It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official, Obama to make AWB permanent

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Originally posted by boaby_phet
i never really understood why americans make such a big deal about gun ownership..

Because our Constitution give us the right to.

And I'm permitted to walk on my hands all day while barking like a dog, doesn't mean it makes any sense or has any justification.

This looks like another "Obama hating" rant where something is again blown out of all proportion to show, yet again, what an "evil man" Obama is.

Seriously, it's getting boring.
If you want to cry about McCain not getting in, do so. If you want to be a racist hick, go ahead. If you want to ridicule and condemn a man based on misunderstood words and convenient editing, fine. But dressing it up as patriotism against some fictional foe in order to persuade others that he is what you think he is, that's just weak and pretty pathetic.

The guy isn't even in power yet, he hasn't changed anything, and he might not even succeed in changing a lot either when he is in power. Even if he does, "democracy" means that the will of the masses is followed (if it truly is a democracy that is, but that's a whole other argument). You can't scream about defending democracy and on the other hand expect the will of the masses to bend to that of the minority, especially when it affects so many millions of people.

So many people are on here bashing a guy who isn't even president yet. And those same people did nothing while Bush trampled all over your rights. Where were you then?
Where were you when Bush decided to break international law? Where were you when Bush created detention camps and held people against their will without charge or defense? Where were you when the administration refused to answer some serious questions about 9/11, and the invasion of Iraq?

You want to scream about your rights, how about starting with a real problem like the American Government deciding that they can do whatever they like with your money and not tell you where it's going?

In comparison to what is going on in America, the ban on some heavy weaponry is not high on the list of offenses!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
wait til' they want something of yours.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonrat
Why is every American scared to give up their gun?

Guns are a tool for killing people.

If you have a gripe against somebody, tell them. Don't shoot them. Shooting people is what cowards would do.

[Sarcasm]Yes.... guns are tools for killing people. I have killed many with mine over the years.[Sarcasm]

If you look at the numbers gun crimes are relatively low for the amount of weapons out there. Legal owner crimes are extremely rare.

If police officers can not keep up with weapons on the street, what makes you thing the average citizen will be willing to leave themselves open for harm?

In Miami, officers were having a VERY hard time keeping up with street thugs armory. The department could NOT afford assault rifles for all officers, so the officers using their god given rights, bought their own.

Im sure if someone with a gun were threatening you or your family you would change your sentiment, even though you will probably deny it.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I know I'm going to get flamed for this.

But, I noticed anytime a Gun-Ban thread like this comes up someone always throws out the ol' Constitution says this and that. OK, your right. But the Consitution was written in 1787. The idea of the 2nd Amendment originated hundreds of years before that in other countries.
Back then kids weren't shooting up schools. Times are different. Changes need to be made.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Andre Neves]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If you're not confident you can protect your home and family with a good old-fashioned scatter gun and a few rounds of buckshot....you probably don't have any business attempting it with an AR-15 and a 30 round magazine.

The violent reality you'll experience is nothing like Hollywood's portrayal. It's fast, loud, confusing, and it will alter perceptions of time and space. You're fooling yourself if you think you'll have the presence of mind to "aim" at body mass, and squeeze the trigger. More likely, you'll blindly yank the trigger in utter panic, piercing the paper thin drywall in your home, and injuring or killing family members.

No average "Joe" living in the suburbs has a "need" for an assault weapon. Other than to make up for the lack of equipment just south of their navel.

Oh, and to the poster who wrote that here in America most of us live in rural or suburban areas. Fail. As of 2005, 80% of the population in this country lives in urban areas.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
[edit on 15-11-2008 by infolurker]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

guns are bad!, and the politicians are spot on with what they say , why they HELL does ANYONE need an ak 47 lying about their house unless their actually at war and in genuine danger of someone shooting at the, ?

No they're not. And No they're not.
And why do I need an AK47 lying around my house? Well because what you anti-gun people don't understand is that there are people out there who would rather watch the world burn than give a rats ass about what bureaucrats make into law. Assault Weapons Ban or not, criminals will get them, while we are stuck fighting back with BB guns, until those are banned as well.
You aren't going to magically make all guns disappear, because there are bad people out there, bad people who have no interests in peace or prospects of a gun free utopia. They only want to take from the weak to make themselves feel more powerful. And those people are why I have an AK-47 lying around my house. It's called leveling the playing field.
Want to come and try to rob me? Come get some. Same goes for the gun grabbers. Come get some. I promise it will hurt.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

i never really understood why americans make such a big deal about gun ownership..

Because our Constitution give us the right to.

What will your argument be when the second amendment is repealed?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Natural right. Not being a slave or some subservient species/race. Because I'm a free man and I should be able to own whatever the hell I please. Because I climbed out my mothers vagina a free man owned by no government or corporation. Because I thoroughly enjoy spite and having some jackass self-proclaimed lord/ruler tell me I cant own a thing makes me want to own as much of that thing as possible. Because it pisses people like you off. Need I continue?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
For those who voted dem or rep, how does it feel to be a sheeple?

Get your guns while you can, and stock up on ammo before it is the next target.

If the guns that take ammo of a certain kind are now illegal, buying such would be defacto admission of criminal activity----and probably gets you stamped as a terrorist to boot.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Without high capacity magazines, way to many wall-streeters and bankers would get away during reloads.

"Assault weapons" are great for the 50-150 yard herd of politicians scampering down the house steps.

A high cap mag doesnt mean you are a bad shot, maybe you just like the less reloading.

There is no reason that we as americans shouldnt be allowed to own whatever we want, how can I repel a foreign or domestic threat if I cant own a sub machine gun(for short range), a semi-auto(or full auto) "assault weapon" (for medium range), and then one semi-auto and one bolt action in a large caliber (7.62x54R and 50 cal)?

Any restrictions on weapons are dumb because the most effective are the cheapest to make anyway..

The only people who should be afraid of any gun is a politician.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by logician magician

Natural right. Not being a slave or some subservient species/race. Because I'm a free man and I should be able to own whatever the hell I please. Because I climbed out my mothers vagina a free man owned by no government or corporation. Because I thoroughly enjoy spite and having some jackass self-proclaimed lord/ruler tell me I cant own a thing makes me want to own as much of that thing as possible. Because it pisses people like you off. Need I continue?

What will your argument be when you are in prison?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Please allow me to answer a question that was posed to someone else as if it had been posed to me.

Originally posted by logician magicianWhat will your argument be when the second amendment is repealed?

Hopefully, my argument will be something along the lines of... "Bang."

What will your argument be when you are in prison?

Then, the fact that I am in prison for defending my rights will be all the argument that I need.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

It always comes down to that, doesnt it? Do what we all want you to do or go to jail. Live your life in the box we've built, pay out the ass for the pleasure to do so and bend over and grab the ankles whenever mob rule says you should or face imprisonment or, if you resist the stucture we've built up around you, death.

If it comes to that point we've all lost and whether or not I have a rifle on the wall should be the least of your concerns.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

I just wouldn't feel safe if everyone is allowed to have a gun. Even your average working joe who is completely sane. He might ride the subway one day and correct a gun under his coat because he lives in a bad neighborhood. One day he gets fired from his job and on his way back he just loses it. Everything rubs him off the wrong way and everything that could possibly go wrong, does. What if he just blows up and starts shooting someone who bumps into him? I think guns for the masses is just too dangerous.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
If you look into the text of most "assault weapon" legislation there is really no set definition of an "assault weapon" most of the things they talk about are cosmetic. The people in congress and in the rest of the country need to know that all of the big bad weapons they are afraid of have already been banned under the machine gun act of 1933. All this legislation will do in the long run is give criminals an unfair advantage over the average law abiding citizen. The people that this ban will effect are not the people we need to worry about. The criminals will still get their hands on illegal weapons. Yes guns can kill people in the hands of a person. I can tell you that my Mossberg has sat in the same place in my closet for 3 months. It still hasn't tried to kill me. I really love "Gun control logic"

Edit to add that I'll keep you posted if one of my guns gets a mind of its own and the physical mobility to actually try to kill me.

[edit on 11/19/2008 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
First of all I doubt if it came down to defending my freedom to own arms, I would end up in prison. I will die first. I love my AK and my AR they are very nice fire arms and i can and have used them for hunting. No we don't go afield with hicap mags in there are laws about that.

In all honesty you people cry about our firearms and yet you know nothing of them other than what you are spoon fed through the media and what you see on TV or movies. Kids that are raised RIGHT don't go killing other kids. Adults who are good citizens don't go killing other people without good cause.

You people make me laugh when you talk about how powerfull Ak's and AR's are, you don't know squat. Be more fearful of me and my 300 win mag and 30 rounds in my pocket than a 5.56 45 with a 30 round mag in it. I am effective out to 800 yards with my rifle. I would be more frightened of 5 deer hunters than any run of the mill rifle squad in the military that has fully automatic weapons.

You people are scared of what you don't understand. As for the statistics of gun violence in other countries that have gun bans, of course its down. What you don't understand is the murder rate isn't. Hmmm given the option i would rather be shot than stabbed or bludgeoned to death.

If england was invaded who would defend your country? Military will be diminished on the first wave of bombs. In the US the people will defend the country when the military cannot.

Also what goes unreported is how many lives are saved each year because of a citizen firearm. Now that would be an interesting number to see. How many violent crimes and rapes are thwarted each year by citizen firearms? I promise it is way more than what the police stop each year. Police are the clean up crew. People should defend themselves and other law abiding citizens not wait until the police can.

Where I live it takes an hour or more to get law enforcement. There is drug problems here and drug violence. Now knowing that the dealers and druggies have AK's and AR's, should I be allowed to match their firepower if I need to defend myself or my neighbors? Or do I watch inocent people die?

Guns aren't evil and they don't commit crimes. People with socio/economic problems commit crimes. Fix the problems with parenting and the mental state of the nation if you want to stop gun crime. Hell once you fix those problems people could have RPG's in their house and no one would worry.

On a second note believe this, that if I wanted to kill, my bow would be far more effective and silent than my rifle's or hand guns. I can hide in trees and shoot without even making a dog bark. I can shoot my bow at night and you could never find balistics to match a person to the crime.

The problem is the mentality not the tool. A firearm is just a tool. It only becomes a weapon when it is discharged to terminate human life. Whats ironic is that a base ball bat is as effective as a firearm in close quarters, so what do you do now ban america's favorite past time?

People who believe in gun control need to go live with a responsible gun owner for one year, just to see what guns really are. Open your minds and stop living in fear of a piece of metal. Responsible gun owners aren't shooting each other so leave us alone.

You will never get the guns out of the US so face the facts and let those of us you might need to defend you later or help you survive, have what ever means we deam necessary do survive and defend.

If our economy fails you whiney anti gun people will beg for our forgiveness while we fix you a plate of venison chilli or stew. Nations fall but the people can survive and rebuild, let those of us who know how to defend and survive, have the tools to do so. You will thank yourselves one day. Oh and the soup kitchens you will be eating at in the near future will be serving meat provided by those you anti gun people are trying to dork with. Bon appetite.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We should ban martial arts training.

After all, martial arts training can take ordinary hands and make them far deadlier than the average fists. It's like adding a pistol grip and bayonet lug to your arm.

Why should some people be allowed to roam about with this training, unlicensed and unchecked? It's the ultimate concealed weapon. There's no way to know if somebody is a black belt master until they've beaten you half to death. And by then, you're at their mercy.

Yes, yes. Banning assault weapons isn't nearly enough. We have to ban everything that can make people be more dangerous.

In fact, hands are dangerous even without martial arts. So let's just ban hands. Because hands kill people!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
After all, martial arts training can take ordinary hands and make them far deadlier than the average fists. It's like adding a pistol grip and bayonet lug to your arm.

The sad part of this is yes martial arts training takes ordinary hands and makes them deadlier but adding a barrel shroud or pistol grip to a rifle does absolutely nothing to make the rifle deadlier.

A barrel shroud on a rifle is less like training a hand with martial arts and more like covering a hand with a highlighter or magic marker.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Good, I'm glad.

There is no reason for anyone to have an assault rifle.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join