It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hawk helicopters crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Black Hawk helicopters crash

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print By staff writers and wires | October 05, 2008
TWO US Black Hawk helicopters crashed in northern Baghdad's Sunni district of Adhamiyah today.

At least one Iraqi army soldier was killed and four people, including two US soldiers, were wounded, the spokesman, Lieutenant Patrick Evans, said.

"Two UH-60 Black Hawks have crashed while landing at Combat Outpost Ford in Adhamiyah (northern Baghdad) about 8:55pm (4.55am AEDT)," Evans said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Electromagnetic War

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I know Black Hawks are prone to crashing but 2 at the same time and they don't suspect any enemy fire? A coincidence like this must be quite rare barring any weather phenomena which aren't mentioned.

Maybe the insurgents have gotten hold of some of the electromagnetic weapons that are rumoured to be in use in Iraq.

A Reuters television cameraman in the Sha'ab district of northern Baghdad, near Adhamiya, said he saw two helicopters circling overhead.

The engine of one of them made a thudding sound as it lost altitude and crashed.

The cameraman said he heard an explosion after the impact, followed by the sound of shooting.
Iraqi police confirmed the crash.

Sounds like an ambush to me.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's standard to deny that it was enemy fire at first. Because there are any number of reasons why helicopters may crash. They don't want to jump to the conclusion that it WAS until they have some evidence that it was. The best description of a helicopter is that it's a million parts all working together and trying to fly off in a million directions.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Agreed, but unless there actually was enemy fire or the helicopters crashed into one another it seems very unlikely for them both to get mechanical problems at the same time.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Agreed, but it has happened before. The Blackhawk for years had problems with radio towers of all things. The signal from the tower in the early years jammed their instruments, causing several crashes. So there have been normal everyday things that caused problems for the UH-60s in the past.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

One can have a mechanical failure or pilot error and can collide with the other aircraft.

The AF lost two 60's at Nellis like that some years ago.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It's standard to deny that it was enemy fire at first. Because there are any number of reasons why helicopters may crash. They don't want to jump to the conclusion that it WAS until they have some evidence that it was. The best description of a helicopter is that it's a million parts all working together and trying to fly off in a million directions.

yes, my incle flys airplanes and i asked him when i was a child about helicopters. he said it was against his principal to fly a machine that is trying in hundreds of ways to sling itself to pieces...LOL

but this is still an awful big coincidence, i suspect foul play of some sort.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's being reported as a collision on landing now. If one was trying to land and the other was hovering nearby the second could have lost the "picture" if the first one kicked up a lot of sand and dust, and drifted down into the first one.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Helicopters are tricky business. There are thousands of variables to inhibit sucha craft, but they do have great benefits for military and rescue operations compared to conventional planes. Dust in the way, like stated, or any interference could have led to this.

My grandfather worked on Helicopters in Vietnam, I bet he had migraines daily.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
but this is still an awful big coincidence, i suspect foul play of some sort.

Ever try to land a helicopter in a desert environment? They have brown-outs and are unable to see the ground, let alone the other helicopter next to them. The US has had several helicopters crash because of this.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan
Maybe the insurgents have gotten hold of some of the electromagnetic weapons that are rumoured to be in use in Iraq.

?

Helicopters crash and you leap to that conclusion? What's next?

Oh you said Tom's mom lost her job last week? Maybe the South Koreans have been testing on aliens then!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

lol, no i have never tried to land a helicopter in the desert. i understand better now thanks to your reply, but you didn't have to be so sharp about it.

but annyway, i do see your point.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here's a great pic of a helicopter hovering in the desert area. It's at a fairly high altitude, and look at all the dust it's kicking up.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Great pic.

I can certainly understand the difficulties of flying helicopters ordinarily as a mate is a pilot and I get all the stories. Never seen one landing in a desert environment though.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperViking
?

Helicopters crash and you leap to that conclusion? What's next?

Oh you said Tom's mom lost her job last week? Maybe the South Koreans have been testing on aliens then!

Who is Tom and why do you feel the need to bring it to this thread?

I suggest you read Democrat Down by MS Kiefer if you want to see why I bring this up as a mere possibility (not a conclusion).

new topics

top topics

join