It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tithing Lie

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Hello Komodo

i have mentioned this on other posts.

during a "committee" meeting at a methodist chapel, they were discussing funds for repairs etc. the collection was minimal as just a handful of people attended. The minister stated to everyone, that out of any funds his wages were to come first.

sorry, but the Bible clearly states that anything going to a minister would be a gift and that the apostles worked so that wherever they sayed they wouldnt be a burden on the finances of the average jo and mrs jo

That said, its been some time since we gave anything. I guess at times you are waiting for a handwritten letter from God to tell you your next move. (im an idiot at times)

david

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

In all my years of being a Believer, and having searched through various denominations, I have only come across ONE church that does not ask for Tithes.
They believe that because they do what the Lord tells them, the money they need to do what they are instructed to do will be there at the appointed time.

And it always is!

This is a World Wide Church, the ladies wear blue dresses and have long hair. Many people confuse them with the Mormon belief system.

I attend the services, yet cannot remember the correct name as we use the shortened version.
Church of the Latter Day... (Spaardereen is the name I know them as)

The key to finding the kind of peace and contentment through faith that I finally found is to look for the "group" who's women wear the blue dresses.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

I am not one to believe in conspiracies, but I do feel there is something to the Mayan calender ending on 12-21-2012. The difference between me and a lot of others is what I think could happen on that date as opposed to what they believe.

I won't say that the date in question will have anything of consequence happening but I do believe that an age of Aquarius will take place. I feel that once mankind finds itself on the verge of losing itself and all material possession they will go back to a time from our beginning when we were selfless and not selfish. Revival in a big way will happen and Gods true lessons will be born in our hearts. I can't say that I am one of those holly rollers who believe every word of the Bible but I can say that I believe in what the message of the cross represents. The message is love and sacrifice even in times of trouble. To lose ones self is to gain the world. To covet the worlds possessions is to die truly alone.

No matter what, I have hope for much of mankind. We all have not found true fulfillment but in time many of us will find it and chose it.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Tithing was a mandate given to the Jews, not to the Christians. Most of the so-called current Christian practices stem from Judaism. (or from paganistic rituals/practices)

Christians are instructed to give to those in need but there's no dollar amount set for the giving. The giving is not even specified AS dollars-could be clothes, food, shelter, your time, etc.

I avoid organized religions for this reason as well as all the other non-scriptural practices in which they engage.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Agree with Whitewave here.

We are instructed to give to the poor...be charitable.

Yes..no dollar amount or percentage is spoken about in the New Testament. What we are instructed to give is first fruits to the Lord. Not a dollar amount.

I too am skeptical about organized religion or many preachers in this regard. So many of them speak from Olde Testament bondage...in many things.

I am not under the bondage of the Olde Testament.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I offer a new candidate for the bane of humankind--the root of all evil. It is predatory competition. It is what we are taught to do from our youngest years, to always beat someone else in competition for something ranging from praise of others to money.

We need to begin judging success on how everyone benefits collectively, how effective cooperation is. Such competition can be for things like decent living standards for everyone on the planet and justice for all. There are also many goals in science that are valuable like wiping out cancer and developing cheaper, cleaner energy sources.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Ah, yes, someone else who "gets it", good to know I'm not alone, however, I betcha there are some things we do not agree on at all. I believe that we should bless those who curse us, feed and clothe our enemies, love no matter what the cost. Now I got to say, I don't follow my beliefs that much at all, I wish I did though, yah yah, I know, I'm the only person stopping me.

The thing is, it's so hard to "witness" (I hate using Christianese, slang/lingo) to people about the TRUTH when there is so many lies out there.

Tithing is necessary to the maintanance and growth of your church. True "preachers" really need your help..... they sacrifice to the max. That said.... first time I read a Bible I went to a local church and saw the "preacher" peeling off twenties from a fresh wad of bills just taken from the "offering plates" and passing them out to his "friends". He freaked when he saw that I had seen what he did.... said something like "Oh, they did some work on the church". Needless to say I did not go back to that "church".

You have it "right"...... bless don't curse, feed and clothe the needy, love your enemies and............. you really do need to "tithe". Tithe where you feel moved to do so. Give to a family that you know need help..... do it anonymously. You don't HAVE to put your money in a church plate to be "tithing". Tithing is like the other things you mentioned above that should be done...... if you do them "something" will happen. Try it.

"Chistianese" is used by the confused who do not know the "truths" that are embedded within Scripture. If you have "insight" you will be able to preach without using "christianese".

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
By what I hear, tithing is to pay for new temples to be built and to help pay for the missionaries going out into the field. I am an active member of my church, and do tithe when I get the money. I still have 3 bucks I need to give to my bishop. The Church is also very active in the paranormal, especially the Roman-Catholic. I am glad that I am a part of the Church, and I have testimony of it. See you in other posts.

Dragonfriend

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join