It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas officials: It's too late to get out (20000+ still on island)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Great thread. (for lack of a less... happy word) I have to admit that I was not paying as much attention to Texas as I could have been. The sites and info posted here actually made it more of a reality in my mind. Thank you for the sources.

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
On a side note, in a mandatory evacuation your still not forced to leave. it just meants that your on your own if you dont.

This is a good point to bring up - they are on their own. This kind of means that they should not have the right to blame the gov for anything, since they have decided not to listen to the gov. I don't doubt, however, that someone will blame the gov in some way... And the point that anachryon brings up about jobs is interesting. I had not realized that workers need a mandatory evacuation to be able to leave in a time like that. The downplaying of the storm makes me sick. If they had called a spade a spade, or dangerous hurricane just that, would more people have evacuated??
Just thought I would post this link to a video on the subject:
too late to evacuate
Look at the waves. It's crazy... Its nice to know that the coast guard is on their game rescuing people... but 65 compared to the 20,000+ that are left...

I don't even know what to think atm.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Whoops\\Sorry about that.

I confused Corpus Cristi with Galveston.

Nevermind

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuebor
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Whoops\\Sorry about that.

I confused Corpus Cristi with Galveston.

Nevermind

Oh. That explains it.

No worries.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Okay, I just got an update on this,(it was on my local TV news so sorry I can't post a link) Ike is supposed to go ashore in Galveston in about 2 hours--which is about Midnight.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think the Mayor had better go down with the ship on this call.

If the mayor survives the hurricane and there are massive losses of life due to her "call" I think the survivors and their relatives will resurrect some long lost texas traditions to express their grief!

Does anyone know where the Mayor is riding this out?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Gary Tuchman from CNN was asked by Anderson Cooper live whether he thought alot of people still remain on the island and he said based on his observations during the day it was very quite and he thinks most left the island.
I agree with the other members calling for the Mayor's head. That was a very poor decision. Incompetent. You think she would have learned from the NOLA officials.

CNN is trying to get the mayor live RIGHT NOW !

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Tuebor]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think some people were thinking that this was another "Rita" when it seemed as if almost everyone evacuated. I did. I was living in Houston at the time and it took me 6 hrs to cover what should have been a 1 hr trip. Maybe next time people will make less emotional and more logical decisions about when and if to leave. Thanks from Texas to all the wellwishers on this thread!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
I think the Mayor had better go down with the ship on this call.

If the mayor survives the hurricane and there are massive losses of life due to her "call" I think the survivors and their relatives will resurrect some long lost texas traditions to express their grief!

Does anyone know where the Mayor is riding this out?

She, along with the media, are staying at the San Luis Hotel. Google Maps link to the hotel.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Here was something I just found... I wish we could get some real numbers for how many people are in Galveston... I see anywhere from 14000 to 22000

CBS 7 Team Weather Coverage of Hurricane Ike 10PM 9/12/08

Galveston, TX- Hurricane Ike is just hours from a catastrophic landfall.

In fact, the forecast is so grim, state officials have said anyone who does not evacuate, faces certain death.

"My fiance and her family stayed here."

Galveston native Douglass Reed returned one last time to convince his future wife to evacuate with him and for good reason.

"Its going to be under water cause I just went to the west side of town, its under water already."

"The evacuations on Galveston Island have ceased because conditions have gotten so dangerous that this area which is further inland than Galveston is completely under water."

"There's a lot of people that dont have vehicles there that can't get out and they're stuck at their homes then you have the hospitals here with kids who can't be relocated because of infection."

Is this really happening?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
On a telephone interview with AC, the Mayor just said there are only 239 people at the shelter on the island and doesn't know anything else.

She mentioned something about 3 structure fires. WHO the %^& cares about fires. THe buildings won't be there tomorrow.

She sounded exhausted and basically incompetent.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
What is the story with the level 4 biohazard facilities in galveston. These are airborne and horrible. This truely scares me!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well Ike is 45 miles South of Galveston right now. Sometimes I'm glad I live far away in Alaska... No snakes, no spiders, no poisonous insects, no tornadoes (usually) and no friggin hurricanes.

-ChriS

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
Well Ike is 45 miles South of Galveston right now. Sometimes I'm glad I live far away in Alaska... No snakes, no spiders, no poisonous insects, no tornadoes (usually) and no friggin hurricanes.

-ChriS

Yeah, but a whole lot of snow and cold though!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This from the BBC...

Residents of coastal Galveston face "certain death" if they stay, the National Weather Service has warned.

BBC

Certain death?

It's THAT bad? That everyone who stays is definitely going to die?

I think the national weather service might be exaggerating a bit... but it certainly makes the people staying behind look like complete nuts.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I think you kind of nailed it here. I would imagine most folks in that region understand what they are facing and understand their personal situation.

Apparently, folks have actually left the barrier islands there and are finding refuge further inland. I doubt there will be large scale casualties in Texas tonight. If any at all.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
KHOU just had the mayor of galveston on but I missed it, anybody see it?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tmbandt

I think you kind of nailed it here. I would imagine most folks in that region understand what they are facing and understand their personal situation.

Apparently, folks have actually left the barrier islands there and are finding refuge further inland. I doubt there will be large scale casualties in Texas tonight. If any at all.

Frantic calls for rescue have been coming in to Galveston 911 from residents. Police were out for a time and rescued those they could reach, but they've been pulled off the streets for awhile now due to extreme flooding and wind. No further rescues until the storm has passed.
Calls for rescue are still coming in now. They will not be rescued under any circumstance until sometime tomorrow.

Over 20,000 people stayed on the island.
These people had no idea the severity of what was barreling towards them, and if they did they didn't care.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It is not a good thing.. I see here that 23000 people stuck around and they do not know what to expect in the am...

Stranded Galveston residents call in vain for help

As Hurricane Ike pushed a swelling surge onto Galveston Island this morning, many of the estimated 23,000 Galveston residents who ignored a mandatory evacuation order phoned for rescues to no avail because emergency workers were called off the streets, officials said.

Help wasn't expected until after dangerous storm conditions subsided.

"We don't know what we're going to find tomorrow," said the city's mayor, Lyda Ann Thomas. "We hope we'll find that the people who didn't leave here are alive and well."

''It's unfortunate that the warning we sent out the mayor's mandatory evacuation was not heeded,'' he said.

By comparison, nearly 100 percent of Galveston left the island during Hurricane Rita, just three years ago.

Galveston Island was the site of the nation's deadliest natural disaster the hurricane of 1900, which claimed at least 6,000 lives.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The first warning I get about a hurricane coming, I take the advice of others and leave. There is no sense in placing your families lives in danger over some replacable property like a home or car. Everything in life can be replaced except for life. Once it's gone, it will never come back.

I hope that those who survive learn their lesson and not place their lives in danger for something not worth dying for.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
A good friend of mine and his family are right in the midst of the hurricane and on the island. I told him I'd seriously be sad if things didn't pan out for them, but honestly would take it for what it is.. a choice to put their life in danger rather than abandoning the monetary crap for the sake of their lives. How the hell does anyone think their staying there will ensure the safety of their home and possessions in such a situation? It is beyond me.

If one chooses to stay in the path of something that could bring death when they have been given adequate warning and the adequate means to leave, what is expected from the rest of us?

*waits by the phone anxiously*

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join