It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Detects Terrorist Threats by Reading Your Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Homeland Security Detects Terrorist Threats by Reading Your Mind

www.foxnews.com

Baggage searches are SOOOOOO early-21st century. Homeland Security is now testing the next generation of security screening — a body scanner that can read your mind.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Not a big deal on Fox News. Pretty scary for us CTers!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
So this could be potentially rolled out in EVERY public area. Yet it's in the name of "restoring a sense of freedom."

I don't know about you, but I feel more free when I know I'm not being scrutinized every time I walk into a building.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't like shopping areas, be they malls, department stores, even the grocery store. I've often been told that I've looked like I wanted to kill someone, and several times have even changed the tone of the place through my non-verbal response to the clerk after being given a quote that I felt was rather out of line. (turning red, twitching eye and neck and temple veins)
My concern is that those like me, those people who perhaps have social phobias or merely an intense loathing of the commercialization of our daily lives will set off the red flags within this machine.
I don't want to be taken to a back room and strip-searched just because I can't stand being in Target during the Christmas season.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
They are actually reading our minds now oh ye thats great isnt it are we just losing more and more control each and everyday.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
From the article:

As cold and inhuman as the electric eye may be, DHS says scanners are unbiased and nonjudgmental. "It does not predict who you are and make a judgment, it only provides an assessment in situations," said Burns. "It analyzes you against baseline stats when you walk in the door, it measures reactions and variations when you approach and go through the portal."
But DHS says this is not Big Brother. Once you are through the FAST portal, your scrutiny is over and records aren't kept. "Your data is dumped," said Burns. "The information is not maintained — it doesn't track who you are."
www.foxnews.com...

That may very well be true, but there are already data mining programs with the purpose of cataloguing travelers' transactions, flights, hotel stays, origins, destinations, car rentals, and more. Add this to the documented number of non-terrorists on terrorist watch lists, and whether this system will in and of itself store information or not, you have here a robust network of systems which, taken together, tell them virtually everything about a person.

What exactly has to happen before they feel comfortable calling it Big Brother?

[edit on 9/23/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Having a diagnosed anxiety disorder like myself, I am sure I will be read as 'about to go off', even though I have no desire to cause any trouble or even garner ANY attention for that matter.

I wonder how this thing will read people who are just anxious people to begin with?!?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
this is insane, sounds like that tom cruise movie where they arrested people before they commited the crime.

This basically means anyone can be arrested for absolutely anything.

This is not fascism, this is something entirely different and scarier.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I hope being a sex-addict is not terrorism.

plucky is scared now.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
As the saying goes, of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Maybe they can tell me where I left it.

I don't believe this. If it was a voice stress analyzer and they were asking you a question and based on something it pulled up they decided to search you in a backroom, maybe.

Half the time I don't know what I'm thinkning.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Oh, they are watching us! Or at least want to...

And I have to wonder... If you want to create havoc, and you prepare someone ala Manchurian Candidate for the task of - say... Hijacking a plane...maybe with a cue of "Would you like something to drink?"

I wonder if this bad boy would still pick it up.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Wow.
I have no idea what to say about this.
I do not like this at all!

New technology to take away our freedom, just in time for 2012. Hooray!
So, even if nothing happens during 2012, at least we know we can MAKE something happen...
Time for another revolution...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
this is insane.

the acronymed name FAST and the report boasting that it will cut down check in times to 2 - 4 minutes is an obvious way of appealing to travellers.
sell them on the "benefits" to mask the detriments..
thats the American way!

I mean how much more invasive can this device be, short of performing automatic cavity searches as you reach the end of the hallway...

and i know that it was necessary to their experiment, but the fact that they deceived about a hundred people into thinking they were going to an expo says something too. These people went out of their way that day - possibly even paid admission on top of travel costs? - to go somewhere expecting a tachnology expo. I'm curious as to the set up they had... they must've continued with the charade and not told the test subjects afterwards because otherwise it could introduce variables that would mess with their results.

Doesn't that make you think about what other similar experiments they may have put together that you have been set up for and aren't aware of?
not to get anyone paro or nuthin..
not to mention experiments to gather the same data results but through different means, that they've decided werent conclusive enough to the point where their idea evolved into the device this experiment was done for..

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

MINORITY REPORT, Exactly what I was thinking. Arrested for thought crimes. I would be shot on site for the thoughts that race through my mind when I see these abominations. This doesn't mean I act on impulse to the little voice in my head. I'm well enough in control to sustain from such actions. How coud this even be justified? I guess it's time to start wearing the tinfoil hats.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
I hope being a sex-addict is not terrorism.

plucky is scared now.

All depends how you use it. If you use it as a tool to put fear into someone for an idealogical goal, then it is terrorism.

Eg; I'm gonna f$*% you to death unless I get (place idealogical goal here).

Then, you would be considered a terrorist for using your weapon to get your goal.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is such an abomination. IF you know how to meditate ,you ca nstill pass through this thing without it going off and then carry out your mission.

It'll weed out the nervous "terrorists" and let the cold blooded highly trained ones pass no problem.

I hate humanity.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Realms

It'll weed out the nervous "terrorists" and let the cold blooded highly trained ones pass no problem.

I'm gonna feel like a nervous terrorist, before i even get to the machine... just because I will be reminiscing on a world much different.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well, there's no laws saying you can't walk funny through a checkpoint...

... I suggest you ALL do it for laughs...

... Not only will you have fun, you'll totally screw up their carefully collected data as well.

... enjoy.

top topics

join