It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space travel is time travel!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
My friends there is a way for humans to travel time! But it does not involve a time machine. It involves the evolving from the space age, to the space faring age were humans have the ability to travel to different planets in some sort of craft.

We all know the sun we see now is not as it is right now, but as it was 8 minutes ago. That means if we can travel the distance from the earth to the sun in a second, theoretically, we would be going backwards in time, I think. I'm still investigating this theory.

I'm not a rocket scientist but think about that for a second! If we could travel to different locations in the universe someday, it would very much be like time travel!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
To travel from Earth to the Sun in a second, you would have to travel at a superluminal velocity - which is an apparent natural speed barrier according to modern physics.

You would need something to bend space itself in order to get there quickly, thus bypassing the physical space between. Wormholes and 'stargates' are theoretical methods of doing so.

However I feel that nothing is actually impossible in this universe, only that some things are less likely than others. This might already have been achieved by beings far more advanced than ourselves.

[edit on 14/10/08 by Evasius]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Neat idea but .... there's always buts. I wondered what if we could put mirrors around the sun and somehow using telescopes from mirror to mirror see into the past

-----but

the light you see through a telescope is the same light you see no matter what you use.

It'd probably be easier to see into the past then to travel there. Maybe.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Here's something you might like to think about. Everything you feel, see, hear, sense in any way takes time to happen. It takes time for the sensations to go from the receptor through the nerve and finally to your brain. It takes time for the photons of light from the sun to travel from the sun into our atmosphere to our eyes to the rods and cones to our brain. So in effect, you are actually living a teeny weeny bit in the past if you think about it. By the time your brain has received this message it will be a message from the past. You understand? Even if we could speed it up x10000000^10000000 times you would still be a minutely small bit in the past. You do not live in present time.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
um...no you wouldn't be flying into the past. look at it this way. Light beam A leaves the sun..8 minutes later it hits the earth. So you are seeing a light beam thats 8 minutes old. If you were to fly to the sun you are still going forward in linear time. In your scenario, you would be 1 second older than when you started the trip. And so would the sun...but the light beam, since its moving slower would be 8 minutes old. In all reality seeing a beam of light as a "window into the past" is about the same as looking at an old painting.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Correct. Even walking across the room is in essence time travel. Whatever you do in the physical world requires traversal of both space and time.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
like I said, I'm still researching this idea. It is quite interesting to think about though.
I do know when the Hubble telescope takes a picture of a galaxy 100 light years away, that it is looking into the past a couple billion years...

So if we decided to travel to that galaxy 100 light years away at warp speed would we go back in time or forward in time???

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
like I said, I'm still researching this idea. It is quite interesting to think about though.
I do know when the Hubble telescope takes a picture of a galaxy 100 light years away, that it is looking into the past a couple billion years...

So if we decided to travel to that galaxy 100 light years away at warp speed would we go back in time or forward in time???

You can use space to time travel In physics we learned that time is not consistant it depends on the observer. Someonr traveling at the speed of light time slows down to the person in the ship time runs normally just a slower pace.

Now if you believe its possible to create a worm hole you can travel back in the past. Send a ship across the galaxy make the connection to our solar system and when someone travels thru it they go back in the past, The universe is truly a strange place.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I dont agree with your theorey...

Its kind of like saying, if someone farts on one side of the room and you run tward the fart before it gets to you, you are traveling in time.

Instead of taking 45 seconds to get to you it took 5 seconds.

Light is just sense. Its not time. Because light takes time to travel doesn't mean the actions causing the light are not happening at that very time.

Like when at a baseball game and the hitter hits the ball, you can see it happen but cant hear it. If you were blind and couldn't see it and someone said, he hit it hard! and then the blind guy hears the crack of the bat hitting the ball, he would know that the ball was already hit at the time but that the sound takes time to travel. and where he is when the sounds hit him does not affect when the ball was actually hit, he can move forward and then he will hear it sooner. He can keep moving forward, sitting closer and closer but he can only go so far forward to the time the actual sound is being created. you cant go to the future.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Time is an illusion. Linear time especially. The universe is static if you are all knowing and omnipotent. As there is nothing unknown, there is nothing that can change. To create change, you must create the factor of not knowing something.

For example. Imagine you are watching a movie on a film. You only see/know 1 part of the film at a time. But if you rolled that film out, then the movie is static as you can see it all at the same time. The rate you go through the film is what gives the movie it's "run time".

If in linear time, you have only 1 roll of film. No choice, just a watching of it. But ever read a chose your own adventure book? Where it's not linear, but goes down different paths?

So imagine multiple movie scripts side by side. Each one just almost exactly the same as the one next to it, and so on and so on. You are sitting at the PC, if you raise your left hand, you make a choice and you go down the film where that happens. You raise your right hand, you go down another film etc. These are minor changes, and it's not going to end up in another dimension.

The illusion of linear time comes from the single path you perceive across the universe. Time itself is really nothing more than a dimensional change while in a limited perception. If you rob a store, you'll probably be taking a path that puts you in jail. If you give to a charity, you'll probably be taking a path that leads to a thank you letter. When you want to get a drink out of the fridge, the first thing you do is figure out the path to it. Instantly without thinking really. And then you get up and follow that path.

So if you were to "time travel" to another point from this point, you wouldn't be going to the "past", you would simply be making a rather large jump in dimensions. But if you were to remember the original point, then you would be traveling to a new place, that was like the past, only now has this added factor introduced in. But it would not be your past. It would be the future.

Also, 4D would be the nearest "timelines". Where an object is in multiple places at once. If you were to see all those places at once, that would be 4d. 3D is a bunch of 2d dimensions stacked, 4D is a bunch of 3d objects stacked, etc. And you can go on and on stacking these, but it's really still just opening up a bit on the limited perception.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
you need a gravity pulse drive to go faster than the speed of light.. the ripple that would be produced from such a drive would force the spaceship to skip along like a stone on water , merely pausing long enough for the pulse drive to fire again....

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
To the OP. Light and time are two separate issues. When you turn on a light in your house it takes just a few milliseconds to reach you. By hitting the switch and running at the light bulb you do not travel go back in time you merely close the gap between you and the light source. Time continues as always.

new topics

top topics

join