It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary Queen of Scots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Mary Queen of Scots

news.bbc.co.uk

A Nationalist MSP has called for the remains of Mary Queen of Scots to be returned to Scotland.

"She [Mary Queen of Scots] was an iconic historical Scots figure and ultimately the victim of English plotting," Ms Grahame said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Get over it, Scotland. It's not our fault we executed all your national heroes.

I can just picture the Romans reaching Scotland:

Proto-Scot: "Ye cannae come o'oer here, and c'nquer us, eh! This is Scotl'nd, eh! We're proud o' what we gut, ye ken!"
Roman Consul: "Yeeeess, well, what do you have over there?"
Proto-Scot: "Eh? O', er, we got plentae o' haggis. Sheeps, aye we go' mebbe a dozen sheeps."
Roman Consul: "Really...what is the land like?"
Proto-Scot: "T' land? Och aye weel, the land innae like yer silly Southern pansy land, 'tis more like...man's land, ya ken?"
Roman Consul: "You mean it won't support a non-oat crop?"
Proto-Scot: "Weel, aye, but oats 's a fude fer real men, eh?"
Roman Consul: "And the weather?"
Proto-Scot: "Och aye, weel the wet'er's as bonnie as the day is long, eh? Got ourselves all kinds o' wet'er in Scotland, ya ken. We got light drizzle, heavy drizzle, medium drizzle, ach, we git it all! We ev'n git ah weird yello' disc in t' sky on special oc'asions, ya ken? Makes the ice on ma woman's teets thaw a treet, eh!"
Roman Consul: "Hmmm yes, of course. I think we'll build Hadrian's wall right here..."
Proto-Scot: "Whut? Hang onna minnaet, thas nae fair!"
Roman Consul: "Good day to you, my good barbarian, good day!"
Proto-Scot: "Och, cam on, 's cold o'oer heer and I cannae afford any pants!"

[the sound of hasty building work drowns out any further protests]

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Mary Queen of Scots

news.bbc.co.uk

A Nationalist MSP has called for the remains of Mary Queen of Scots to be returned to Scotland.

"She [Mary Queen of Scots] was an iconic historical Scots figure and ultimately the victim of English plotting," Ms Grahame said.

A victim of English plotting? That seems such an odd thing to say. Perhaps it's just me, that reads as if she was an innocent party not involved in her own conspiracies and plotting. Despite being English myself, I've no emotional involvement in this - certainly not an anti-Scots or anti-Catholic stance - as it's a 400-year-old story.

Also, history aside, if a woman was buried somewhere on the instructions of her son, then I think that's something to be respected unless there were pre-death instructions. I don't understand the difference between this happening in 1587 and 2007. It seems weird to me that someone would undermine this to make an nationalist point. She might have been an icon but she was also someone's mother and her son made the decision.

It's not as if it's an ignoble burial. She's buried in Westminster Abbey, where some of the biggest Royal figures in both English and Scottish history are buried. Much of the background to Mary's story is that she made a claim to the English throne, so what's the problem with her being buried in the place, at that particular time in history, the most auspicious of Royals were buried, even if that place is in England? If her body was dumped around the back of some mediaeval equivalent of a KFC, then I could understand it.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Man’s cruelty to man (or woman) was never funnier.

www.youtube.com...

If the Scot’s want the remains of the old girl back, what’s the fuss?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Get over it, Scotland. It's not our fault we executed all your national heroes. I can just picture the Romans reaching Scotland:

There was no Scotland in Roman times. I think you need a history lesson.

Pritani/Britannia from which comes the Welsh "Prydain" and hence the English word "Britain"

The vast majority of Hadrians Wall is in England - it starts at Newcastle

Blind arrogance is one of the traits that so endears the English to the rest of the world lol

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dj howls

Get over it, Scotland. It's not our fault we executed all your national heroes. I can just picture the Romans reaching Scotland:

There was no Scotland in Roman times. I think you need a history lesson.

Pritani/Britannia from which comes the Welsh "Prydain" and hence the English word "Britain"

The vast majority of Hadrians Wall is in England - it starts at Newcastle

Blind arrogance is one of the traits that so endears the English to the rest of the world lol

I know just fine how it was, hence the "Proto-Scot". This was for the benefit of people who didn't know what the situation was. Aka, it was a joke.

And unfounded patriotism is one of the less endearing traits of the Scottish...despite the fact I have never been there, I've had plenty of Scots tell me how great the Motherland is. But not so great they can't stay there.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

how about you go boil your head yo clueless ass!

(god i really really hate anti scottish centements!! we dont all hate the english!!!)

i say leave her be!, is their really any point digging her up after all this time?? Ive said this in a few other posts, Their are far more important things to be worried about with the world than where some person got killed and buerried over 200 years ago!.

by the way, i coudl quite easy start a scotland / england comparrision chart, which i can make with conviction, as ive stayed in england for 3 years now and experienced both sides of the coin, and i can assure you, scotland is a much better country to live in, government, law and health wise... but i wont go into that nor will i post the many facts which proove this. i could say your comments are just an artifact of englands very poor school system, but i wont go their!
)
btw :: dj hows, i dont know if this was maybe just a poor education system i was taught in, but we were always led to believe that when romans got to scotland they basicly got beat, and they built hadrians wall to keep us in ! (i dont know how much truth their is to it, like i said.. more important things!...Go UK!)

[edit on 13-10-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

(god i really really hate anti scottish centements!! we dont all hate the english!!!)

Exactly! It's the inflammatory language used by this silly, irresponsible SNP prat that is the problem.

After all, can't we all just get along and gang up on the French?

[edit on 13-10-2008 by C.C.Benjamin]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
can you spell troll CC, your doing a good job?

you dont know me, if you did, you woudl know im proud to be scottis and also proud to be from the uk, hating english means hating alot of people close to me, not only that, i wouldnt vote for SNP is you payed me! never have and never would.

im all for ganging up on the french!! the "cant we get along" is somethgin ive been trying to tell my friends in both sides for ages now! scotland vs england is a made up concept which is pushed on the people of uk by the tabaloids. (if you dont believ its teh tabloids fault, go buy the scottish sun and the english sun on the same day, one will have storys about how much scotland hate the english, and the other will have the absolute opposite, its the main reason i dont read any tabaloids now,, their only good for arse wipeage when theirs no bog roll!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Awesome CC!

I'm Scottish and proud but this thread cheered me up on a drizzly Glasgow Monday morning!

The SNP can be really childish at times!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

i say leave her be!, is their really any point digging her up after all this time?? Ive said this in a few other posts, Their are far more important things to be worried about with the world than where some person got killed and buerried over 200 years ago!.

I agree. This happened 400 years ago and Hadrian's wall the best part of 2000 years ago. If someone wants to carry a grudge over from many, many, many years before they were even born then, whilst they're welcome to do so, it's a very, very bizarre thing to do.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Exactly! It's the inflammatory language used by this silly, irresponsible SNP prat that is the problem.

After all, can't we all just get along and gang up on the French?

[edit on 13-10-2008 by C.C.Benjamin]

Isn't part of this story the fact that Mary Queen of Scots was ganging up with the French?

I agree with the point about the SNP guy being a prat. This story is unnecessarily ghoulish.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Uh oh,

Just what we need, some guy watched braveheart and is now attempting to stoke up even more nationalism in scotland, and even more dangerously - catholic nationalism. We dont need anymore of this nonesense thanks.

Dont make us reanimate Edward the Firsts corpse boys. You wouldnt want that.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Always someone wants to use the past to give them their 15 mins of fame, does anyone really want to open this Great Ladies tomb and move her anywhere? apart from this Politician that is?

I met a guy not long ago, from upstate NY near Syracuse, he had the idea that Scotland and Wales where occupied countries, in fact all you have is a sign on the appropriate roads saying welcome to Scotland or welcome to Wales, most people don't even think about them as different countries, and almost everyone has a relative or two from either country, as well as people from those countries having relatives in England.

Again this lady is probably just stirring up something to get attention on something else, also she sounds like a feminist, so she wouldn't be asking for this if it was William of Scots or David of Wales.

If the whole Scottish independence thing went to a referendum tomorrow, I am almost 99% certain Scotland would be a independent country, would it be a sovereign nation? who is in line to the throne of Scotland? anyone know?

As far as i know there isnt, but are there any treaties or constitution for a republic? I would love to see three independent countries, but i also believe we should keep a union if possible, so none of the countries stand alone in an emergency.

British history is a very complicated thing, a violent and nasty history at that, but at the same time, its a history which made Great Britain Great, as well as being one of the oldest histories in the World.

I dont see myself as an English man, I am British and always shall be, even if there is a split, both Scotland and Wales are full of fantastic people.

As for what this politician wants, it will never happen.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dj howls

Why it that when English people display any sort of national pride at all it is labelled 'arrogance' yet we are expected to accept the self same trait in other nationalities.

Displays of Welsh, Scottish and Irish pride, (or arrogance depending on viewpoint), are actively encouraged.

Personally I find that particular attitude most hypocritical and possibly displaying a certain amount of envy and jealousy!

On thread; she collaborated with The French, she paid the price.
Heroine?
Methinks not, just another failed politician.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
sounds like everyone here is from the United Kingdom....
so maybe one of yous will be able to answer a question.

what are the chances that Mary isn't buried there? that well, maybe she wasn't beheaded and instead skirted off to some remote island somewhere to live out her years?
was the execution public?
was there a public veiwing of the remains?
trustworthy witnesses that yes, she was killed?

just wondering....

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I think there is conclusive evidence that Mary was executed and did not live out her life elsewhere.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.marie-stuart.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Why it that when English people display any sort of national pride at all it is labelled 'arrogance' yet we are expected to accept the self same trait in other nationalities.

Displays of Welsh, Scottish and Irish pride, (or arrogance depending on viewpoint), are actively encouraged.

I hear you. It's a crime to be a forward-thinking, women's right's granting, slave-emancipating, Nazi-opposing, culture-spreading Englishman.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin

If the whole Scottish independence thing went to a referendum tomorrow, I am almost 99% certain Scotland would be a independent country

What are you basing that on?

Originally posted by Freeborn

I think there is conclusive evidence that Mary was executed and did not live out her life elsewhere.

LMAO Freeborn

Well, this is more useless nationalism from the SNP. During complete global economic freefall some idiot wants to move Mary Queen of Scots' body. Well done! The SNP are a complete joke. But they do brighten up a crappy Glasgow Monday.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman

Awesome CC!

I'm Scottish and proud but this thread cheered me up on a drizzly Glasgow Monday morning!

The SNP can be really childish at times!

Thank you! This is what I'm talking about.

It's a friendly dig in the ribs, a poke at one's foibles. Hell, the English get it plenty, and we don't mind. We've been next to each other for longer than most nations have existed, so it's far too long in the tooth to worry about it now.

Or so think the English bastards!

top topics

join