It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 25yrs with a GC, today I became an American, just so I could vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It's true, yours truly has been a permanent resident since 5/83. Never really gave much thought to becoming a citizen. A green card is essentially the same thing and you don't have to deal with jury duty.

Though I've always enjoyed political discourse, I, until recently never felt compelled to participate in the political process.

I have read many threads on ATS in which members suggest that one vote is irrelevant, or that both candidates are in with the NWO, and a myriad of other reasons or excuses for not voting. And whilst I respect my fellow members' opinions, I happen to disagree with them.

For the first time, I felt it was important to me for my own reasons, to vote. Important enough to become a US citizen just to do it.

Keep in mind that this decision could not have been made spontaneously. I had to apply back in February, before I even joined ATS and engaged in political discourse here. Which I would have never done if I thought I wasn't going to vote.

That's it really. SDog is an American as of today, so I'll try to act appropriately.

[edit on 9/20/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So, who will you be voting for? If you don't mind me asking.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
So, who will you be voting for? If you don't mind me asking.

I don't mind at all.
In fact I've been waiting 25 years for someone to ask me that.

You shall forever be the first, how cool is that?

I'll vote for Obama with about 80% of the district of columbia. But to tell you the truth, I have always felt that the more important elections, the ones that affect us the most in our daily lives, are local elections. So I'm also looking forward to vote for dc council, mayor, etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Way to go Schrodingers dog!!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Wow, everything IS bigger in America.

Thanks!

How'bout that. the rest of the world is bashing the US, but not this old euroDOGtrash, he's all red white and blue.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
FANTASTIC

OUTSTANDING

Welcome my Fellow American!!!!

Semper

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Welcome my Fellow American!!!!

Semper

Thank you,
Now where do I apply for welfare?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Congratulations S'Dog!! I daresay you've passed tests that the majority of born Americans would have trouble with, myself included. Goodonya. I know you're a smart man, and I think you'll recognize the priviledge of citizenship that many seem to take for granted.

I completely agree..... I think every vote counts. Myself, I would prefer a return to popular vote and discard the electoral system for Presidential elections.

I'll never forget the first time I voted in a national election. I was brimming with national pride, and as I inched my way toward the voting booths, the overhead TV was announcing the winner of the election -- this was in California, and apparently we couldn't generate enough votes to change the statistical wave. I saw dozens if not hundreds, of people turn and walk away from the polling center. I remained in line and voted, although I didn't think it mattered at that point.

I'm also in favor of this idea, although I admit it probably would create more discord than continuity: I think a popular vote should be enacted, and the nation vote for President only. Most votes becomes President, and runner-up, despite party affiliation, becomes Vice-President. Oh yeah. Obama/Paul? That could work for me.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Funny! Don't forget to pick up your decoder ring also, so you can translate the secret symbol-generated communiques that we all enjoy. I know we're not supposed to speak about such things, but it could take years for you to find out on your own, and ..... well, I just couldn't stand the thought of you being in the dark, especially after you 25 years of dedicated service. Maybe they'll allow you to upgrade to the special gold ring since you're so well versed in political mechanizations.

Pretty soon you'll be reading the NY Times in a vertical fashion like the rest of us, seeking out imbedded messages.

[edit: comminiques? Is that some sort of tropical fruit?]

[edit on 20-9-2008 by argentus]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Congratulations on becoming a citizen of the greatest nation on the Earth.

What country lost you as a citizen?

Roper

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

And, as a result of ironic timing, I've had to change allegiances in mid Ryder Cup.

What is a Boo Weekly?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper

Congratulations on becoming a citizen of the greatest nation on the Earth.
What country lost you as a citizen?
Roper

Greece/EU but I don't have to surrender my greek passport.

Listen, I've chosen to live here and pay taxes for twenty five years. Even before today, for the last 20 years when people asked where I am from, I've always said American.

Think of it this way, we've been engaged for 25 years, today we got married.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Congrats! Till death do you part now.

AAAC

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

Congrats! Till death do you part now.

AAAC

Oh that's right, thanks for reminding me.
I gotta get a gun, and soon!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Anyway, I know it sounds silly, but I'm really looking forward to this voting thing.
Without judging anyone, I can't imagine anyone not doing it, imho it's a responsibility.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
OP,

I want nothing more than for you to have the priviledge to vote.

I hope you get to do that.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
OP,

I want nothing more than for you to have the priviledge to vote.

I hope you get to do that.

Well that's the good news.
As I became a citizen today I will be able to vote in November.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Congrats, Schro Dog....

Way to make a commitment one way or the other...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Congrats, Schro Dog....

Way to make a commitment one way or the other...

Well, the other day I was reading one of your posts and thought to myself:

"That MemoryShock, he thinks he's better than me?" Well that clinched for me. There's nothing more American than that thought.

No seriously folks, I could not feel more proud than I do today.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
"That MemoryShock, he thinks he's better than me?" Well that clinched for me. There's nothing more American than that thought.

There is nothing more American than such irrational competitive thought...

Brilliant!!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join