It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ITV plots a future where there is no escape from advertising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

ITV plots a future where there is no escape from advertising

technology.timesonline.co.uk

The new technology, which is known as “automatically placed overlay advertising”, uses complex computer algorithms to find clear space, such as blue sky or blank walls, in video footage in which to display logos or messages.

The technology, which was developed for ITV by Keystream, a Californian company, is currently being tested in news footage on the broadcaster’s ITV Local website. If it is well received, and if regulations permit it, ITV hopes to transfer it to the television screen.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Surely this has got to be the end of t.v. - where programmes are going to be embedded with adverts throughout. It's sickening! It used to be that advert breaks were a time to go to the toilet, get another beer etc but now there's no escaping it! How far will it go?
Will Discovery be showing polar bears in the wild sponsored by Coke across a glacier in the background?
Will lunar documentaries be emblazoned with dreamworks logos (or photoshop!)

technology.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
No of course they wont.... the company may get money from the adverts...but people ar eput off by them and wont watch the programme. The programme will the be shut down.

Television companies know they have to find a good balance of advertisement in programmes... just this morning I saw a programme on it and they were talking about how blatant advertisement is an immediate put off.

I see it being used more for concerts and the news than actualy programmes on television.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
At least they're going to be nice enough not to put ads during a "crunch time" of a drama!

On a more serious note, I find it rather sickening that advertisement companies, all corporations for that matter, care more about $$$ than anything. How do these people get so corrupt that they want to put ads DURING television shows? I refuse to believe that these people, when at home with their families, sit down and enjoy all the damn commercials that they are bombarded with.

Maybe one day they can come up with a way to send ads directly to your eyelids so everytime you blink you get a subliminal message directly in your own brain!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

The news? Wouldn't that be a bit immoral?

'Thousands killed in Earthquake' with Pepsi and Xbox360 logos all over the debris.

It's just one step away from that, no matter what we deem as acceptable now its just a matter of time before we become accustomed to it!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I meant for use in the news as an 'on location screen' to help with telling the news. Advertisement on the news would be immoral yes.

Should have been more clear there.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp

On a more serious note, I find it rather sickening that advertisement companies, all corporations for that matter, care more about $$$ than anything. How do these people get so corrupt that they want to put ads DURING television shows?
Maybe one day they can come up with a way to send ads directly to your eyelids so everytime you blink you get a subliminal message directly in your own brain!

It's getting beyond a Joke, we're constantly bombarded with images and ideologies. Next all the cool kids at school will be sponsored by nike and addidas to give everyone else something to aspire to!

This post comes to you courtesy of Dell computers.

(Just realised how ironic it is that my username is Thebudweiserstuntman and i'm complaining about advertising!)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Please continue discussion in ITV to launch 'embedded' adverts during programmes.

Thanks.

Thread closed.

top topics

join