It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow Jones down again

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

Yeah mainer, but looking at the mountain graph it may not be enough. There was a brief uptick at 3:00, now it's heading back south again. Who knows?

Like I said, I saw wicked swings last week. I'm not predicting anything except the sun will rise tomorrow. It's the only sure thing at this point.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
However any wy you look at it the dow rising 900+ points was good. There is nothing bad with a little optimism. This board can definatly use it.

tide88, I'm sorry, but a 900pt gain on the DJIA yesterday was the furthest thing from "good." It's just as bad as a 700pt one day drop. It's a sign of a sick market and a sick economy. It shows that the market is NOT stable and WILL NOT be stable for a while yet. Nine days of 100pt gains would have been a good sign, but 900pts in 1 day at current levels is ugly.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88

Originally posted by KaginD
reply to post by tide88

Wow. Relax. I wasn't talking about a TREAD. I was talking about a response to a thread that was posted. Try not to put a target on your own back.

It doesnt matter. The market will probably lose 500+ today. So much for my optimism. Good thing I am not currently in the market. Talk about unstable. BTW, I am very relaxed and was mearly pointing out that I was one of those involved in saying the market was up, blah blah blah.. I am not posting anything positive for awhile anymore.

It wasnt your thread so much as it was certain other posters that wanted to tell everyone how wrong and stupid they were. Not naming any names but it sounds like lowlevelmason, so take that as you will.

Positive is good, unfortunately unless you were making money yesterday in the market that wild of a swing isnt good, imo. As alot of other people have pointed out, it is pretty volatile right now, and that keeps me puckered.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I said this elsewhere too: think for a moment how much the financial landscape and policies of the United States (and the World) has changed in a Month's time. The market is not just sick, its crazy, unable to comprehend the new financial world order in such a short time.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I like to relate it to a roller coaster ride in the dark. You just don't know where it is going next.. Really bad for the neck to.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If anyone does not think this is being manipulated by extra-market forces you must be crazy:

[edit on 14-10-2008 by Mainer]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
If anyone does not think this is being manipulated by extra-market forces you must be crazy:

Thats normal, nothing to see there.

It has just been jumping all over the place today, it is craziness.

JSR

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

I do have a possible explanation. cant say its air tight, but, here goes.

all of the people who bought yesterday ( along with the PPT, no one denies that they are active ) were selling to all of the jonny-come-lately that wanted in this morning, and afternoon. after driving down again, those same people ( along with PPT ) are pushing it back up again. I think it will only take a little push to get the money makers to play along.

if so, I would say we close slightly down ( 20, 30, 40 ) or even. then, tomorrow, maybe a slightly up day. then the rest of the week decline.

of course I am pulling estimations from my anal tract, but, hey, its fun to make a guess, right?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Dead cat bounce..

The global financial system WILL collapse completely despite the best attempts to prevent it happening..

Heres what will happen:

1. ALL debt will be completely wiped
2. Everyone will be given an amount of money to start again (for some this will be a windfall, for others it will be a pittance compared to what they have now)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yeah, not surprised at all. Seems people realized that wait, the stocks market fell for a reason....Oh.. Yeah we were panicking. Yeah the market was up 11% yesterday without much news that wasn't already known.

But Nasdaq Is getting a beat down. Almost down more points than the DOW! haha

Nasdaq is down 65 right now! compared to he dow that is down 76. but thats to be expected today with the bail out plan being implemented. Its boosting the finance stocks and the rest of the market is still hanging out the window.

today would have been worse but the government came out and started talkin about implementing the bail out plan to preserve the major rally yesterday. Pretty good timing i would say!

But another odd, very intense day.

But i think we have a struggle still before we get back the the light at the end of the cave. All yesterday was, was going...OH thank god, im not lost i remember seing this on my way in, im going the right direction,

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'd like to attract people's attention to what happened in europe today. Every sector was up, EXEPT the financial sector, which was way way down. This clearly points out that no-one has bought the rescue package, which in turn means that the EU is now powerless in the face of the crisis.
My uptake on it anyway...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
People got so excited yesterday because they thought the worst was over. I don't understand how anyone could think that just because one day we were up when the entire week before Wall Street was flat lining. And THAT is why I don't invest in stocks.. that and I'm broke.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

People got so excited yesterday because they thought the worst was over.

Well, that may be a part of it....

there is also the fact that in the last week...more than $65Billion
was redeemed from retirement funds/401k/IRAs

the major downturn was generated because of the requirement that the accounts requesting redemptions need to be sold ~at any price !
~

panic is developing----> & should continue to increase as the volitility continues (in an uncertain market)

Zen out ! is the correct action...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

reply to post by tide88

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. Please, positive is one of the things that everyone needs lol. Post away. Sorry again, I didn't mean it the way it came off. I didn't even realize what it sounded like till I just read it.

Hey, no problem. Sometimes after I read a post I make it sounds different from how I meant it. Sometimes it is hard to put ones words into writing and making it come across the way you want. I have been guilty of this many times. I think a lot of people dont know what to make of this bailout plan or if it will work. Once it is implemented we should find out how much trouble we are in. From what I hear the banks wont get anything until probably the election has passed. Anyone else have a timeline or info for when the government is going to start to buy equity into the banks?

[edit on 14-10-2008 by tide88]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
[edit on 14-10-2008 by tide88]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

lol, i would say alot of us on here are broke, so it does not matter to us. The stock things where an interesting side issue though.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Broke and getting broker. The shower of extortionists (company) i work is quoted on one of these markets, and as their share price evaporates so might my job, so will probably alot of peoples' jobs. Spreading the "toxic debt" to the prime market. When folk with good credit ratings can no longer afford to repay their debts, through redundancies etc., then we'll see the bottom. It'll be along way down too

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is a post I made on Oct 2nd. :

DIGG ATS

for original
content
more infoA different view on the recent market turns

Throughout the weekend of 09/27, we were bombarded with news stories that Pelosi was all but guaranteeing the passage of the horrendous bailout package. On Monday, as the votes were being cast, it appeared the bill might actually pass. The DOW dropped 777 pts. On Tuesday, with everyone knowing Congress was taking a holiday, and not doing anything, the DOW increased over 300 pt. On Wednesday the Senate announced their intention to pass a similar bill. The DOW dropped again, as it did on Thursday, with the passage of the bill.

It is painfully obvious to me that the markets agree, we are all much better off when Congress does nothing!

I know next to nothing about trading stocks, but, I am able to recognize trends. Monday, 10/13 was Columbus Day, a Federal holiday. A day when Congress and the Government are known to do nothing. The DOW jumps 900 pts???? Tuesday, 10/14, Bush and Paulson announce more plans. The DOW closes down????

For what it's worth.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Australian and Asian markets down too,maybe they will lower interest rates

seriously folks, there is just no confidence right now.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
JPMorgan and Wells Fargo are releasing earnings reports before opening bell tomorrow (Wednesday), along with some airlines and tech companies. It could prove to be an interesting day.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join