It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dow dropping 250 pts 1 min after opening

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

4 or 5 o'clock on the east coast

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

4 PM EDT, 10 PM Ireland time :-)

Sorry for the one liner

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by o22a6ar
reply to post by Truther

4 or 5 o'clock on the east coast

make it 4 pm or 4:06-4:07 pm to be exact

you can follow after hours trading on bloomberg click stock markets then click future's and look for DJIA

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It is interesting - and worrisome - to watch the DOW rise and fall, but isn't the point at where it's closes the most important thing?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
reply to post by Truther

4 PM EDT, 10 PM Ireland time :-)

Sorry for the one liner

Thanks guys really appreciate it

What do you guys see happening by 4oclock closing bell? Do you reckon the Dow could drop much more?

JSR

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
It is interesting - and worrisome - to watch the DOW rise and fall, but isn't the point at where it's closes the most important thing?

yea...but that is like saying the only important part of a baseball game is the final score. but watching the game is the fun part.........

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

Yes i think so also, if it stays around -500 mark til the closing bell, i think tommorow morning will be quite interesting to see how it opens again, could drop like a sake of spuds..

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The last hour of trading is usually the most volatile depending on the traders’ decision on whether or not to hold a position overnight . . . basically if they continue to sell, the market will continue to drop. If they hold, or buy, it will provide a last hour of stability.

Given the nature of the market right now, I’d be wagering that there won’t be too many people wanting to hold their position open while Europe and Asian markets shuffle through the global economic ruins.

Should be an interesting last hour.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by crawgator406

Speaking of bank runs and cash on hand -
www.abovetopsecret.com...

seemed to me this was a way to prevent that from happening ? If there's no longer a technical requirement to have cash on hand then it's a simple case of banks stating "sorry, we're out right now" and not needing to fully close ? If I'm correct, electronic transactions can still be processed even if there's no hard cash ?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me what the approximate value of the current 5.25% Dow Jones drop is - in terms of a dollar value. I am telling people the drop of 5% and they are looking at me blankly as if to say "so what, it's only 5%.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You guys should learn about Elliot Wave Theory and Technical Analysis and take a look at the charts. We are in a Wave 3 of 3 regardless of any fundamentals in the Market, this is pretty much expected.

a 3rd wave down, then a 4 wave up, then down again to complete wave 5. The 3rd wave down is the most dramatic. When we hit the bottom of the 5th wave look for buying opportunities, there will be plenty.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Interesting CEO of Lehman Bros testimony is on CNBC right now and the stocks are back to dropping.

DO you think the talking heads in the media will ever figure out that they can be so much a part of the problem, that sometimes it's best for them to just shut up??

Nah, probably not

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
if we stay above the 9700, we'll be ok.

if it breaks the 9700.....its a free fall. this dip will be telling.........

It's not staying above it by much right now.

Index Value: 9,773.66
Trade Time: 12:46PM ET
Change: 551.72 (5.34%)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Umm, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. The drops in the equities markets everyone is talking about here. Oil has broke below 90/brl. I don't follow currencies that much but the move in the dollar/yen and the dollar index seem realy anomolous as well.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I've been reading ATS for a while now, and watching people say the economy WILL collapse and what I found the most interesting was the people who said the doom and gloomers were nuts, they need to go to school and get some economics 101, etc. Well, I guess the doom and gloomers were right. Not that that makes me feel any better. In fact, I never really worried about any of this until today. I didn't even worry last week when it dropped 777 points. Now I'm worried.

I am a single mom living paycheck to paycheck. Well today I made a call I didn't expect to make. I called my ex mother in law. She's taking me to the grocery store today to stock up. I paid my rent and all my utilities on Friday so that leaves me with very little to get through until next payday. If this drop keeps up prices may go through the roof. I can't have that. Thanks to my ex mother in law helping me to stock up I have a few less things to worry about now.

I think the worst is over for today, I don't see it going down much more. It's hovering around -500. Let's see what tomorrow brings shall we. At least I will have food and supplies if sh*t does hit the fan tomorrow!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The dow has just dropped to -600 this is crazy

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It was -600 earlier today... then up to -300 now back to -600... pretty wild.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Im just waiting fo it to break the 9700 mark. its eminent.

this could spell a very bleek close.. im wondering if were going to break the 777 on last monday.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The DOW has officially dropped down to the 600 mark and is fluctuating around there now. I sincerely hope that later in the day it rebounds, but looking at the current trend, I do not see a substantial comeback.

For whoever thinks that the DOW dropping below 10k or even 6k is a good idea, because it will "correct" the markets and the currency's value, please reconsider that view. That is like saying, chemotherapy is good because, even though it may end up killing you, it could also wipe out the cancer with you still barely alive. Would it not be better if you did not have to deal with the cancer at all? Is not the Federal Reserve and the government's heavy-handed interventionism in the economy our cancer, with the housing markets and the DOW showing only the symptoms? Perhaps a currency printed by Congress, backed by gold, and a government who actually made large businesses honest on their balance sheets would not have landed us in this mess. Something to consider.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It is so hard to tell at this point, with only two hours to go.

This is undoubtedly the worst roller coaster ride ever.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join