It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

searching for creative minds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I was watching a series on the military channel wherein they explained the single most important event in weapons advancement was the implementation of riffling to weapons. Now here's where I need a creative mind.

Question: Would it be possible to mod a standard 12 ga. firing slugs?
Would it improve the weapons performance?
Why isn't the weapon already riffled?

A moss. 12 ga. is smooth bore yet my 50 cal bp is riffled, and all the while I thought the 50 cal was less reliable. This is because I have more accuracy from my 12 ga, however I feel it could be better with riffling like the old black powder version slug firing ancestors that were the most notable advancement in the genesis of fire arms.

Any Toughts???????

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Beelzabub]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Well I've thought of arming my wrist rocket with typhoid diapers. But I'm still working on the design.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Did you try black powder, then wad, then ordinance of your description?

Dont forget the greatest advancement to fire arms has been riffling.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Riffling? I don't think I'm familiar with that term. Ruffles have ridges. I still say a good swat in the face with a diseased baby diaper will send them packing.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
A riffle is called such because it has grooves in the barrel which turn the projectile in a right hand spin which make it stable like a fooot ball, instead of tumbling like buzz saw , but you know that dont you.

I forgot to increase range add a lead ball to each corner of your diaper to
give it weight and maybe even open it up to exspose contents for better exsposure to target.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I stand corrected. I just may give that a try. What do suggest?
Swine flu or typhoid? Also thinking about the catapult thing for swarming aggressors. Farm animals come to mind.

No, I NEVER watched Monty Python...much.

[edit on 9/22/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I would go with Avian(bird)Flu, if it is a mutated strain it could be blood,air,contact transmitted....the culturees might be hard to grow.
However there are not yet cures to all current versions of this stuff, so dead is dead with it, no guessing involved.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Actually I was going for funk factor. Or maybe that gay flu DARPA was working on to make everyone living in a trench for a week look good.

What will they think of next.

No offense to any creed, everyone's a beautiful people.

You just toasted my oats. I'd have started another thread but, that is all I can say

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
As the greatest mind of our time, Austin Powers would say "groooovvvvyyy baby, YEAH.

OH YEAH, got you a funk factor Avian is transmittable by poop contact in chicken farms, so you got your avian/funk problem solved now.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Beelzabub]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I don't think you should be asking people for advice on how to modify your firearms.

Why ATS? Why not a website that focuses on this?

Have you called a gunsmith? Visited a gunsmith's website?

Or are you trying to get someone to commit a criminal act so you can report them and get the reward money?

I'm very suspicious of your motives - I think they are malevolent and dangerous.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthTellist

No Man, I just think anyone here who likes weapons enough to take part in a forum catered to weapons discussion, would know if its possible and where to get it done custom. As for gun smiths they say the side wall of the mossberg 12 ga is to thin for the proceedure.

So that leaves me with a problem, if local gun smiths dont know how the maybe there is a smithy who can fabricate a new barrel accounting for the thin wall problem.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Beelzabub

The slug is rifled to give it some spin but not much.
A slug gun is for close in work honestly, 20-30 yards tops, not really any need for a rifled barrel.
And No you cant rifle a shotgun barrel.
I used to deer hunt with a both a 20ga and 12 ga slug gun, hard stuff to do in the terrain i live in.
You have to get closer with a slug gun than with a bow.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
A rifle is a little more than some grooves.

There is more compression by making the projectile a closer tolerance to the wall so the rifeling digs in. That is called choke.

A little spin without choke just makes the projectile more stable and slightly more accurate, which is no problem for a modern shoutgun slug.
This dosen't get you more range.

If you examine modern shotgun slugs you find that many have rifeling grooves on the slug to make it spin through the air.

With choke comes kickback.
You also need thicker walls to keep it from exploding.

Yes it has been done, it is called a 50 Cal.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Either I dont understand the question, or I am making this easy for ya. They sell rifled .12GA shotguns already. Have for 40 plus years now.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
What do you want to do with this weapon? I think a 12 gauge solid slug would be overkill for anything commonly or legally hunted in the U.S.

But if you have your heart set on the idea, I suggest you put the shotgun to one side and buy an elephant gun.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
HERE YA GO

www.fnhusa.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There are many common examples out there of shotguns that can use a standard smoothbore and a rifled barrel.... (ONE F in RIFLE grrr)
And as to why you'd use a slug gun... In certain parts of some states you CANNOT legally hunt with a true rifle due to proximity of populations etc. At which point you are relegated to rifled shotguns firing slugs. While not nearly as accurate at range as rifles 100 yard or more accurate fire is attainable.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Sorry everyone for not responding until now, was in hospital.

1 Thanks for spelling correction advice my bad

2 Thanks for the links and info, I love my Mossy and want to keep it but just mod it. I have made it balanced and lighter than factory issue I just wanted to tweak its accuracy.

3 I will follow up with the ammo suggestion however I have a question if the slug is rifled what about blow by of gasses that are suppose to be behind the projectile, because I'm using remanufactured ammo and the slugs are poured smooth by the smithy I get them from. its the same as the cheapo wad cutter ammo I used in my 38 just simple and no effort made to make them practical. The reason I use them I get a 1000 round pickup at cost of 200 better quality ammo.....and before the cursing begins I know I'm having to clean more and they are not useful in field, but they are good for cheapo CQC ammo and snake killing ammo and in case of using one ranch a cheap one shot one kill euthanasia ammo for critically wounded cattle.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by meihem

CQC is not really what I want it for so that's not a problem, however I want longer range take down capability so can take down wounded live stock without being in close have you ever seen a injured full size black Angus bull with a critical injury charge a pickup. I have and that pickup ended up being euthanized as well that bull hit the front end so hard he cracked the block and water pump , radiator etc. The bull just stumbled a bit and walked off. I still had to shoot it ,but I lost my favorite pickup in the process.

new topics

top topics

join