It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abvovetopsecret.com banner

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I searched and didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet. Is there a reason for the glaring misspelling of abovetopsecret in the vertical banners to the left and right of the forum?

Abvovetopsecret...

There is no way I am the only one to notice this...

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Ionized]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Vertical banners ?

Got a screen shot?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
He means the sideways banners on the side of the page that now read: ABVOVETOPSECRET.

Well spotted.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I noticed that, too.

I can see them on my PC, but not on my laptop. That's the second spelling mistake found today.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I'm not seeing them.

ATS fills the whole screen for me. What screen size are you guys using? Resolution? etc.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

1440x900.

You don't see the translucent blue banners on the sides of the posts?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
VERRRY OBSVERVANT!

i see them as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Stretch your window to the right and left - the vertical strips are dark blue and on both sides of the site page...

EDIT: I see you've got it, Ionized - thanks!

[edit on 10/10/2008 by Tadarida]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

1440x900.

You don't see the translucent blue banners on the sides of the posts?

Ahh... I see. Nope I don't see the banners normally.

I'm on a 21 inch flatscreen that's two years old.

I tried bumping up the resolution and I saw them briefly before the screen flashed, went all weird and reverted back to 1024x768.

( I thought that was still the standard?
)

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Maybe on PCs, I'm a Mac snob.
But you can see it on the screenshots other helpful members provided.

Now what?

[edit on 10/10/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Hey, off topic, but a 2 year old 21" should easily display higher resolutions. If your video card let you go higher, then the video card also supports higher. Not sure why yours would blink back to previous setting unless you forgot to hit the OK button on the 15 second timer pop up... Hard to troubleshoot computer issues without being at the computer however, so good luck!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Wow.

I've been missing out.

I wonder what other sites I haven't seen in their full glory?

Is there a "web surfing standard" out there for screen settings?

As you know the Overlord is working on a new site design and I'm sure he will fix this pronto.

Of course, there ought to be some kind of punishment for the CEO misspelling the company name.

Maybe a billion dollar bailout is in order.

Somebody call Paulson!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

You have been missing out.

Can you see the Abvatars?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Vertical banners ?

Got a screen shot?

You can see the sidebar banners via a widescreen monitor.

And yes its ABVOVETOPSECRET.COM

Never noticed it myself cuz I ignore sidebars, if they have something in them or are just blank.

If you have a standard 4:3 monitor, doesnt matter what your video card can spit out in resolution. The image will still be 4:3. The video card knows your monitor aspect ratio for its screen and will resize the input so that it fits the screen, just like some movies that are modified and "formated to fit the screen"

Wish all websties now would have their layouts for widescreen. 4:3 is so outdated and will be a thing of the past come February 17, 2009, when officialy all analog tv broadcasting which is 4:3, goes into the history books and HDTV digital broadcast tv takes over with its awsome 16:9 aspect ratio..WIDESCREEN!! YA BABY!!!

Websites could code their layouts so they detect the resolution of the users monitor and adjust accordingly for 4:3 or 16:9. But I think that will be pointless once widescreen tv and pc monitors are the majority in use.

The widescreen is already a majority on laptops.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 10-10-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Hey, and if you get a bailout, send some my way as a reward, since I'm $65,000.00 in debt from going to college! Hooray for indentured servitude...

edit: my monitor is not really a widescreen, my res is set at 1280 X 1024

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Ionized]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

Thats why you see only the forum and not the sidebar content on each side of the forum layout. Its like watching a widescreen TV and a standard 4:3 image comes on, there will be two sidebars on the left and right to fill in the blank area.

On a standard 4:3 screen, you wont see these sidebars since the main content, in this case the ATS forum, is coded so that if its viewed on a standard 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, the forum layout "fills the screen" with no sidebars.

On a 16:9 wide, the layout is not coded so that it widens out to fill the width of the widescreen, so there are the sidebars to fill in with something, or there would be the black sidebars as a result.

Its the opposte of watching a widescreen 16:9 movie on a 4:3 screen in letterbox, where you have black bars at the top and bottom.

Here is a good explanation to it all at Wiki.

Aspect Ratio Explained

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I must now interject my opinion: widescreen computer monitors suck.

Tell me, what do you use more: the vertical scroll-bar, for scrolling up/down, or horizontal scrollbars, when viewing webpages? So, do you want a taller screen, or a wider screen?

'Widescreen' monitors would be better termed 'shortscreen', as they usually have the same horizontal pixel-count as a 4:3 aspect ratio screen, just fewer vertical pixels.

This allows the manufacturers to advertise 17" or 21" widescreens, when measured diagonally, that have a much lower total MegaPixel count (and thus, manufacturing cost) than a 4:3 aspect ratio screen with the same diagonal measurement. That Pythagoras thing, ya know.

For anything other than viewing movies, widescreen LCDs are a scam, and (dare I say it), a conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
As someone (I forget who) mentioned, this is spelling mistake #2 of the day, both involving the side banners. See this thread.

Odd.

EDIT: I have to disagree with Ian on this one. I just got a new (to me) 21-inch widescreen, and I love all the space I have to open windows next to each other without missing any content. Of course, like SDog, I'm a Mac snob

[edit on 10/10/08 by americandingbat]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join