studied the most affected groups but I bet drugs factors in bigtime

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Reply to: asmeone2 -ATS Plague Doctor

You are indeed correct in that fact. From the OP:

The report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention attributed the plateau in mortality to a 9 percent increase in premature births over the same period and to stalled progress in saving the earliest preterm infants. Premature birth and low birth weight are by far the biggest causes of infant death.

Good call. Still does not excuse anything, imo.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Reply to: asmeone2 -ATS Plague Doctor

You are indeed correct in that fact. From the OP:

The report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention attributed the plateau in mortality to a 9 percent increase in premature births over the same period and to stalled progress in saving the earliest preterm infants. Premature birth and low birth weight are by far the biggest causes of infant death.

Good call. Still does not excuse anything, imo.

ColoradoJens

Thanks Jens. But go easy on the doctors. If a child is born before a certain point there isn't really anything that doctors can do to save it.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
asmeone2

This is true. Medicine and medical technology will eventually catch up to one thing before something else comes about that no one would have forseen. I need to do some comparitive homework on the countries listed above the US regarding premature birth and the use of fertility drugs - perhaps the statistics will bear out that the US is higher up on the list if certain "unavoidable" preemie deaths are removed.

Thanks for the thoughts - made me think about what I know about my own thread.

ColoradoJens

new topics

top topics

join