It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I listened to him and can't help but feel disgusted.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
A friend on mine in one of my math classes is a Muslim. He isn't a muslim only by name, he follows his religion to a tee.

He kept talkin about how he has to pray 5 times a day and before each prayer he needs to wash his face 3 time, hands 3 times, wash his nose, wash his ears, wash his mouth, wsh his arms up to his elbows, wsh his ankles or feet, and then he could pray.

He said that if you used the bathroom or even passed gas then you would have to do this all over again before he prayed again.

I was fine with all that but when he started talking about marriage then it started bothering me.....

A muslim man can have up to 4 wives and he had asked his dad why he didn't.....

his dad replied that "its a pain" because you have to buy them all equal amounts of stuff. each a house or a car.

My friend said that when he gets married he will find a girl, but if he doesn't find a girl he will probably marry his first cousin!!!

His mom's sister's child.....his first cousin.....!!!!!

It is almost like incest......

When I asked him about rights that his mom has he replied that .... " muslim women have alot of rights" and how the world will be muslim and unite yet he talks about how the muslim religion is very tolerant of other religions.

I find this that I heard sick and hypocritical.

I feel that the whole muslim religion was a ploy by the devil to cause the world to go against each other and It was created to take advantage of women and give men all the power. It is a very unfair religion.

My question is does anyone else feel this way?

am I the only one here? I tried to listen and I was open and gave him a chance but I can't help but to not life their religion at all and think it's bogus.

Let me know what you think.

later,

Reason

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by REASON
I feel that the whole muslim religion was a ploy by the devil to cause the world to go against each other and It was created to take advantage of women and give men all the power. It is a very unfair religion.

Wouldn't all religions fall into that catagory?

My question is does anyone else feel this way?
am I the only one here? I tried to listen and I was open and gave him a chance but I can't help but to not life their religion at all and think it's bogus.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but before you condem any belief system you should get more then one individuals take on it.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yes a muslim man can have multiple wives..but the koran says he has to treat them all equally in all aspects, that's why many don't do it now.

Yes muslims can marry their cousins..however do understand 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins are all called cousins. they don't categorize them as we do here...don't know what kind of family that kid comes from..but every muslim family I have known, 1st cousins relations is discouraged...1st cousins are considered more like brothers and sisters.

it is this kind of thinking that creates hatred, without fully understanding how they think and their culture, we are quick to form conclusions that are not necessarily true.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by REASON

Reason

Why does everything have to point to a "devil"?

All religious fanatics are wackos. The devil, or other entity would have nothing to do with it. Instead, why don't they all use common sense, and quit trying to blame otherworldy and mythical beings.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Worldwatcher and Jonna both make fantastic points. Obviously what your friend told you upset you. You wouldn't have posted that here if it didn't. But remember, your friend is not a muslim cleric, and may have some incorrect interpretations. If you can, talk to more people, and do some reading on the net and some books to form a well educated opinion. Following that, if you still felt the same way, you could probably debate circles around most of the people who don't.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I knew a guy in school when I was a kid who wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, and he thought that if he hid under a table when he drunk alcohol God/Allah/whatever wouldn't see him. True story.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
All religious fanatics are wackos. The devil, or other entity would have nothing to do with it. Instead, why don't they all use common sense, and quit trying to blame otherworldy and mythical beings.

Your concept of "common" sense doesn't really fit in with the meaning of the two words. Considering over 4 billion people throughout the world practice a religion, I would say to you, use common sense, and investigate before condemning.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq

Why does everything have to point to a "devil"?

Here-here!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just try to remember not to judge people because your views of what is right and wrong should not be imposed on another.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Whats the problem? Good hygine is a very good thing. Islam is a great religion and would not be so popular world wide if it were not. I think it is honorable that someone can be that commited to their religion. Very few Christians have that much devotion.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This type of misunderstanding is bound to happen with the cross-pollenization of cultures. Some don't eat pork which I find foolish. Some don't eat beef, which I consider sacrelige.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Some don't eat beef, which I consider sacrelige.

So what's that you say? If I believe in your religion god will protect me and love me, I will be reunited with everyone that I have lost in life and never be for wanting. That sounds great! WHAT!!! NO STEAK!!! The hell with that!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Your concept of "common" sense doesn't really fit in with the meaning of the two words. Considering over 4 billion people throughout the world practice a religion, I would say to you, use common sense, and investigate before condemning.

Who condemned anything?

And yes, I say common sense takes precedence in this case. There is always some excuse why people act a certain way, especially when what they are doing is unjustified, or just plain wacky. They will say' the devil made me do it', or, 'my god allows this, or forbids that', or they blame it on their childhood, or ADHD.

People who kill abortion doctors are justified in their own minds of what they are doing is right. In the name of God and all. More recently, with the cases against homosexual relationships.

Abraham was going to kill his own son, because god told him to? Get real.

4 billion people practice religion? Sure, could be true. But those 4 billion are not all Christian, Muslim or Jew. That is clearly a Christian/Muslim or Jewish belief system (representing about 2.3 billion people). The other 3 billion are on totally different sytems, so it is rather unfair to believe that they would also point the finger at the ever elusive 'devil' as the cause of the world's woes.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by nathraq]

ET3

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

And more religious BS

Ydont you argue your religions in the BTS area?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Listening to the Christians bash the Muslims is like hearing drunks bad mouth junkies.

Both are using crutches its just one is more obvious.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ET3

And more religious BS

Ydont you argue your religions in the BTS area?

Is this your new crusade today? You'll go horse screaming at the monitor you know.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Jonna: Is this your new crusade today? You'll go horse screaming at the monitor you know.

Horse, is there a religion that doesn't eat horse?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
I knew a guy in school when I was a kid who wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, and he thought that if he hid under a table when he drunk alcohol God/Allah/whatever wouldn't see him. True story.

I thought when I was grade 3 if I farted out loud I could hide under my desk and no one would see me... wrong.
I laugh now, but believe me I didn't then.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

It was created to take advantage of women and give men all the power.

Certain forms of christianity also take advantage of women and give all power to men. In the form of christianity I was raised under women are not allowed to wear pants/jewlery/nail polish/make-up. They cannot become preachers-they cannot speak from the pulpit. The only time they are allowed to come into the pulpit is to serve the preachers water and what not.

They also teach young girls like myself that the man is the head and the wife has to yield to his sexual urges no matter how she feels. Women are not allowed to use contraception...many of the married women are forced to have baby after baby until their bodies are so wrecked they have to have hysterectomies. My mother is a nurse and she would often pull the women aside and tell them to stop the madness!!! But, in that climate of oppression there was really nothing that can be done. The bible is used out of context to make women the servants of their husbands.

I don't want the Church of God in Christ to seem all bad. There are some good things about the Church, but for the sake of this thread, I just wanted to point out that there are some christians in america that oppress women as well. I was raised around christianity and Islam and I found Islam to be far less oppressive than the brand of christianity I was exposed to. But Islam is oppressive too. As a woman I wouldn't submit to either religion. I classify myself as a follower of the teachings of christ, but I don't subscribe to any religion.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The bible is used out of context to make women the servants of their husbands.

Yes, time and time again! Saphronia, I'm happy to say I don't subscribe to those forms of Christianity you described. I actually go to a church where the founder and preacher is a woman. I'm also sorry to hear you were exposed to such a convoluted form of Christianity. You say you follow the teachings of Jesus. That's what Christianity is supposed to be, not church mandated doctrine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join