It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia sends ships on exercises in U.S. 'backyard'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Russia sends ships on exercises in U.S. 'backyard'

www.alertnet.org

The exercises, drawing on a strong alliance with Venezuela's anti-American President Hugo Chavez, will be closely watched by Western navies as the first such projection of Russian power close to U.S. shores since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Navy spokesman Igor Dygalo said the nuclear-powered heavy missile cruiser Peter the Great and antisubmarine destroyer Admiral Chabanenko left their base near Murmansk with two support ships for the 15,000 mile passage to Venezuela.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
15,000 miles? That's a long way to go for exercises isn't it? Looks like Russia is pretty serious about making its point that it too can police the world.

First the bombers and now the ships. Nope, nothing to be alarmed at. Nothing to see here.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I am not sure if I would consider Venezuela our "back yard". 15,000 miles is a long way from home, but they are performing exercises with one of their allies. The US is all over the world at all times.

With all of the other insanity going on right now, I don't find this to be all that alarming. Now the entire issue of our new found tension with Russia certainly is alarming. I just don't think that this exercise changes anything.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This is a GREAT thread. It's funny how much crap is going down right now, and no one has started freaking out yet. I think this is a harbinger of a Nuclear war.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Our spy vessels will be busy gathering intel. Ya gotta make lemon aid sometimes.

Roper

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
lol, lemonade!

Well, one perspective on this might be that since the Russians are allocating assets to the Carribean, maybe they aren't really worried about anything major going down in the Straits of Hormuz or Black Sea, places where those assets might be needed. At this point, I am trying to find any good in this situation wherever it may exist.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dnbaudio
This is a GREAT thread. It's funny how much crap is going down right now, and no one has started freaking out yet. I think this is a harbinger of a Nuclear war.

I think a lot of people are starting to freak out. What I find odd is that I have a STRONG feeling that we are being set up but I don't know where I should be looking. I am thinking that when they drop the hammer on us, it will be from a somewhat unexpected angle.

Should we be watching Iran? Israel seems to have their finger on the trigger, but it feels too obvious to me right now. As if it is being used to keep us focused there while the stage is being set elsewhere.

Should we be worried about war with Russia? I would say that it could be a war with Russia, although I don't expect them to be the direct target / aggressor. I think that when whatever happens, happens... that sides will be chosen and Russia will certainly be on the other side. They are probably setting themselves up for that time, but I don't expect them to attack us first.

Should we be worried about a total economic meltdown? Well, yes I think that we should. Although, I am getting the feeling that they are cooking up something bigger to keep us occupied while they finish off fleecing the middle and lower classes.

Should we be worried about Pakistan? This is the sneaky one that I am worried about. With the instability of their govt, combined with the rumors of the US blowing up that Motel, combined with the US already running over their borders, combined with Pakistan giving "shoot on site" orders to their military in regards to US soldiers... I am thinking that something serious is brewing there. While everyone else is watching the economy, Iran and Russia, we could be getting set up for a sucker punch from Pakistan.

All in all, it is just ridiculous what is going on in the world right now.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I like your thinking, Karl.

Me too on Pakistan. Problem with that one is they have nukes. What, you think they'd be tempted to nuke NATO forces in Afghanistan or Iraq? That'd be pretty foolish.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Roper

Lemon aide it is Roper. And if the Ruskies make one false move the lemon aide might be poison, for them.

I would imagine we will have them in our sights and will be ready to blow
them out of the water if necessary. I pray that does not happen.

There is a nuclear submarine base less than an hours ride from my house. The US is not a wimp and is well prepared to defend it's shores.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   

No, I don't think they would nuke our forces over there. My conspiracy senses are working overtime here.... I honestly don't know what to expect from that situation. I kind of get the feeling that we are provoking them into becoming very vocal against the US, perhaps threatening. Then it would set the stage for a false flag on US soil that could then be pinned on them.... maybe.

It would be a hell of a distraction, that's for sure. (Not the ultimate distraction of seeing 2 elephants mating though...sorry, I watched the Love Guru this weekend)

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I don't see why this is a big deal.
Since the cold war ended Russian ships have conducted exercises with US ships in the past and have even docked and resupplied at US ports.
Although we had a spat with Russia over Georgia they are still considered co operating partners.For now anyway.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
NATO has ships in the Black sea which Russia still considers home waters. The USA has subs in the Barents Sea and this is a known secret.

Russian ships in the Caribbean, yawn, yeah so.... It's just military chess.

Russia found a couple of ships they own that can cross the Atlantic and maybe make it back to home port before they break down. Big deal.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is more a symbolic measure than anything else, the militaristic nature of the move is pretty empty. So the Russias have sent a few ships over, so what? If it is military posturing then it's hardly anything compared with the mobility and projection of that of the US military. What is more worrying however is the loon Chavez maybe getting new toys from his new found courtship of conveience with Russia.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I agree that Russia is just trying to show their muscles because they are so poor right now they don't have the money to support a huge offensive against anybody. Don't get me wrong they do have nice toys but not near enough. If they attack americans, it will most likely be somewhere in Europe. But you will find out that this article the president of Russia does not want to "start" anything with the US.

Here read this article...

At the end of the Cold War, the Soviet Union had a total population of nearly 290 million, and a Gross National Product estimated at about $2.5 trillion. At that time, the United States had a total population of nearly 250 million, with a Gross Domestic Product of about $5.2 trillion. That is, the population of the United States was smaller than that of the Soviet Union, with an economy that was only twice that of the Soviet Union. Two decades later, Russia's population is about 140 million, with a GDP of about $1.3 trillion, while the population of the United States is over 300 million, with a GDP of $13 trillion. Today, the population of the United States is twice that of Russia, and the US economy is ten times as large.

www.globalsecurity.org...

This article supports that Russia is definitly in a much worse position than the US. They are dealing with the same issues that the US is but with less money and more "BS" within the political infrastructure.

top topics

join