It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Barr Files Suit in Texas to Remove McCain, Obama from Ballot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Atlanta, GA – Bob Barr, the Libertarian Party's nominee for president, has filed a lawsuit in Texas demanding Senators John McCain and Barack Obama be removed from the ballot after they missed the official filing deadline. "The seriousness of this issue is self-evident," the lawsuit states. "The hubris of the major parties has risen to such a level that they do not believe that the election laws of the State of Texas apply to them." Texas election code §192.031 requires that the “written certification” of the “party’s nominees” be delivered “before 5 p.m. of the 70th day before election day.” Because neither candidate had been nominated by the official filing deadline, the Barr campaign argues it was impossible for the candidates to file under state law.

Very interesting lawsuit ... if this goes through it would set the Democrat's and the Republican's back a bit. I just want to know how they missed the deadline and how this is going to turn out.

Visit the Link for more details.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by baseball101]

[edit on 18-9-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I doubt anything will come of this.

However, this would probably seal the election for Obama, Texas is a pretty important red state.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Can you imagine what he is going to get to back off of this?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
heh, welcome to Amerisue. Gotta grease some more palms, baby.

Considering that Texas is secondary only to California in the number of electoral votes at stake (Texas 34, Cali- 55), this does pose an interesting problem from a number of angles:

1) Since the Texas Supreme court established precedent in 2006 with the other ruling, the correct action would be to indeed remove them from the ballot;

2) The precedent and attention that incident would set for future elections, considering it's the second largest electoral vote holder;

3) If voter turnout is consistent with recent elections in Texas, which appear to have favored democrats 2.7 million to 1.2 million or so, it could be a bigger problem for Obama than McCain. If this goes through people in Texas are going to have to write in a lot of Obamas and McCains.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

ya idk it seems like a pretty legitimate lawsuit, but nothing will probably come of this...

and to Grumble ya i was thinking about that ... what is he going to get to hush hush all this up and drop the lawsuit?

and to True American thank you for posting the information! quite interesting indeed, this law suit will definitely stir up some controversy!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I hope I am not resurrecting a topic that was solved already. But as it is so close to the election, was there any closure on this? I can imagine that it ended up "Not making it to court in time". Losing Texas would destroy McCain, not something I want to see happen, but I am curious as to how much those in charge care about upholding the law vs. our opinions and desires.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Turns out the Republicans and Democrats where allowed to break the law.

www.efluxmedia.com...

top topics

join