It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 25yrs with a GC, today I became an American, just so I could vote

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Congrats! It's about time you get your feet wet. Since you have been paying taxes here for so long, you might as well get to vote for the puppet of your choice.

Obama? I guess I can't complain as my first vote for President went to good ole George McGovern. A young man's fantasy.

Anyways congratulations on becoming a citizen of the United States - "the last, best hope of mankind".

Make us proud!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yea! for you S-Dog!

You are already a better citizen than half of the U.S. population. Why? Because you pay attention and you care what goes on in your community and nation.

We're lucky to have you. Vote wisely...oh yeah...you're voting Obama, so you're golden!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Congratulations! Welcome to U.S. citizenship, now that you're one of us, I hope you have some good ideas about how to save our arses!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Thank you,
Now where do I apply for welfare?

You have to INCORPORATE first. Then there is the lobbying.....

Congratulations. I have read many of your posts and it is a pleasure to have so fine a mind choose to become a citizen.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Congratulations! Welcome to U.S. citizenship, now that you're one of us, I hope you have some good ideas about how to save our arses!!!

Ideas I have a plenty. Disposable underwear, Lazyboys/Toilets, etc ..
I also do pointing well, you know, "put that there" kinda thing.
But I'm not much of a "doer", so keep that in mind when we're strategizing.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
SD, Congrats, Now get out there and throw yourself under a heap of debt like the rest of us. The basic "citizen package" requires no less than $10,000 in credit card debt, and a whopping payment on a gas guzzeling SUV. You may however already have this and may choose to upgrade to some sort of recreational vehicle and an array of gas powered lawn equipment. All kidding aside, welcome to citizenship and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

[edit on 9/20/2008 by TheRooster]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

Thank you very much my friend.
Funny you should mention SUV, I was just watching the Escalade Hybrid commercial and I can't wrap my mind around this mega-paradox. I can be a somewhat responsible jerk is the message I'm getting. As far as the debt, I'm waaaaay ahead of you, it was available to me the first day I got a green card 25 years ago.
I don't care though, I just want to vote.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

It's encouraging to see you take so much pride in the priviledge.

Not to go off topic but I'm wondering... having just gone through the process, what is your take on the "pathway to citizenship" the PTB may extend to the illegal alien population?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Cognrats SD!! I had no idea you were a PR, where are you from originally if you don't mind me asking (and it hasn't been asked already?)?

Edit: Never mind, you answered that, I assume you grew up speaking Greek so I'll also congratulate you on having very good English skills.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

really and truly - coolest thread I've read through in a while

congratulations! and thanks for sharing this -

I assumed you were a citizen - but, even though you've been here a while - you're a welcome addition

it's an amazing place this country

I do have some issues - but, I'm allowed to live here even WITH my issues :-)

doesn't get any better than that

been to Greece once - love it there

maybe you can tell me where to eat or what to see if I ever get to go back

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I don't mind at all, it's just that it's a little complicated:

I was born in Paris, my mother is Greek, my father is half Greek half Ethiopian, my step mother is French, and my stepfather is Bermudian. (crazy right?)
I grew up in Athens, Rome, Paris, London, and the US. I live in DC now but I've lived between DC and NYC of and on for the last 25 years. And I have a Scottish wife and an English Bulldog.

But as of today: I'm American, thank you for asking.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Thanks S,
I absolutely love it here. Love Greece love France, I have family in both but it's not for me to live there. Great for holidays though. And yes I'm happy to help next time you go there.

Over my stay here in the states, I must have driven cross-country 6-7 times, sometimes taking a month to do it, just country roads meeting very strange people and having amazing experiences. I was a dj for 20 years, owned my own clubs, ran a venture capital company. Sold everything and basically retired at 40, or until something moves enough to do it. Where else can one do all that?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

cross country trips are the best

they are THE best

and you're right - you see things and meet amazing people - I recommend it for anyone who wants to fall in love with their country all over again

it works on the rest of the planet too :-)

anyhow - thanks again for sharing your news

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Wow SD, you are truly a citizen of the world, and that is something to be proud of too!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Welcome to this country. I'm sorry it's falling completely apart...
But happy that you're a fellow-citizen of mine.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I would have made a great air host. lol I hate flying, oh well.

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you BH for the kind words, I'll do my best to make you proud.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Congratulations. Let's stand together as Americans so we can keep our rights and our freedom. Division will get us no where but fighting ourselves. Again i congratulate you and only wish the best so we can keep on being Americans even if the odds are stacked against the people.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

cross country trips are the best
and you're right - you see things and meet amazing people - I recommend it for anyone who wants to fall in love with their country all over again

Actually I'm thinking of taking one this November. I'm trying to figure out a way to involve ATS. Maybe, I'll stop in cities where ATS members don't mind meeting and do podcasts as part of the trip. I's been on my mind for a while. I just have to think though the details.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

let us know when you have an itinerary

it's a good idea

edit to add: post election - will be very interesting

[edit on 9/20/2008 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by Roper

Congratulations on becoming a citizen of the greatest nation on the Earth.
What country lost you as a citizen?
Roper

Greece/EU but I don't have to surrender my greek passport.

Listen, I've chosen to live here and pay taxes for twenty five years. Even before today, for the last 20 years when people asked where I am from, I've always said American.

Think of it this way, we've been engaged for 25 years, today we got married.

I feel the same way----I've been engaged to Amerca for oh....hey...how funny....25 years now for real. Moved here when I was 7 years old with my family. Have paid taxes and carried a green card, married a US citizen, I consider myself American, as I'm sure you probably did....I mean I have lived here most of my life.

CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!!!

I too am hoping to be married to America possibly sometime next year.

I'm not one to say hey, this country is better than your country--neener neener neener....that's just silly to me. But America is an amazing country. No matter the politics. There are great people here, and the country itself is beautiful. I think that we get misjudged so much by people from other countries. We're not all fat, lazy, rednecks that are uneducated, ignorant, materialistic, and vain. Although I do live in redneck country. LOL

Here is my question to you.....do you still have family living in Greece? All of mine is except immediate---parents, brother, sister....

And does Greece acknowledge your US citizenship? I was looking at Dual Nationality and from what I read if I apply for US citizenship then the UK just doesn't acknowledge my US citizenship. That they just would still consider me a UK citizen. And that America wouldn't acknowledge my UK citizenship anymore, so to them I'd just be American.

My mom has always had dual nationality and she has always used her right to vote. Something that I've always wanted to do.....

It's important people. Get out there and vote. No matter who it's for.....use your power.

Once again congrats from me!!!! Maybe next year I'll have a similar post one day. For now I'm just glad that the US and UK are good allies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join