It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC Hacked, and file deleted from central computer.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jarheadjock

The hacking attempt had already happened. That hoaxer just copied and pasted from another website.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A hoax or misconstrual of their findings in regard to the hackers seems like a good scare tactic from the rulers. Maybe they are getting closer to a truth/fact the elite do not want us to know about...yeah....maybe

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
reply to post by spacebot

Again, this has nothing to do with hacking and cracking. Anyone with a dialup account could potentially do it.

Also as for your internet addiction enough to spend your entire salary, I hope you fed your family in the process.

Yes. I learned a majority of what I know off a dial up connection. However, I connect to a server in my college and use UNIX. Its quite difficult to be efficient on dial up, especially since the delay in deleting or writing code can really hinder the learning process. Definitely not conducive.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The Brainiacs didn't understand...."We Are 2600". ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

Propaganda ftw...?

Btw:

even Turkey has started to make some strides towards population level internet connectivity

...funny...

(my apologies rocksarerocks,it wont happen again)

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
EDIT:Double post.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Oceanborn]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It does make sense for it to be accessible via the Internet via VPN's, there are simply too many people involved that are not on site that need access to the information, and various other systems I would think, to have it completely isolated. Even if all they had was email and the ability to use a browser, that would still mean they were connected to the Internet.

That said, like Budda was saying, one compromised web server isn't really a big deal. I doubt they have the "control panel" for the LHC or the Atlas available/routable over a remote interface available over the web. I mean, cmon, with all the bright minds on this, I think they can afford a good enough network and security staff to build the thing up in a pretty logical and protected manner.

One last point, of course hackers are going to target it. Hacking the LHC (or networks connected to it) is a big feather in a hackers proverbial cap.

Not terribly newsworthy, imo.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yay another sensationalist thread about LHC...

It's so sad that sensationalists poeple make so much and such dumb issues about the LHC, while the biggest sensational story is inside it.

I'm mailing with a Brittish scientist who works at the ATLAS experiment at CERN . He assured me that the website that was indeed "hacked" ( defaced would be a better word). but it was just the CMS 'content managing system) nothing else was defaced or hacked.

The vital parts of the LHC have no in or outbound connections to the internet. Period

So to make a thread entitled "LHC hacked !!!" is just ...encouraging ignorance.

I for one think that the latest BBC documentary 'the big bang machine" should be watched by everyone in the world, mandatory.

you can watch it on the BBC iplayer or via torrents, it's well worth.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
reply to post by rocksarerocks

I still find hard to believe all this hacking is actually going on and making it through. I personally believe it's all talk from these blogs and sites, possibly coming from people that "fear" the LHC.

If the LHC does explode (unlikely), we'll know who to blame, not the scientists, but the retards trying to hack it...if it's all true that is.

It is actually not all that surprising that some hackers could make it through to the LHC. The LHC is connected within a grouping of Tier Levels, as they do this to increase the Computer Bank Processing and Storage capabilities. They are sending streams of data out to Universities all over the Globe, as well as Home PC's which run the LHC@home Program. This is much in the same way that NASA, the DOD, and many other secure Data Banks have been infiltrated. Remember, the Internet originated as a DOD form of Secure Data Transmission, Processing, and Storage between Remote Systems.

As for the Collision Experiments, you are dead on about any "accidents". If some outside force, such as a grouping of cyber-terrorists or just naive hackers/crackers, manages the highly unlikely task of fully hijacking control of the LHC, we could be faced with an absolute catastrophe. All we need is for some clown to grab control of an experiment while in progress, and there could be some serious issues.

Would it not be ironic that the very same people whom are attacking the LHC, due to their fears of an "incident", are the ones who actually bring it about?

I am glad that this occurred during the initial low-power testing phases however, as CERN will now be more than well aware of these vulnerabilities. Corrections will be made (ie, Strengthened Firewalls, Scrambled IPs, Roaming Proxies, etc.) if they have not already been implemented, and I dare say we are safe for now. The final/direct LHC controls are MOST likely isolated apart from the Server connected Data Stream, but there is nothing like a surprise incident to make you take extra precautions. I trust that CERN has a great IT team, and they have this under control.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ironic, given that the man credited with inventing the "World Wide Web", Sir Tim Berners-Lee, has worked with CERN.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
As for the Collision Experiments, you are dead on about any "accidents". If some outside force, such as a grouping of cyber-terrorists or just naive hackers/crackers, manages the highly unlikely task of fully hijacking control of the LHC, we could be faced with an absolute catastrophe. All we need is for some clown to grab control of an experiment while in progress, and there could be some serious issues.

Oh God... Pray tell just what kind of issues can happen? What's more, what would be the "absolute catastrophe"???

I'm a little tired of posts that are thin on substance and thick on sensation.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Oh God... Pray tell just what kind of issues can happen? What's more, what would be the "absolute catastrophe"???

I'm a little tired of posts that are thin on substance and thick on sensation.

I agree Buddha...

AgentNineteen, you are assuming that the "controls" for the system are on a network that is routed and accessible to the public Internet. I work on several reasonably complex networks which host terabytes of content, and I can assure you, there are very, VERY easy ways to allow access to content for end users, while completely cloaking the management tools on the back end. In other words, the experiments can output data for users on one network, while the management tools are on another network/system altogether and there is no path between. The idea that anything networked automatically means it's hackable is so terribly naive...and frankly demonstrates very little knowledge of how computer systems interconnect.

Again, this is a non-issue, non-story, being sensationalized by people who don't understand networks and systems, being lapped up by people who don't understand networks and systems. No offense intended, but knowing what I know from a private sector job, even, makes this all sound ludicrous.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
being that Cern pretty much invented the internet, i doubt they have sensitive material that is vulnerable to hackers. i wonder what the purpose of hacking them would be...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WinoBot
being that Cern pretty much invented the internet, i doubt they have sensitive material that is vulnerable to hackers. i wonder what the purpose of hacking them would be...

James Gillies, spokesman for CERN stated that "It appears to be people who want to make a point that CERN was hackable,”

Sounds like people with too much free time on there hands.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If CERN was really hacked are we setting ourselves up for failure?

Yes, only a movie but the theory is real.

Does HAL 9000 ring any bells?

hal 9000

We are a boat load more capable know and Technology has improved 100 fold. Who knows?

[edit on 17-9-2008 by sqid4life]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sqid4life

I don't believe we are setting ourselves up for anything. The actual control and operation of CERN is not accessable via the internet. I'm sure there is a "power" system that must be manually operated before the LHC even starts to power up. They wouldn't be that stupid.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

As was said earlier in this thread somewhere they may have gained access to some remote part of the facility but nothing important, and even if they got that far, I bet that security hole was closed immediately.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Correct!
There is probably a whole list of protocols they have to employ before the actual start up is accomplished. Much of these are more than likely human tasks that if not done in the correct sequence and succession will result in nothing happening at all. I couldn’t agree more with that. The only thing is hackers did succeeded in breeching CERN IT security. The question this raises to me is, what else did CERN overlook. Something as important as IT security is a major oversight don’t you think! We are not talking about a microwave oven, We are on the verge of a new era with this.

Not the time to get a case of cranial flatulence that’s all.!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sqid4life
If CERN was really hacked are we setting ourselves up for failure?

Yes, only a movie but the theory is real.

Does HAL 9000 ring any bells?

hal 9000

We are a boat load more capable know and Technology has improved 100 fold. Who knows?

Saying a theory is real is a tad flimsy. A theory is a theory, it's real, sure, but it's still theoretical (look up the word). I have a new theory, and it's real: Mars is actually made of orange marshmallow peeps. MY theory is hereby real and should be taken seriously!

Technology has improved "100 fold" since the movie was filmed? Since Arthur C. Clarke came up with the idea of HAL? Dude, it's a movie, therefore not real; technology has not evolved from the fictitious worlds and visions of Arthur C. Clarke, no matter how science-laden his novels were.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sqid4life

Correct!
There is probably a whole list of protocols they have to employ before the actual start up is accomplished. Much of these are more than likely human tasks that if not done in the correct sequence and succession will result in nothing happening at all. I couldn’t agree more with that. The only thing is hackers did succeeded in breeching CERN IT security. The question this raises to me is, what else did CERN overlook. Something as important as IT security is a major oversight don’t you think! We are not talking about a microwave oven, We are on the verge of a new era with this.

Not the time to get a case of cranial flatulence that’s all.!

Given enough effort, there are no websites that are "unhackable". Suggesting this was an oversight on CERNs part is akin to suggesting that if a building is broken into, they should have had more than locks and deadbolts on their doors. I'm certain in both cases there were intrusion detection systems, but it doesn't prevent the actual intrusion.

Would you feel better if they had sharks with freakin lazers?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join