It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 25yrs with a GC, today I became an American, just so I could vote

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm so sorry, you answered the question about having family there. In my excitement I read most of the posts, but not all. *embarrassed*

Oh and cross country trips! FANTASTIC! I don't fly, so I took Amtrak last year across the country. From Maryland to Washington State. It was AMAZING! What a trip of a lifetime. And a wonderful way to see this country. I would highly recommend a train if you can afford a sleeper car and have the time. You meet so many great people and it's really an adventure.

BTW, I'm 3 hours from DC in the panhandle of Maryland.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by proloz

I wish I could star you twice my friend.

To answer your questions:

I do have some distant family in Greece and close family in France. I even have loads of cousins and uncles in Ethiopia whom I have never met.

Most countries allow to have multiple citizenships. But you are correct to say that any country of which you hold a passport considers you their citizen first. Though this rarely causes any conflict of interest.

Now if I may ask you a question: Where in MD do you live?

edit: you answered my question too.

[edit on 9/20/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm WAY out west....in the rural mountains. My town is only about 2,500 people strong. Of course I've been to DC quite a few times.....but I try to avoid it because the traffic gives me nightmares. lol

What a feeling it must be to finally be OFFICIALLY a part of the country that you've lived in for so long and love.
I personally have a few years left before my 10 year green card renewal is supposed to happen, entailing a trip to Baltimore....the last time I went it was TERRIBLE. So I absolutely want to get it done soon without having to go do a renew.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
congratulations.

I guess this is what should be called patriotic

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
CONGRATS!!

Though I don't stand on the same page as your voting choice, I still congratulate you on the opportunity to now vote and the desire to do so!

Oh, and I lived in the WDC area for 15yrs, know it well! My brother owns a bar in WDC/Dupont Circle
let me know if you are interested in which one...maybe you have been to it

[edit on 9/20/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
CONGRATS!!

Though I don't stand on the same page as your voting choice, I still congratulate you on the opportunity to now vote and the desire to do so!

Oh, and I lived in the WDC area for 15yrs, know it well! My brother owns a bar in WDC/Dupont Circle
let me know if you are interested in which one...maybe you have been to it

Thank you, that means a lot. The fact that we can disagree and no one has to be arrested is quite cool.

U2U me please your brother's bar. Though I am not active in the scene I pretty much know everyone in it.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
congratulations.

I guess this is what should be called patriotic

Some of my favorite quotes:

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."
Abbey, Edward

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
Benjamin Franklin

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
Benjamin Franklin

"Man's capacity for evil makes democracy necessary and man's capacity for good makes democracy possible."
Reinhold Niebuhr

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So, you're voting for Obama? I'd like to hear some of the reasons why you believe he would make a good President.

And congrats on becoming an American, although with the dollar dying, who knows how long this place will still be around.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
So, you're voting for Obama? I'd like to hear some of the reasons why you believe he would make a good President.

And congrats on becoming an American, although with the dollar dying, who knows how long this place will still be around.

Oh SI, does it really matter who and why I vote for. I live in DC where it's 80% democrat anyway. It's not like they need my vote. I just want to vote, I want to participate, that's all. Why Obama, I guess I'm just a soft hearted liberal who hopes that a little kindness and mercy would be a nice change for a few years.

Thank you for the congrats, now that I am American I'll do my best to make sure we are around for a bit longer.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

That's it really. SDog is an American as of today, so I'll try to act appropriately.

[edit on 9/20/2008 by schrodingers dog]

Well Congratulations on becoming an American Citizen

As for D.C. Council elections, lol they have some "different" candidates. If you're Ward 8, you can elect a Crackhead.

I know you've been here a while now, but I'm originally from D.C., so if you have any questions about local things, feel free to shoot me a line.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
As for D.C. Council elections, lol they have some "different" candidates. If you're Ward 8, you can elect a Crackhead.

Easy now agent.
In any case I am in ward 3, and we have a lovely council woman Mary Cheh.

See, I'm already all over my local knowledge.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
By the way, I wanted to add my favorite version of the Star Spangled Banner, it gets amazing towards the end:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
(looks at SD's paperwork)

Oh Im sorry you did not sign on page 243, im afraid that your citizenship has been revoked and you will have to leave the country via catapult!

Good job.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
(looks at SD's paperwork)

Oh Im sorry you did not sign on page 243, im afraid that your citizenship has been revoked and you will have to leave the country via catapult!

Good job.

Catapult, where did the Americans get catapults?

I love saying catapult.

Catapult!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Congrats on gaining your citizenship and welcome to the USA! If only we had more immigrants like you who are willing to partake in the system instead of just using it for their own gain and who will not forget the oath that they took. I admire your desire to be an active citizen considering that I dont even vote in non federal elections with the exception of the Islip Town Supervisor, Suffolk County Sheriff and Suffolk County Executive elections.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Thanks Chris. We give a little we take a little, with honesty, that's the American way.
And yes, like I said earlier, I can't wait for the local elections. I need the potholes fixed more than I need another tax break.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Oh we do have them. Now that you're a citizen you get to know about some of the secrets we keep from the world.

Seriously though, congratulations on receiving your citizenship here, SDog, and welcome to being an active participant in our political process

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
In truth, it doesn't matter which candidate you vote for, we're #ed either way.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonHunter

Oh we do have them. Now that you're a citizen you get to know about some of the secrets we keep from the world.

Seriously though, congratulations on receiving your citizenship here, SDog, and welcome to being an active participant in our political process

I did not know that. Where do I go catapulting? Is there an NCA?

Thank you for the welcome mate, I mean man.

reply to post by Masisoar

Why you got to bring that buzz kill in here?
I'm voting.
It is certainly your right not to.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join