It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Finds Unidentified Object in Space, Scientists Puzzled

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Came across this from SkyandTelescope.com

Some interesting points to consider for anyone who understands these kind of studies....

Some quotes from the sites members:

No idea, but distance wrong
Posted by Dr. Gottfried Beyvers September 12, 2008 At 08:57 AM PDT

I don't know what that object might be, but I do know that you gave the wrong distance of the cluster CL 1432.5+3332.8 ! Its redshift is 1.112; the cosmology calculators then tell us that its proper distance is now 11.7 billion lightyears and that the distance at emission was 5.54 billion lightyears. The number you report (8.2 billion) is the light travel TIME! S&T has had a good record of giving correct cosmological distances, please do continue that. Light travel time multiplied by the speed of light is NO useful distance parameter.Thank you! I've edited the text to clarify that the "distance" is given as the light travel time. This is widely used, actually, since this version of cosmological "distance" says the most useful things about what we are actually viewing -- not what we _would_ see if we had a God's-eye view and could see "now" at infinite speed, Einstein be damned. Nor what we would see if we traveled back in time and looked at infinite speed from then. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Alan MacRobert

------------------------------------------------------------

Mystery Object
Posted by Tom Buchanan September 12, 2008 At 02:09 PM PDT

I read the paper and examined the spectrum. Five absorption lines were found, two of which were tentatively identified as hydrogen and one as sodium. The two remaining mystery lines are at 5360 and 6330 angstroms. I suggest that the 6330 line is Fe X, which shows up in the flash spectrum of a total solar eclipse at 6374 angstroms. The value 6374 appears to fit the trough in the spectrum better than the 6330 value marked on the chart. Perhaps the 5360 result is caused by some other ionized atoms. I examined all flash spectra I have, including three I took, and those published in S & T (October 1973, p. 221; and August 1970, p. 79). I could find no trace of any unusual line at 5360. The apparent absence of the hydrogen-alpha line might be because the absorption cancels out the emission, especially in a spectrum of low resolution. This situation occurs in some stars.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My Guess
Posted by Alan C September 15, 2008 At 02:12 AM PDT

The light curve strongly suggests gravitational lensing, while the broad absorption bands suggest a rapidly rotating cloud of gas. Perhaps there is a black hole or other dense object which lenses the light from a star or galaxy, and this has an accretion disk of gas and dust which produces the absorption bands. I don't know if this model can be made to fit all of the more subtle features of the observations but I think it might explain the gross features. If this is correct then it is not actually a new class of object at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

more in above link....must stop... hurts...

-----
Mod Edit: Added 'ex' tags
Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
As a matter of National Security, this thread must be shut down and all who read it will be shot, questioned, then released. Nothing to see here, move along.

In that order?

Good find, serisouly interesting, although, they quoted a scientist from CERN saying that it looks like a starship going warp!?!? Why CERN??! If it is a discovery by hubble?

EMM

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh, man, I wish I could understand half of what that scientific paper says...

But this is very, very interesting anyway, so many thanks to the OP for sharing this find with us!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The Gizmodo article doesn't even say when this occurred. Thanks for posting the more detailed article where it says this happened on February 21, 2006.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the LHC, but apparently not.

(2 years ago and we're just learning about it now, we suck).

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Electro38]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It may be a new kind of nova or supernova, as they say in the paper.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of star dynamics is very small, so I suggest this should be moved to the Space Exploration forum, where people with more knowledge can read it and explain it to those who want to deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Interesting stuff, it's almost a pointless endeavor trying to speculate about it from my point of view though, if they don't know then I certainly won't know. It could be anything, and it will be impossible to pinpoint what it is; simple observation won't reveal any answers. I could be wrong though.

This anomoly will remain an enigma for quite some time I should think.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
What I don't understand (and maybe I am completely ignorant) but doesn't the Hubble Telescope produce amazing pictures? Like the Eagle Nebula. But this one is grainy and not very clear. Why?

This image was produced in the Infrared Spectrum. The amazing Deep Space Hubble photographs were produced in the Visual Wavelength.

BTW, I will try to read through this entire report a little later, but if anyone has specific questions in the mean time, feel free to hit me up with them. I will do my best to discern any wording in the official paper and answer any questions that you may have.

[edit on 9-15-2008 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I see.. Thanks for clarifying!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
starred and flagged because I am curious what this is.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I see.. Thanks for clarifying!

No problem, I am glad I could help. As a matter of fact, here you can compare two of Hubble's most Amazing images in their own perspective wavelengths. These are both representative of Hubble's "Deep Field" image of all of the Star Clusters and Galaxies. One however is in the IR Spectrum, while the other is Multi-Band (ie, Visual Wavelength). It should be noted that the IR in this example was created from Kitt Peak, however it tracked the same coordinates as Hubble's Deep Field, and is generally acknowledged as being a good representation of the "Deep Field" through the IR bands.

IR and UV Bands CAN be represented in Color images, however Greyscale assists in detecting objects in that it can filter out much of the visual clutter during analysis.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Maybe humans shouldn't play with particle physics as one part of the universe is apt to effect another part. Or... maybe Jesus is coming back to the Earth. Or both.

"Captain Jesus, we're within' range of Earth. Orders sir?"
"Prepare a shuttle pod and away team Ensign, I'm going down!"

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1!!1!!ones!!1!!

It's

A

DOT!!!

-Jimmy

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Apparently, a scientist at the LHC declared that the object is similar to the flash that an Imperial Star Destroyer does when reaching Warp 10. Either that or some dust on the Hubble lenses, so someone tell NASA to get some Windex up there too. [Sky and Telescope]

Thats a nice line!

somone should also tell NASA Star destroyers dont goto warp 10, they go into hyperspace, and from a trekkie perspective they cant reach warp 10 either unless you include the experiment tom paris did in the little shuttle when he got all weirded up.

sheesh you would think the nerds at NASA would know that

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
there is no galaxy or star anywhere near this occurance from which a stellar event could explain this anomoly.

the absorption lines relate to astronomical spectromatry and explain what frequencies were absorbed whilst the light travelled to earth.if the light travels through hydrogen ,there will be a gap in the spectra of the light as hydrogen would have absorbed a unique frequency of that light.
so from what frequencies are missing from the light we can determine what the light has travelled through.
en.wikipedia.org...

the problem we have with this event is that there is no hydrogen-alpha in the absorption lines,and ALL natural starts contain hydrogen-alpha.it does contain absorption lines from normal hydrogen which are a result of the light travelling through interstellar hydrogen clouds etc.

if it were another form of stellar outburst such as a neutron star,or magnetar outburst the spectromatry would reflect this,yet it doesnt.

so somehow we have a high energy outburst in the middle of nowhere that lasted a hundred days,in a place devoid of any stars and which doesnt match any known spectral analysis?.

so it either a natural but immensly rare rogue/unknown event in the middle of nowhere,or an unnatural event created by intelligence.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kelbtalfenek
Very interesting. I can't say what that could be either.

Makes me wonder though, if it's part of a trickle of information/disinformation that we might see more of at a later date...

For some reason this is the first post I see in this thread, I would love to see the pictures...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

It is suggested that the origin of this transient is a stellar merger and that an entire class of similar transients, luminous red novae, exists.

There is no prior detection of a source at the transient’s location in the NRAO VLA Sky Survey (Condon et al. 1998) at 1.4 GHz to the survey 5 detection limit of 2.5 mJy beam−1. There is no X-ray detection at this location in a 5 ks exposure in the Chandra Telescope XBootes survey (Kenter et al. 2005) to the detection limit of 7.8 × 10−15 erg cm−2 s−1 in the full 0.5-7 keV band.

arxiv.org...

[edit on 15-9-2008 by arktkchr]

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Perhaps it was a portal opening..
or a opening of this dimension to another universe. It said it got brighter over 100 days then faded the same amount of time. Or it could be something a mundane as ....maybe GOD farted.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Have you LostNemesis on your "Ignore List"?

The photos are the ones on this post by arktkchr.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I hope lostnemisis has not hit me with ignore, I know that I am different, but with this kind of knowledge I just may have a crazy in put or two.

Very interesting indeed. The timing is what is most unusual.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I know it was mentioned briefly, but it seems everyone is hell bent on it being a coincidence or something but... this didn't even happen this year and beyond that, given the distance this thing *may* be away, the event that caused this light happened a long time ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join