It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussing conspiracy in your personal life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I was fired from a "Christian school" for teaching history from a non-PC perpective. I have had my compter files seized by the FBI while we were out. My wife was visited by the FBI, State police and ATF after I left the country for receiving threatening phone calls after my videos on 911 came out. When I came back, I was the only passenger from my flight subjected to intensive grilling and luggage searches. I was later asked to meet with the same three agents who visited my wife while I was gone to make sure I wasn't overseas working with "the terrorists." They were pleasant and haven't bothered me in 15 months now.

I have lost many of my former friends since providing proof of internal complicity in the 911 planning and operation...

In sum, telling the truth in this country can come with a heavy price. Is it still worth it?? Yes. Heck, I haven't suffered 1/10th of what some of our patriot forefathers went through to give us this nation in the first place.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I totally feel for you, after I had someone close to me call a Bug Sweeping Service to look in their office for bugs during a legal proceeding, and while not finding bugs, but finding possible evidence of tampering, I feel that I have always been a paranoid person.

It seems most people in Business, while educated, cannot see my desire to always have some of my money in gold in my house in a safe in times of financial disaster. Since the Fed Reserve can only pay something like 60c for every $1, I have always tried to have some part of my earnings in gold. People cannot see the need that I will be purchasing a gun, even when I disclose that I have had 1 friend murdered, 2 friends shot at, and 5 friends robbed in the last year, coupled with a relative that was sexually assaulted.
They just tend to put it as my paranoid personality, but sometimes I think that I just see things as they really are, see the true evil in some people's intentions and come to expect the worst, and be happy when it doesn't happen.

I love this website, and have found that it keeps me from alienating good friends who have not woken up to see the world around them, to see how Bush is tied into financial failings, into Enron, Chaney into Halliburton, Clinton into his things, Nixon, etc.

Oh well, let them learn when its too late

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
One thing I found interesting in the opening post to this topic was the distinction between physical, tangible conspiracy elements versus "orbs" ghosts, and the like. I find that people are generally far more likely to have a reasoned discourse on the outright inexplicable or apparently supernatural than on more immediately pertinent matters.

Allegations that the government has covered up evidence of UFO contact, for example, goes over better with a lot of people than allegations that the government had something to do (other than neglect) with the events of 9/11. I agree with the earlier poster's words - "Some people don't want to hear about that stuff."

That being said, I do think it's entirely possible that one's own paranoia keeps some of these friends away. Think about it this way - your friend tells you that the NSA is listening in on his phone and has bugged his home and office. There are really only two ways to take that - either you think your friend is lying or crazy, or you think he's telling the truth. Either way, it might not be best to keep hanging out with him, right?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this is often just the price of thinking outside of the box. The majority of Americans these days don't want to waste their time thinking about what the government is or is not doing. So long as they have the newest hight-tech toys, a big house, money and the right people act like they are their friends, things like freedom and justice don't matter. Talking about real issues, which have the potential to severely alter someone's standard of living if they happen, can be a big popularity repellant in America's self-involved dream state.

I usually get the same blank stares and patronizing smiles as everyone else, when I start talking about "conspiracy" theories. Irritating as it is though, I can't help bringing things up around people who may not otherwise be aware of what has been going on. I feel like it is up to those of us who aren't living zombies, to bring those that are, back from the dark side. If they refuse to listen, so be it. At least we tried to warn them.
On the up side, it seems to be catching on as of late. Who knows? We may end up on the popular end of the scale one day, afterall. If it happens though, don't forget the "Animal Farm" lesson.

The important thing, is to try and learn as much as you can about the issues, before you discuss them with "non-believers". It is a lot more difficult to blow you off as a "conspiracy nut" if you appear intelligent and well-informed.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I've spent too much time on conspiracy theories over the years, to the point where although I am skeptical of many, I still keep in mind that there is no smoke without fire. But, that's another story.

Anyway, as a self confessed paranoid, I do mention various theories to friends, relatives and colleagues. What I tend to find is that we in the UK are a little less inclined to be worried or fearful. This is obviously a fundamental cultural difference between the US and UK outlook on life and perception of the Government. Although we have MI5 and various other law enforcement agencies, there's nothing here with the same connotations as the NSA or CIA. We aren't aware of a shadowy power behind the scenes, spying on our every move. Don't forget the power of the media too. All the conspiracy movies over the years: Conspiracy Theory, Enemy of the State etc., are set in the USA. If someone released a movie set in the UK with similar content, maybe people would start to ask more questions.

I've only ever had three types of reaction from people when I mention conspiracies, UFO's or whatnot:
1) Hilarity - they think I'm nuts and find the proposal incredibly amusing. Interestingly, this is usually from people who haven't actully listened to a word I've said and are not known for their philosophical nature!
2) Contemplation - this is the more common one I think. These days, most people have heard some snippit of info about a conspiracy from the media/books/others, whatever. They may disagree or find it ludicrous, but are also willing to have a serious discussion about the possibilities and go away with a few things to think about.
3) Enthusiasm - the last category is the rarest. This is the sort of person, like myself, who's spent time reading about the various theories and believe at least that there is "something" worth taking notice of in a few of them.

I've never found anyone to distance themselves from me over this, but have become the butt end of a few jokes over the years. I can live with that.

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm always willing to discuss conspiracy theories and storys with friends and family, but my girlfriend thinks that I'm nuts and says that people will laugh at me.

I've proven her wrong a couple of times, by starting up conversations on aliens or NWO and she is very surprised when the other people have actually participated in the conversations with me and have been interested.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There is something to your posting that does hold truth... When you start hitting on truthful things that may be happening ...whether it be conjecture or backed up with pertinent information you will notice a trend in those around you....There disinterest in you when seemingly they were interested in you just recently maybe a distraction to keep you from getting any closer to the truth....push on ...push on....
How this is done is up to speculation but i feel that nevertheless it exists

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
There is something to your posting that does hold truth... When you start hitting on truthful things that may be happening ...whether it be conjecture or backed up with pertinent information you will notice a trend in those around you....

One word: fear.

I think, as has been mentioned already, people are happy in their cosy little world. Anything relating to conspiracies or UFO's is the domain of movies, the X Files and strange people like us ATS members. If this stuff suddenly becomes plausible, based on assertions backed up with credible evidence, then it is something tangible which affects us all directly. It is therefore, something to be feared.

People simply don't like being scared and will often walk away rather than confront that fear. Humour has always been a good method of allaying fears. Inject a humourous comment into a discussion about a distasteful or frightening subject and the atmosphere is altered accordingly. Laugh at a horror movie and it becomes a comedy.

Just my 2p (UK) worth

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Fear is something that is used for specific purposes or you can create your own....in this case though i can tell you your not hitting the nail on the head pilgrim.....

i could elaborate more but dont feel i need to satisfy the curiosity of others....take it at face value or dont take it at all....either way it doesnt matter.

as an example go to top of this page and read what mepatriot wrote.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I cant discuss it in my personal life because everyone I know has been replaced by the pod people..

SSSSHHHHHH dont let them know I told you.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
Fear is something that is used for specific purposes or you can create your own....in this case though i can tell you your not hitting the nail on the head pilgrim.....

I am if you take my comments in the context of the UK perspective. I can't speak for how it is in the US and obviously am way off the mark. And there's me thinking our cultures are similar.

as an example go to top of this page and read what mepatriot wrote.

I did and still have no real concept of what that feels like. It's so different here, or it certainly appears to be. Don't discount what I posted as it probably doesn't apply to anywhere but the UK.
Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I would like to thank all of you for coming out and posting your replies so far. Although I knew I wasn't isolated in this issue, your replies bring me much comfort.

I am shocked, particularly with mepatriot's story, with some of these experiences. Now I understand why there are no teachers who veer from the PC perspective... they're get punished for it, post-haste.

There is most definitely a cultural gap between the US and the UK, one big enough that has me drooling over the temptation to pack my bags and move there. I really should look into moving there as the area I am in right now only serves to deteriorate my lifestyle.

In one case in particular, I had a former friend who's brother-in-law and sister were both CIA employees. Yeah, as if that wasn't a big enough red flag, right? He would lightly talk about UFO's and Israel vs Palestine because he has familiar ties to the area, but when I would get into conspiracies about 911 and fed reserve and stuff like that... he'd just remain quiet. And uncomforatbly silent, at that. The bastard convinced my other good friend to abandon me, this much I am sure of, and the only reason why that I can think of is because he was ordered to in some shape or form. The timing with this former handler-in-question was always uncanny; he would call me at the worst of times (as in, I was busy or about to do something) and he would get me drunk midday, and then leave, thus crippling my night. He was also responsible for pushing a vice that has suppressed me for quite some time and derailed my train of progress. yes, I admit that I made the decision to participate, but there was a lot of assistance from him.

Other annoying and suppressive instances I have observed are computer espionage: I constantly get portscans (as I have typed this, I have been portscanned 3 times), hack attacks, denial of service attacks, and my computer itself has self-destructed twice in a matter of 10 months. The motherboard itself literally failed in one case, and 8 months into its full-scale replacement (new mainboard, processor, etc), that replacement failed as well.

It truly is odd how people react differently to tangible conspiracies like 911, but become fascinated with fantastic possibilities like alien abduction, spirits, and orbs. It's really they just fear the truth, as many of you have said. How sad for the rest of us...

Nevertheless, I won't give up. My conscience won't allow it now that I know what I know. Thanks again to all of you, and I hope that the qualities of our lives will improve, despite the intentions of those that would want otherwise.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Whenever I try to discuss anything like this with my friends, I get the exasperated expressions and 'Its only Rose spouting Sh1t again !'. A few are willing to listen, but most just prefer to hear the latest gossip.
Won't they be shocked when the Illuminati takes over.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'll always drop a conspiracy topic at work, regardless of if I believe in it or not. There are many at work in the world, so may as well keep an open mind. Unfortunately many people at my job do not have open minds.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
yep... so i leanred not to talk about stuff from this site anymore becouse people are just too blind to see throughe the BS...

some of my friends have said stuff that showed up from this site, (one guy in paticuler) i think he gose here, when i ask were he got the info he would just say from the news

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
AlnilamOmega, my heart goes out to you and people suffering the same injustices. Nothing else I can say

Take care,
Grey Pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
omega i would sujest getting a new isp or at least your ip changed and adding a router

(iv had that stuff happen to me and iv had to change my ip)

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
One thing that disturbs me is how little many young people care about their government. I am Canadian, and I have a few cousins living in the US. I was talking to one cousin one day, who is 17, and I asked her who she would want to win presidency. She looked at me and kinda shrugged, saying she doesn't care about the government. I know that she is only one person, but I have many friends here and in the U.S that don't have any idea whats going on in their country, and show very little interest. I have very few friends who follow the news at all.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Brittany]

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Brittany]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
im 16 and half softmore at a highschool near san fran,

and yes many dont have a damn clue but there are kids out there that do give a damn! like me

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yes, me too! (I'm 14)
Most people get a little bit of a shock when I get into heated political arguments with teachers... I don't exactly look the part of a stereotypical "intelligent person." More on the 'ditzy/preppy' side...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join